Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should you tip the clerk who sold you a winning ticket?

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 3 years ago by mikeintexas.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Vergie6's avatar - Santa 20kitty.jpg
North Carolina
United States
Member #59855
March 29, 2008
31553 Posts
Posted: October 20, 2013, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to know how others feel about this.  I was in a store the other day & the clerk told me someone gave her $100 of a win they got...she didn't say how much they won & I didn't ask but here's my feeling about it. She said she had gotten "tips" before also.  I told her I thought she could buy her own tickets like I have to do.

I don't think I should give them anything because they could buy their own scratch cards or p3 tickets or whatever.  They did not help me get the win...all they did was sell me the scratch card or ticket.  That's part of their job.

So, how do you all feel about it?

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1129 Posts
    Posted: October 20, 2013, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to know how others feel about this.  I was in a store the other day & the clerk told me someone gave her $100 of a win they got...she didn't say how much they won & I didn't ask but here's my feeling about it. She said she had gotten "tips" before also.  I told her I thought she could buy her own tickets like I have to do.

I don't think I should give them anything because they could buy their own scratch cards or p3 tickets or whatever.  They did not help me get the win...all they did was sell me the scratch card or ticket.  That's part of their job.

The store gets paid just for selling the ticket, not including the bonuses they get when they sell jackpot winning tickets. The clerk may not see that money directly, but it goes towards their wages. It's not like they're in the service industry.

I never tell a clerk how much I've won, and I usually never cash tickets at the same store where I've purchased them.

Personally, I would never tip a clerk. To each their own, I guess.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
      Member #141260
      April 9, 2013
      1390 Posts
      Posted: October 20, 2013, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

Yes.  I will tip.  But I never win

North Carolina
        United States
        Member #59855
        March 29, 2008
        31553 Posts
        Posted: October 20, 2013, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

Yes.  I will tip.  But I never win

Then it looks like you won't have to worry about it then.

I hope you do get a win though!

lottoguysocal's avatar - atlantis dubai_1118783i.jpg
          camarillo, ca
          United States
          Member #132476
          September 4, 2012
          144 Posts
          Posted: October 20, 2013, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

should you?  no.  it's a nice gesture if you do, but there's nothing requiring you to tip. guess it just depends on the person.  i'll tip and let you know how the clerk responds lol.

North Carolina
            United States
            Member #59855
            March 29, 2008
            31553 Posts
            Posted: October 20, 2013, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

The store gets paid just for selling the ticket, not including the bonuses they get when they sell jackpot winning tickets. The clerk may not see that money directly, but it goes towards their wages. It's not like they're in the service industry.

I never tell a clerk how much I've won, and I usually never cash tickets at the same store where I've purchased them.

Personally, I would never tip a clerk. To each their own, I guess.

I don't cash mine at that store I was speaking about either because when I tried to one or 2 times I was told they didn't have the money...they don't mind selling me the tickets or scratch cards but never have the money to cash them with.

BUT this one clerk who said she got the $100 tip always ask me every time I go in did I get the p3 or p4 number that just hit...& for those who know I buy some at some Sheetz stores...it's not any of those stores I'm referring to at all.  They always cash them & so do the "chain" grocery stores.

It was the same way when the Sweepstakes places were open here which are now closed in this county again...they had a sign up saying "tips accepted"...I never gave one a tip but once & only because she kept bugging me about it...again she did nothing at all to help me get that win but take my money for me to play there & I lost more than I won anyway.

I don't think I'm selfish either...it's not like going to a restaurant which I can see tipping them but not a person who only sells you a ticket or takes your money for you to play a computer game.

North Carolina
              United States
              Member #59855
              March 29, 2008
              31553 Posts
              Posted: October 20, 2013, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

should you?  no.  it's a nice gesture if you do, but there's nothing requiring you to tip. guess it just depends on the person.  i'll tip and let you know how the clerk responds lol.

Ok, I'm looking forward to hearing about  it.

I wonder if some stores would forbid their clerks to even accepting tips anyway.

