Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is giving a 2 Week Notice even an option?

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Supersixx.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #6570
August 28, 2004
36 Posts
Posted: September 18, 2013, 5:34 am - IP Logged

So, you just hit the Lotto and decide the "right" thing to do is give your place of work a 2 Week Notice.

Here are a few things Ive been Pondering.....

1) Everyone will know where you work, leaving you a target with no escape! You will recieve phone calls and have people just randomly showing up. How        many times have you tried avoiding someone and they choose to show up at your work? Happens to me all the time! Now you will have Media,                       Family, financial institutions, and anybody begging for money or has a sad sad story to sell. How much could you take? how much would your work          take?

2) Are you ready for all kinds of akwardness in the way your co-workers will treat you? They are working paycheck to pacheck and working to survive               and your there, why? Are they Jealous? Are they talking behind your back? Have you tried really hard not to talk about winning the lottery? Even                saying you bought a new car will send thier eyes rolling. Even if they are happy for you and everything is roses, these thoughts will creep in and thats     when the akwardness starts.

3) Your Boss......Will he look at your 2 week notice and tell you your services are no longer needed or will he be willing to let you work the whole 2 weeks?       I  find this topic interesting because essentially by winning the lotto you have one upped him. Money is success and now you have more than  him.            His questions will be based on.........Are you going to work or have your head up in the clouds, what will office morale be(see 2), will he be easy or              harder on you, and does it matter.

Is giving a 2 week Notice even an Option? Would it be better to take off and go into hiding until the whole circus calms down? and after thinking of thses things would you put yourself in this position and why?

United States
    Member #94616
    July 24, 2010
    4735 Posts
    Posted: September 18, 2013, 6:21 am - IP Logged

Item 1 - No problem, have a guard they can't get past. 

Item 2 - Co-workers might be a BIT of a problem but not too bad.

Item 3 - We are so short staffed (yet the company I work for makes HUNDREDS of millions each quarter in PROFIT!) they would take ANY time I would give them before leaving! In fact they would ask me to stay longer - 'can you stay till we can get a replacement and get them trained?' which could take 3-4 months--- NOT! 2 weeks and I would be FREE!

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40339 Posts
      Posted: September 18, 2013, 7:21 am - IP Logged

4 years ago, I may have given notice, but at this point, I would be retired asap,

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
        Member #130815
        July 25, 2012
        1636 Posts
        Posted: September 18, 2013, 8:06 am - IP Logged

So, you just hit the Lotto and decide the "right" thing to do is give your place of work a 2 Week Notice.

Here are a few things Ive been Pondering.....

1) Everyone will know where you work, leaving you a target with no escape! You will recieve phone calls and have people just randomly showing up. How        many times have you tried avoiding someone and they choose to show up at your work? Happens to me all the time! Now you will have Media,                       Family, financial institutions, and anybody begging for money or has a sad sad story to sell. How much could you take? how much would your work          take?

2) Are you ready for all kinds of akwardness in the way your co-workers will treat you? They are working paycheck to pacheck and working to survive               and your there, why? Are they Jealous? Are they talking behind your back? Have you tried really hard not to talk about winning the lottery? Even                saying you bought a new car will send thier eyes rolling. Even if they are happy for you and everything is roses, these thoughts will creep in and thats     when the akwardness starts.

3) Your Boss......Will he look at your 2 week notice and tell you your services are no longer needed or will he be willing to let you work the whole 2 weeks?       I  find this topic interesting because essentially by winning the lotto you have one upped him. Money is success and now you have more than  him.            His questions will be based on.........Are you going to work or have your head up in the clouds, what will office morale be(see 2), will he be easy or              harder on you, and does it matter.

Is giving a 2 week Notice even an Option? Would it be better to take off and go into hiding until the whole circus calms down? and after thinking of thses things would you put yourself in this position and why?

So give the 2 week notice and while you're working the two weeks get your financial team in place and then the day after your last day go claim your jackpot...No dealing with co-workers or people seeking you out...

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5114 Posts
          Posted: September 18, 2013, 8:34 am - IP Logged

Item 1 - No problem, have a guard they can't get past. 

Item 2 - Co-workers might be a BIT of a problem but not too bad.

