Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MM numbers looks odd again??

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 3 years ago by noise-gate.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
Texas Panhandle
United States
Member #136843
December 20, 2012
1285 Posts
Posted: September 7, 2013, 9:33 am - IP Logged

I bought two QP tickets f/ this last MM drawing;  here are the numbers:

41 43 54 55 56   01

03 05 09 12 13   12

Both lines were "unusual" but when I first looked at them, I thought they'd do as well as any others...and I was right, they did just as well as all the other losing tickets.  It used to "bother" me when the mega-ball/powerball was the same as a number in the five, but I've won a few bucks recently with tickets like that.

Not long after the Texas Lotto first started, a man got six QP on a ticket and two lines were identical.   I read that the odds against that are the same as picking the winning numbers.   Seems like I remember someone in here having the same thing happen to them on their state lottery, was a five number game, though.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
    Upacreek
    United States
    Member #136306
    December 8, 2012
    429 Posts
    Posted: September 7, 2013, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

41 43 54 55 56   01

03 05 09 12 13   12

Both lines were "unusual" but when I first looked at them, I thought they'd do as well as any others...and I was right, they did just as well as all the other losing tickets.  It used to "bother" me when the mega-ball/powerball was the same as a number in the five, but I've won a few bucks recently with tickets like that.

Not long after the Texas Lotto first started, a man got six QP on a ticket and two lines were identical.   I read that the odds against that are the same as picking the winning numbers.   Seems like I remember someone in here having the same thing happen to them on their state lottery, was a five number game, though.

Interesting... identical QP's on the same ticket for a single draw???  That would be kinda bogus (unless you won with those 2 lines).

Now those numbers you got "appear" a little unusual to me... however, they still could yield a winner just as much as any other set!

If those numbers had been dealt to me, as irrational as it sounds, I would "feel" as though they were unlikely to win... I can't explain it... like I said "irrational".

-RC

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
      Texas Panhandle
      United States
      Member #136843
      December 20, 2012
      1285 Posts
      Posted: September 7, 2013, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Interesting... identical QP's on the same ticket for a single draw???  That would be kinda bogus (unless you won with those 2 lines).

Now those numbers you got "appear" a little unusual to me... however, they still could yield a winner just as much as any other set!

If those numbers had been dealt to me, as irrational as it sounds, I would "feel" as though they were unlikely to win... I can't explain it... like I said "irrational".

Yup, there was an article in the Amarillo paper about it and they quoted some math prof. from a local college about the odds of it happening.  I also remember another man from Texas playing one of the nationwide lotteries in New Mexico who got 6 or 7 QP and they were all the same number.  I saw a photo of all the tickets, but still wondered if it *might* be some sort of hoax.  If not, then there had to be something wrong w/ that lotto terminal, wouldn't you say?

Both lines looked funny to me, the one with all low numbers and the other with mostly high numbers.    I understand intellectually that any set has the same chance as any other, but like you say, there's the "feel" about them.   I wouldn't consider myself very superstitious, but when I buy a ticket and the multiplier is the same as one of the other numbers, I buy another ticket.  I also buy another ticket if the clerk makes a mistake about the annuity/cash option.  I have playslips to keep that from happening, but sometimes I don't have them with me when I remember to buy a ticket.

I used to play a set of numbers, my birthday, my old h.s. football number, my lucky number, my age...but had to quit when my age got higher than the highest numbered ball. <grin>  I used to play the number in the fortune cookie when I ate Chinese food but never had any hit for any amt.  I've tried number generators, was in a pool for a while, made a dartboard number chart but never had any luck w/ those.  Now it's just QP for me, one usually but sometimes a couple.  I don't keep records, afraid that would discourage me but I know I'm down for the year, but over the last couple of months I'm prob. ahead a little bit.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
       - George Orwell

Marana AZ
        United States
        Member #145341
        August 3, 2013
        178 Posts
        Posted: September 7, 2013, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

In about 1 of 11 drawings the Mega number is the same as one of the white balls. Therefore, nothing unusual about the 8/27 and 9/3 draws. Also, sequential numbers are not unusual. In a random drawing, any of the alloted numbers can be drawn. The only pattern in Mega Millions is that there really is no pattern.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
          Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #82391
          November 12, 2009
          6290 Posts
          Posted: September 7, 2013, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Do you think this is odd for ramdom number picking?

August 27    4 7 30 36 38 - 38           ( 38 and 38 )

August 30    6 19 24 43 44 - 33         ( 43 and 44 )

Sept.   3       4 13 14 28 41 - 28         ( 28 and 28 )  ( 13 and 14 )

What do you think? no, yes

No No Nod

I Love Pink & Green 1908

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: September 7, 2013, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

41 43 54 55 56   01

03 05 09 12 13   12

I remember someone posted the tickets with the same #last year.  it was during the Mega millions frenzy

I Love Pink & Green 1908

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4111 Posts
              Posted: September 7, 2013, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

Do you think this is odd for ramdom number picking?

August 27    4 7 30 36 38 - 38           ( 38 and 38 )

August 30    6 19 24 43 44 - 33         ( 43 and 44 )

Sept.   3       4 13 14 28 41 - 28         ( 28 and 28 )  ( 13 and 14 )

What do you think? no, yes

What would Gloria McKenzie have said had looked at her ticket before that historic drawing and said " These QP numbers look Odd"?