Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Florida Woman's lotto legacy lives on after 25 years>>

Topic closed. 47 replies. Last post 3 years ago by sully16.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
LAS VEGAS
United States
Member #47729
November 22, 2006
4508 Posts
Posted: August 22, 2013, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

Woman's lotto legacy lives on Hurray!

Almost 25 years ago Sheelah Ryan made history when she won a staggering $55 million jackpot in the Florida lottery, becoming the largest single lottery winner in America. With the Florida lottery again hitting huge highs this week locals remember Ryan, who passed away in 1994 of cancer at the age of 69, not for the money she won but for how she spent it. The Ryan Foundation, which she established shortly after her windfall, helped everyone from children, to abused women, to senior citizens and stray animals. "I think it was by the grace of God I won," Mrs. Ryan said in 1989, as quoted in her New York Times obituary. "I realized there must have been a reason He gave me the money, so I decided to give some of it to senior citizens and the homeless." Today, her Ryan Foundation lives on and continues toEddessa give to 20-25 organizations each year, says spokesperson Pamela Ohab. "If you had her as a friend," Ohab says, "you really only needed one friend."
EddessaKnight
    MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
    Beautiful Florida
    United States
    Member #5709
    July 18, 2004
    20124 Posts
    Posted: August 22, 2013, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

Very caring and intelligent Woman. As you can see, if it's done right, it will continue to succeed.

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: August 22, 2013, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

Almost 25 years ago Sheelah Ryan made history when she won a staggering $55 million jackpot in the Florida lottery, becoming the largest single lottery winner in America. With the Florida lottery again hitting huge highs this week locals remember Ryan, who passed away in 1994 of cancer at the age of 69, not for the money she won but for how she spent it. The Ryan Foundation, which she established shortly after her windfall, helped everyone from children, to abused women, to senior citizens and stray animals. "I think it was by the grace of God I won," Mrs. Ryan said in 1989, as quoted in her New York Times obituary. "I realized there must have been a reason He gave me the money, so I decided to give some of it to senior citizens and the homeless." Today, her Ryan Foundation lives on and continues toEddessa give to 20-25 organizations each year, says spokesperson Pamela Ohab. "If you had her as a friend," Ohab says, "you really only needed one friend."
      EddessaKnight

"I think it was by the grace of God I won," Mrs. Ryan said in 1989... I realized there must have been a reason He gave me the money..."

God Bless her.

They're not making them like that anymore.

Our schools don't allow praying in school anymore, they've banned God and don't even allow the mention of His Holy Name, Jesus.

With the new generations coming up now, it's "anything goes," "if it feels good do it" and "every man for himself."

And we'll all pay the price for that eventually.

London
        United Kingdom
        Member #140684
        March 24, 2013
        566 Posts
        Posted: August 22, 2013, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Anyone remember that man who won a huge amount something like 150M - 200m on the Powerball or Mega Millions and then donated the whole amount to his church.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
          Kentucky
          United States
          Member #35086
          March 12, 2006
          10374 Posts
          Posted: August 22, 2013, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

"I think it was by the grace of God I won," Mrs. Ryan said in 1989... I realized there must have been a reason He gave me the money..."

God Bless her.

Our schools don't allow praying in school anymore, they've banned God and don't even allow the mention of His Holy Name, Jesus.

With the new generations coming up now, it's "anything goes," "if it feels good do it" and "every man for himself."

Amen    To     That       Ridge      Thumbs Up

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #35086
            March 12, 2006
            10374 Posts
            Posted: August 22, 2013, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

EddessaKnight

Sheelah    Ryan

She   Had    Style       Patriot

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
              Texas Panhandle
              United States
              Member #136843
              December 20, 2012
              1285 Posts
              Posted: August 22, 2013, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

God Bless her.

Thumbs Up Well worth repeating.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19831 Posts
                Posted: August 22, 2013, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

Anyone remember that man who won a huge amount something like 150M - 200m on the Powerball or Mega Millions and then donated the whole amount to his church.

Apparently not, I know I've never heard of any such person although I have heard of lottery winners donating their winning ticket to different charities anonymously.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                  Member #143211
                  May 27, 2013
                  1982 Posts
                  Posted: August 23, 2013, 12:39 am - IP Logged

A caring person indeed, How many cars, houses can one person have you read how stupidly person spend there money after they win.  My wish always been to set up something for people that have Cancer , since both my parent had it  along taking care of the seniors because they are always forgotten .  Maybe one day , my wish would come true.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #35086
                    March 12, 2006
                    10374 Posts
                    Posted: August 23, 2013, 1:37 am - IP Logged

A caring person indeed, How many cars, houses can one person have you read how stupidly person spend there money after they win.  My wish always been to set up something for people that have Cancer , since both my parent had it  along taking care of the seniors because they are always forgotten .  Maybe one day , my wish would come true.

I  have  always   thought  along  the   same   lines    Nydebbie

Much  Good   could   be  done

My  thought  for many years if  I  won   , was   too   help  my   Aunts  and   Uncles  ,  etc. ,  that had worked hard all their  life  in  the  hot  sun

But being as most all  of  them have gone on  to   Glory  now ,  my  thoughts  these days  , would be to start no kill animal  shelters  all  over   the   country  ,  to  be  run  by   responsible   people 

And  to  also  help  wounded   veterans  , and  homeless  veterans  , and  all  the veterans  that  I  could , because they  are  the  True   Heroes  of  the  world    ( not  the  politicians )

And  if  I  ever  would  win  the  big   one.............that  is  exactly  what  I  would   do

On  My  Word  and   Honor

And   Thats   A    Fact

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                      Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #82391
                      November 12, 2009
                      6290 Posts
                      Posted: August 23, 2013, 10:02 am - IP Logged

This brought tears to my eyes thanks for sharing eddessaknight. Thank you Mrs. Ryan and may God continue to bless your soul. Blue Angel

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Oklahoma
                        United States
                        Member #82391
                        November 12, 2009
                        6290 Posts
                        Posted: August 23, 2013, 10:02 am - IP Logged

God Bless her.

Amen ridgeI Agree!

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Oklahoma
                          United States
                          Member #82391
                          November 12, 2009
                          6290 Posts
                          Posted: August 23, 2013, 10:15 am - IP Logged

I  have  always   thought  along  the   same   lines    Nydebbie

Much  Good   could   be  done

My  thought  for many years if  I  won   , was   too   help  my   Aunts  and   Uncles  ,  etc. ,  that had worked hard all their  life  in  the  hot  sun

But being as most all  of  them have gone on  to   Glory  now ,  my  thoughts  these days  , would be to start no kill animal  shelters  all  over   the   country  ,  to  be  run  by   responsible   people 

And  to  also  help  wounded   veterans  , and  homeless  veterans  , and  all  the veterans  that  I  could , because they  are  the  True   Heroes  of  the  world    ( not  the  politicians )

And  if  I  ever  would  win  the  big   one.............that  is  exactly  what  I  would   do

On  My  Word  and   Honor

And   Thats   A    Fact

This Country/ World needs more men and women like you Astekblue & NydebbieThumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: August 23, 2013, 10:17 am - IP Logged

EddessaKnight

Wait...... Did you sign your name to something you copy and pasted? Green laugh

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                              u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106665
                              February 22, 2011
                              19911 Posts
                              Posted: August 23, 2013, 10:29 am - IP Logged

EddessaKnight

thanks for postingPatriot