Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$20 scratch off! (I dont think I have the balls to buy one)

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 3 years ago by helpmewin.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #142625
May 16, 2013
34 Posts
Posted: October 24, 2013, 9:27 am - IP Logged

Any of you guys/gals play the $20 scratchers?

What say you?

schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
    Jacksonville, Florida
    United States
    Member #140364
    March 17, 2013
    195 Posts
    Posted: October 24, 2013, 9:37 am - IP Logged

I'm a $5 or less per scratch off ticket kinda person. I've gotten 2 $10 tickets one time and cringed when I bought them and won nothing. Now after looking on the state lottery site and seeing how many grand prizes remain on a $1 ticket, the odds of winning, I have a few times bought 10 $1 scratchers and sometimes break even or just below or just over what I spent. With hopes of winning a few hundred or chance of top prize, I will usually spend those winnings. I mean I did spend $10 in hopes of winning $5,000, so why not buy more with the few I won as long as I don't go over my original $10 limit???

London
      United Kingdom
      Member #140684
      March 24, 2013
      566 Posts
      Posted: October 24, 2013, 9:56 am - IP Logged

I never buy them I am just a draw game type of person, plus I hear the scratchers suck in the UK anyway.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #103813
        January 5, 2011
        1530 Posts
        Posted: October 24, 2013, 10:43 am - IP Logged

What say you?

You should check out the Scratch-Off Games forum.

There are guys there that buy entire rolls of $20 scratch games, $600-$1000 a pop!

SaintAndiesPl's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
          Yonkers, NY
          United States
          Member #127830
          May 10, 2012
          120 Posts
          Posted: October 24, 2013, 11:23 am - IP Logged

I have had more success on the 20 dollar scratch out than any other.. I won 500 twice and 100 4 times... Plus majority of the time I get back my 20 by winning a 20 Crazy... I rather save up to by two 20 dollar scratch out than slowly draining out my money on the small ones.. I rarely have success on 1-10 dollar scratch outs...

It Takes More Than a Dollar and a Dream :)

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
            Happyland
            United States
            Member #146344
            September 1, 2013
            1129 Posts
            Posted: October 24, 2013, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

My favorite are $50 scratchers. With $20 scratchers I have to buy a few before a win, $50s I hit on the first ticket no fail. I would never buy a whole roll of 20s or 50s though, because usually they have some of the worst guaranteed payouts.

Even though it's scary buying higher priced scratchers, the better odds definitely help keep the drawdown low.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
            P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: October 24, 2013, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Never bought one. I'd be really mad if I lost a $20. I am playing the $5 scratch ticket Cadillac Riches at the rate of one a week because it has a second chance drawing of winning a Cadillac.

That money's gone fo ever

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                Texas
                United States
                Member #55889
                October 23, 2007
                5588 Posts
                Posted: October 25, 2013, 10:41 am - IP Logged

My favorite are $50 scratchers. With $20 scratchers I have to buy a few before a win, $50s I hit on the first ticket no fail. I would never buy a whole roll of 20s or 50s though, because usually they have some of the worst guaranteed payouts.

Even though it's scary buying higher priced scratchers, the better odds definitely help keep the drawdown low.

I rarely buy scratchers but I have had my eye on the $7500000 Fortune, which is a $50 tic. That game has been out for almost a year, there are 3 top prizes of $7500000, and none of them have been claimed yet. That makes me wonder if they even distributed them yet. Because of that I'm hesitant to buy one.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
                  Member #142625
                  May 16, 2013
                  34 Posts
                  Posted: October 25, 2013, 11:20 am - IP Logged

Well, I bought one.

ThemBonez's avatar - 16314 s.jpg
                    Phoenix, AZ
                    United States
                    Member #136173
                    December 5, 2012
                    1034 Posts
                    Posted: October 25, 2013, 11:53 am - IP Logged

I buy them every now and again when I have some extra cash.  I've won $20 on a handful of them and $100 on three of them.

"JACKPOT BABY!" ...those elusive words still elude me! LOL

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                      Happyland
                      United States
                      Member #146344
                      September 1, 2013
                      1129 Posts
                      Posted: October 25, 2013, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

I rarely buy scratchers but I have had my eye on the $7500000 Fortune, which is a $50 tic. That game has been out for almost a year, there are 3 top prizes of $7500000, and none of them have been claimed yet. That makes me wonder if they even distributed them yet. Because of that I'm hesitant to buy one.

That's what I bought yesterday, and ended up eating my words. Big Grin Lost on the first one, won $70 on the second one.

According to my math there is about a 86-87% chance at least one of the top prizes have been sold. So it could have been sold just not claimed yet.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                      P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                        NY
                        United States
                        Member #121961
                        January 21, 2012
                        3157 Posts
                        Posted: October 25, 2013, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

Thats got to be the worst scratcher out there. Second place is only 10k on a $50 tic.

NEW YORK
                          United States
                          Member #90535
                          April 29, 2010
                          11975 Posts
                          Posted: October 25, 2013, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

I have had more success on the 20 dollar scratch out than any other.. I won 500 twice and 100 4 times... Plus majority of the time I get back my 20 by winning a 20 Crazy... I rather save up to by two 20 dollar scratch out than slowly draining out my money on the small ones.. I rarely have success on 1-10 dollar scratch outs...

I do not play instant scratch off games, but I like your playing strategy.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

United States
                            Member #122468
                            February 1, 2012
                            530 Posts
                            Posted: October 28, 2013, 8:49 am - IP Logged

What say you?

Hi Jerm3462,

I have bought 20 dollar scratch tickets but not often. Right now I have a 20 dollar scratcher sitting at home that I bought a month ago and haven't scratched it yet. Over the last 7 months I've been buying far less scratch tickets and when I do buy a 20 dollar one I tend to hold onto it for awhile before scratching it. By waiting to scratch a ticket I can tell myself that I do not need to buy any scratchers because I have one at home. I tend to by more 5 and 2 dollar tickets. Sometimes will buy the 10 dollar ones. I buy one scratch ticket and if I don't win will buy one more of the same ticket and then leave the store and wait for weeks sometimes before scratching it. I like to have the illusion of daydreaming about what might be when I eventually do scratch that ticket waiting for me at home, lol.

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #130213
                              July 9, 2012
                              387 Posts
                              Posted: October 28, 2013, 9:09 am - IP Logged

What say you?

The $20 scratcher is for the casual player. If you have $20 to spare, go ahead, take the chance and you have good odds of losing, getting your money back, winning a little more and a small shot at the jackpot.

For chasers, however, it can be the fastest way to lose your shirt. I won $500 once on a $3 scratcher and blew it all on the $20s in an hour or less. It started with a gas stop where I picked up 2 $10 tickets. At home, I remembered the monopoly ticket had a back area to scratch. I went back to the station, searched the trash for my ticket and it was still a loser. Aggravated, I went in and blew my $500 winnings on the $20s. Gone in a flash!

I have however gone to a liquor store where they marked the lottery vending machine bins which held a winning jackpot ticket. One of them was for a $1M winner ($20). I look at lottery vending machines differently now. You never know whats on those bins, it could be a $1M ticket sitting inside. Just waiting to be claimed.

So if you have $20 to spare, go ahead and take the chance! But, don't overdo it.