Item 3 - We are so short staffed (yet the company I work for makes HUNDREDS of millions each quarter in PROFIT!) they would take ANY time I would give them before leaving! In fact they would ask me to stay longer - 'can you stay till we can get a replacement and get them trained?' which could take 3-4 months--- NOT! 2 weeks and I would be FREE!

KPA:

Psyko does not think a BIG JP winner should give a NOTICE unless U work N

LIFE SAVING OCCUPATION>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!

Sounds like U might not give a 2WK if U HIT D $100 + MILLION JP cause it>

could take up 2 3-4 months---------4UR replacement>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!

Psyko hopes U>NOT work NA LIFE SAVING OCCUPATION...........................

Jack-in-the-Box 

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
            Republic of Texas
            United States
            Member #57557
            January 9, 2008
            1095 Posts
            Posted: September 18, 2013, 8:54 am - IP Logged

So give the 2 week notice and while you're working the two weeks get your financial team in place and then the day after your last day go claim your jackpot...No dealing with co-workers or people seeking you out...

I Agree!

You don't claim, and then give a 2 week notice. You give notice, you don't owe anyone a reason, make something up if you feel the need - relocating to be with elderly parents, retiring, etc.

I'd give notice so I could train someone in the basics, but use up my PTO before notice was done. We have an office pool for the bigger jackpots, and we've decided should we win, we'll all come in and do a conference call to the corp office in Connecticut to tell them we were cleaning our desks out and they could find our keys at the empty reception desk.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #74096
              May 2, 2009
              22863 Posts
              Posted: September 18, 2013, 9:08 am - IP Logged

When they find someone better to replace YOU due to skills, age, cutbacks...etc, will they give you 2 weeks notice?

I'd think about it this way, unless you have an outstanding place in the company where they need you more than you need

them and it would put them at a very big disadvantage having you quit immediately and you've been there for years, I

wouldn't have a problem saying:

I won't be in tomorrow...or I quit, effective NOW.

Why stick around and be subjected to questioning, gossip and backstabbing?

You are rich now, act the part.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                NY
                United States
                Member #121961
                January 21, 2012
                3157 Posts
                Posted: September 18, 2013, 10:45 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

You don't claim, and then give a 2 week notice. You give notice, you don't owe anyone a reason, make something up if you feel the need - relocating to be with elderly parents, retiring, etc.

I'd give notice so I could train someone in the basics, but use up my PTO before notice was done. We have an office pool for the bigger jackpots, and we've decided should we win, we'll all come in and do a conference call to the corp office in Connecticut to tell them we were cleaning our desks out and they could find our keys at the empty reception desk.

All the bosses are in our pool so that would make it easy, but if i won by myself i would do what you said only after i used up vacation time first.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                  Los Angeles, California
                  United States
                  Member #103813
                  January 5, 2011
                  1530 Posts
                  Posted: September 18, 2013, 10:46 am - IP Logged

When they find someone better to replace YOU due to skills, age, cutbacks...etc, will they give you 2 weeks notice?

I'd think about it this way, unless you have an outstanding place in the company where they need you more than you need

them and it would put them at a very big disadvantage having you quit immediately and you've been there for years, I

I Agree! If a company decides to let you go, they won't extend YOU the same courtesy.

The 2 weeks notice is overvalued by employees. It's either not enough time, or too much time and you're just a lame duck the last week. No matter how important you think you are, guess what, you can be replaced. The main thing is to leave on good terms, the time is not as important.

If you're in a highly technical position as a subject matter expert, you might need to spend more time handing over the responsibilities. If you're in a critical project management position, if the company is any good, they should have backups identified and succesion plan in place. In either case, 2 weeks won't ease the pain for the company much more than a few days. They need to deal with it eventually.

Be firm. You're a multimillionaire. You'll never have to work for anyone again. YOU will be the employer in the future. So that little 2 week notice don't amount to squat! The clock is ticking on your new life, and the interest is trickling away the longer you delay your claim.

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
                    SW Florida
                    United States
                    Member #145673
                    August 11, 2013
                    152 Posts
                    Posted: September 18, 2013, 10:52 am - IP Logged

I'm self-employed but if I did work for a company, that's how I would feel. Number one I would have absolutely no motivation to work for them anymore so I'd be useless anyway. Number two, after winning a big jackpot there's a lot of financial, tax and personal stuff to take care of immediately, so work would get in the way of that. 