Walter42's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
                Soufriere
                Saint Lucia
                Member #126906
                April 19, 2012
                11 Posts
                Posted: October 20, 2013, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

last wek i gave the store clerk $100, from a $640 lucky 3 win.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19830 Posts
                  Posted: October 20, 2013, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

last wek i gave the store clerk $100, from a $640 lucky 3 win.

I've never won a jackpot but if I did I wouldn't tip anyone.  The stores where I buy my tickets have different clerks all of which I've had dealings with so unless I had a special relationship with one I would have no reason to tip any of them.

What others decide to do don't concern me.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4108 Posts
                    Posted: October 20, 2013, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

If l am buying tickets at a store- the last thing l want to hear from the Clerk is " Tip Talk". Let's ponder on this for a sec, if one ate in a fine restaurant and depending on how good the service was, some people would start tipping at 15%. If one won $1,000,000 and the 15% tip factor kicked in, there is no way l would tip the clerk $150,000.

As someone previously mentioned, the Store gets their " cut" for selling the winning ticket. If l am to give a tip, it will come from the generosity of my heart and not at the prodding of the clerk.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #92330
                      June 5, 2010
                      887 Posts
                      Posted: October 21, 2013, 4:14 am - IP Logged

Should? Absolutely no.

Even if they do give someone a tip, how many times have they given tips that led to no winnings? I bet they didn't give the person any money for the bad tip.

I would tip the clerk depending only on who the clerk was. I go to the same store a lot so see the same clerks over and over. If I hit the jackpot I would tip them a good amount, but if it was anyone else then no.

uprrman's avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                        harvard,il
                        United States
                        Member #96756
                        September 4, 2010
                        2464 Posts
                        Posted: October 21, 2013, 10:56 am - IP Logged

Should? Absolutely no.

Even if they do give someone a tip, how many times have they given tips that led to no winnings? I bet they didn't give the person any money for the bad tip.

I would tip the clerk depending only on who the clerk was. I go to the same store a lot so see the same clerks over and over. If I hit the jackpot I would tip them a good amount, but if it was anyone else then no.

once i got a miday pick instead of a nite draw and i won 500. i gave her a tip for a mistake  she made but i would n't  have won if she had not made the error.

i want to be a millionaire a second time!

North Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #59855
                          March 29, 2008
                          31553 Posts
                          Posted: October 21, 2013, 11:56 am - IP Logged

once i got a miday pick instead of a nite draw and i won 500. i gave her a tip for a mistake  she made but i would n't  have won if she had not made the error.

In that case I guess it was a nice gesture I guess!

Thanks to everybody for your input on this subject.

If I got a huge win my first thought would be to my family for sure!

BUT I know the sister of the man who won 12 million in the mega millions drawing here in NC around 2 or 3 years ago (don't know him though) & I asked her if he gave her any money & she said (no not a dime & he used one of my birthday numbers too!)

I was so shocked & said I was then she said...well I didn't need it...I think he got somewhere around 9 million after taxes or something like that....he waited the limit to come forward to get all his ducks in a row & then bought a winnabago & he & his wife took off across the country...also bought a house in Florida.

I used to buy my tickets on the way home from work at the lottery claims office here & after he won one of them told me he used to come in there beforehand & ask lots of questions about (if) a person got a huge win...they said they had suspected he had won a big one by the questions he asked them & found out later he did.

He had played the same numbers for a long long time & they all finally hit...the funny thing is his wife told him that night all of his numbers hit & all he said was (that's good)...no jumping up & down or anything...I would have had a "hissy fit"!Big Grin Angel

United States
                            Member #130815
                            July 25, 2012
                            1636 Posts
                            Posted: October 21, 2013, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

I haven't had the pleasure of being able to do that, but I hopoe one day I'll be able to have that option...if I so desire to

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #80614
                              October 1, 2009
                              16 Posts
                              Posted: October 21, 2013, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

I probably would give a small tip. At the store I buy most tickets, the clerk usually asks about my girlfriend's kids. I'll give him a tip if I felt I've own enough to do so.

I will quit playing the lottery, as soon as I break even.