Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should you tip the clerk who sold you a winning ticket?

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 3 years ago by mikeintexas.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
Member #4877
May 30, 2004
5120 Posts
Posted: October 21, 2013, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

V6:

Thumbs Up Good^thread^>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BUT, and there is always a butt in the crowd>>>>>>>

(1)   YES..................if UR win is $100 buck$>>>>>>>>>and^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(2)    No ................  if UR win is LESS buck$>>>>>>>>>but, that is ONLY my feel'g bout this situation$$$

Jack-in-the-Box

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
    Ontario
    Canada
    Member #109243
    April 9, 2011
    31437 Posts
    Posted: October 21, 2013, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to know how others feel about this.  I was in a store the other day & the clerk told me someone gave her $100 of a win they got...she didn't say how much they won & I didn't ask but here's my feeling about it. She said she had gotten "tips" before also.  I told her I thought she could buy her own tickets like I have to do.

I don't think I should give them anything because they could buy their own scratch cards or p3 tickets or whatever.  They did not help me get the win...all they did was sell me the scratch card or ticket.  That's part of their job.

So, how do you all feel about it?

Just By Telling You They Got A Tip From Someone Else,Sounds Like They're Trying To Make You Feel Like You Should Too If You Won.

For The Reason Alone That they're Hinting At A Tip....Fuggedaboudit!!...I Don't Owe You Anything.

I Guess They Feel There's No Harm In Asking.Nothing Ventured,Nothing Gained.

SaintAndiesPl's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
      Yonkers, NY
      United States
      Member #127830
      May 10, 2012
      120 Posts
      Posted: October 21, 2013, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

If I won a nice size amount like 2,500 .. I done it before the last time me and my mom won way...way...way ...way back in the days LOL.. We tipped $20 because we knew the clerk and he such a nice guy...

It Takes More Than a Dollar and a Dream :)

honeybearcake's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
        Greenville, SC
        United States
        Member #68158
        December 14, 2008
        2199 Posts
        Posted: October 21, 2013, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

I always tip when I win over 40 bucks. I don't feel that I have to but I do it from the heart. Just to see their faces light up when you give them a tip makes me happy!

United States
          Member #143211
          May 27, 2013
          1978 Posts
          Posted: October 21, 2013, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Well, I tip when I lived in Ny , had some big hits I always gone to the same store . One time I hit for 6 thousand on different tickets non a number , the owner went in the back of the store and gave me the money . I did't have to keep going back to collect 500 on one ticket . I have gave him 100 .OO . If I won 500 , I would give 20.00 , 0n 250.oo  20 dollars I gave him.    Anything over 1 thousand I always gave 100.oo.

ThemBonez's avatar - 16314 s.jpg
            Phoenix, AZ
            United States
            Member #136173
            December 5, 2012
            1034 Posts
            Posted: October 21, 2013, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

If I could remember which store and who sold me the ticket. Yeah, probably. Smiley

"JACKPOT BABY!" ...those elusive words still elude me! LOL

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5120 Posts
              Posted: October 21, 2013, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

Just By Telling You They Got A Tip From Someone Else,Sounds Like They're Trying To Make You Feel Like You Should Too If You Won.

For The Reason Alone That they're Hinting At A Tip....Fuggedaboudit!!...I Don't Owe You Anything.

I Guess They Feel There's No Harm In Asking.Nothing Ventured,Nothing Gained.

LottoBUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX;

OMG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Consumer Report's SAY>>>>>>>>>>!!!!

STAY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"AWAY">>>>>>>>>>from:Hit With Stick

LOTTERY POST>AWAY>>"no>>care"<Bash!!

but,??????????>does Lottery Post"care"?

Leaving  Hiding Behind ComputerROFLAgree with stupid>>LP give US  a "WIN"$

Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
                North Carolina
                United States
                Member #59855
                March 29, 2008
                31520 Posts
                Posted: October 22, 2013, 9:50 am - IP Logged

Well, I tip when I lived in Ny , had some big hits I always gone to the same store . One time I hit for 6 thousand on different tickets non a number , the owner went in the back of the store and gave me the money . I did't have to keep going back to collect 500 on one ticket . I have gave him 100 .OO . If I won 500 , I would give 20.00 , 0n 250.oo  20 dollars I gave him.    Anything over 1 thousand I always gave 100.oo.