I suppose it depends on what sort of company you work for but every one of the big corporations I've worked for in the past had no qualms about tossing people out with no notice during their various cutbacks or random re-organizations, so I've never felt like I owed them anything other than showing up for work and doing my best. Other than that, nada.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                      Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #82391
                      November 12, 2009
                      6290 Posts
                      Posted: September 18, 2013, 11:16 am - IP Logged

I would since the company I work for has been good to me, but only two weeks after that I'm outa thereWink

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                        Charlotte NC
                        United States
                        Member #17406
                        June 18, 2005
                        4053 Posts
                        Posted: September 18, 2013, 11:59 am - IP Logged

A one week's notice is the norm now. Some companies don't want you hanging around for two weeks after notice, especially if your job is easily transitioned and any idiot can do it and there's 3000 who are willing to do you job for less money and benefits.  It badly influences co-workers, inspiring them to resign 2, bad mouthing and the risk of sabotage.  ive seen a woman after serving notice, twerk (no kidding) and dance her way out the door with a big grin on her face and 4 people followed suit to the same new job.  Pretty much 2day it's get the f*ck on and don't let the door hit u in the u no what. Lottery win or not.  For all you people who work with good people and a good company, blessings to you and them but it's becoming a thing of the past.

takeemtothebank

Jani Norman's avatar - fiftyways
                          OHIO
                          United States
                          Member #4164
                          March 27, 2004
                          14586 Posts
                          Posted: September 18, 2013, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

A one week's notice is the norm now. Some companies don't want you hanging around for two weeks after notice, especially if your job is easily transitioned and any idiot can do it and there's 3000 who are willing to do you job for less money and benefits.  It badly influences co-workers, inspiring them to resign 2, bad mouthing and the risk of sabotage.  ive seen a woman after serving notice, twerk (no kidding) and dance her way out the door with a big grin on her face and 4 people followed suit to the same new job.  Pretty much 2day it's get the f*ck on and don't let the door hit u in the u no what. Lottery win or not.  For all you people who work with good people and a good company, blessings to you and them but it's becoming a thing of the past.

I Agree!      Thumbs Up

Everything you say is so true, sad but true

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/

United States
                            Member #6570
                            August 28, 2004
                            36 Posts
                            Posted: September 18, 2013, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

Wait, what????

You would give your 2 weeks before the money is in the bank???? At this point all you have is a piece of paper, not millions in the bank.

The first thing you would need to do is make sure the ticket is Ironclad and you wont show up to the lottery office to find out the ticket is not legit! Sorry you are not the winner and you are now jobless.

The second thing you would need is to make sure the Ticket is kept safe. I have had nightmares about my house being robbed or being burned down. Ive also have had dreams that I got to my saftey deposit box and its contents were gone and one where I got to the lotto office and cant find my ticket.

I have always been taught to never count your money until its in your hand. In case of the lottery I wouldnt be able to sleep until I turned that piece of paper into cold hard cash. If you could give 2 weeks notice before having cash in hand, that would be mighty brave of you!

United States
                              Member #130815
                              July 25, 2012
                              1636 Posts
                              Posted: September 18, 2013, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

Wait, what????

You would give your 2 weeks before the money is in the bank???? At this point all you have is a piece of paper, not millions in the bank.

The first thing you would need to do is make sure the ticket is Ironclad and you wont show up to the lottery office to find out the ticket is not legit! Sorry you are not the winner and you are now jobless.

The second thing you would need is to make sure the Ticket is kept safe. I have had nightmares about my house being robbed or being burned down. Ive also have had dreams that I got to my saftey deposit box and its contents were gone and one where I got to the lotto office and cant find my ticket.

I have always been taught to never count your money until its in your hand. In case of the lottery I wouldnt be able to sleep until I turned that piece of paper into cold hard cash. If you could give 2 weeks notice before having cash in hand, that would be mighty brave of you!

LOL well that goes without saying....I mean of course you'd check the ticket to see if you won, how would the ticket somehow end up not being a legit ticket....I don't buy into any of that...I'd give my two weeks workout my financial situation then go and claim my money....plain and simple