Sounds like you've had good really good wins...I haven't had those kinds of wins...if I did maybe I might change my mind.

Anyway...the clerk I was talking about earlier...when I bought my tickets from her last night I asked her how much did the person win who gave her the $100 & she told me he won $5000

...it's the same person who buys anywhere from $500 to $2000 p3 numbers every Monday for the week...oh yes and the Mgr. told me that last week he did spend $2000 for that week & did not win a dime the whole week...he said he puts a lot on each number he plays so when he does hit he hits really big.

It does take the clerk a long time to run all of his tickets & if anyone else comes in at that time to play the lottery they can just forget it so maybe he tips her because she works so hard running all of those tickets for him...Big Grin Angel...even though it is her "job"!

This person left a reciept laying on the counter one time which the computer prints out & the mgr. gave it to me & I couldn't believe anyone played that much...it was quite awhile back & was well over $600...I posted the picture of it on the NC thread...since then I've learned that people with lots of money do play that much but even if I had it I don't think I would....he gets big wins so just plays big!

I've never met him but hope to pick his brain if I ever do...see what makes him tick!Big Grin Angel

North Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #59855
                  March 29, 2008
                  31520 Posts
                  Posted: October 22, 2013, 9:57 am - IP Logged

I always tip when I win over 40 bucks. I don't feel that I have to but I do it from the heart. Just to see their faces light up when you give them a tip makes me happy!

Honeybearcake you must really have a good heart because $40 is not much...but if it makes you feel better then guess it's worth it for you.

Actually I bought some lunch one time for a homeless man who was outside of the Sheetz store with some of what I won for that day so that made me feel good too...should do that more often...rather do that than tip the clerk.

His face really lit up when I sat it on the table for him...he had everything he owned in a backpack with him & I stayed there and watched it for him while he went to the bathroom to wash his hands.

Guess this thread is good for me to remember that & do it more often!...that's what life is about anyway....not seeing how much we can get for ourselves but we forget it sometimes or at least I do!

North Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #59855
                    March 29, 2008
                    31520 Posts
                    Posted: October 22, 2013, 10:14 am - IP Logged

Sounds like you had some really good luck in NY!

Fayetteville, NC
                      United States
                      Member #142842
                      May 19, 2013
                      328 Posts
                      Posted: October 22, 2013, 10:26 am - IP Logged

from the heart    I Agree!

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                        Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #74096
                        May 2, 2009
                        22897 Posts
                        Posted: October 22, 2013, 10:27 am - IP Logged

No I don't think you should tip. You picked the numbers, you pay for the numbers and win or lose it was your money

you spent to win or lose.

If you get the feeling someone is waiting for a tip from your winning ticket or they say things like, do you tip or hey how

about some for me or I sold you the ticket..I'd find another place to play.

It's the clerks job to sell tickets, they don't rely on tips for their wages. Sure they might not make much but that's not your

problem and it's certainly not on you to give what you won to them...what? for passing over a ticket? punching in your

numbers? I'm with you on feeling if they want to play they can. A bold clerk and my money don't mix: It's mine.

Get your own.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

sully16's avatar - sharan
                          Ringleader
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #81740
                          October 28, 2009
                          40422 Posts
                          Posted: October 22, 2013, 10:32 am - IP Logged

No I don't think you should tip. You picked the numbers, you pay for the numbers and win or lose it was your money

If you get the feeling someone is waiting for a tip from your winning ticket or they say things like, do you tip or hey how

It's the clerks job to sell tickets, they don't rely on tips for their wages. Sure they might not make much but that's not your

problem and it's certainly not on you to give what you won to them...what? for passing over a ticket? punching in your

numbers? I'm with you on feeling if they want to play they can. A bold clerk and my money don't mix: It's mine.

Get your own.

Right on !I Agree!

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                            Florida
                            United States
                            Member #61435
                            May 22, 2008
                            907 Posts
                            Posted: October 22, 2013, 10:52 am - IP Logged

When I win a large amount, if it is one of the regular clerks at the many places I play, yes I will give them something.

North Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #59855
                              March 29, 2008
                              31520 Posts
                              Posted: October 22, 2013, 11:23 am - IP Logged

Get your own.

Thanks dr65...good answer!