Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$20 scratch off! (I dont think I have the balls to buy one)

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 3 years ago by helpmewin.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: October 28, 2013, 9:18 am - IP Logged

Any of you guys/gals play the $20 scratchers?

What say you?

I'm strictly a Jackpot player and truth be known, we're a fairly elitist cadre of players.

I'm not saying that it's our policy, per se, to look down upon those who Scratch tickets and leave that crud all over the place...

But yes, we're pretty dam* snooty.

schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
    Jacksonville, Florida
    United States
    Member #140364
    March 17, 2013
    195 Posts
    Posted: October 28, 2013, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

Well, I bought one.

And????? 

Lurking

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: October 28, 2013, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

What say you?

Heck yeah...I'd rather play those than the $1 scratchers...hey if your gonna play...play to win...and the high prizes along with the odds are usually the best around...We've got one now here in N.C. that you can win 3 million dollars as the top prize...there are 3 left to be won on that one and I think 6 1 million as the 2nd tier prize

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #80614
        October 1, 2009
        16 Posts
        Posted: October 28, 2013, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

I once found a two $20 "losers" someone discarded in the parking lot at work. One turned out to be a $25 winner. I sometimes buy $10 scratchers if I win enough from my other tickets.

I will quit playing the lottery, as soon as I break even.

CHERRY HILL, NJ
          United States
          Member #130213
          July 9, 2012
          387 Posts
          Posted: October 29, 2013, 8:56 am - IP Logged

What say you?

The $20 scratchers are not going away, in fact, some states are upping the ante with $50 and $100 scratchers. Their prize sets are so attractive and their high price lends a false sense of exclusivity to their players. 

Heres some tips I have gathered from loitering in this community which some may find useful:

1. A lot of players believe its best to play them when they are fairly new. It seems the states, lets out more winners at the start of the game, perhaps to generate hype and interest on the game.

2. Retailers order their tickets in bulk and the mix between winners and losers are biased towards the states making money. But, I believe they still make good faith effort to make sure there is a couple of winners (lesser prizes) in the set they deliver. That said, its wise to check with the clerks if they've had recent winners. If there are, then I just feel the chance of getting one of those lesser prizes goes down.

United States
            Member #142625
            May 16, 2013
            34 Posts
            Posted: October 29, 2013, 10:12 am - IP Logged

And????? 

Lurking

I'll never purchase another one.
            I was nervous the whole time while buying it . then I was walking out of the store and noticed that the $1,000,000 top prize is paid out in 30 annual payments. it says it in small print so you can't see it before you buy it.... so now I'm pissed off. after taxes that's like $8 a year. so I scratched it and won my 20 bucks back.

I'm done with those.... unimpressed to say the least

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
              Member #4121
              March 23, 2004
              817 Posts
              Posted: October 29, 2013, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

I buy them but not much luck.

cbr$'s avatar - maren
                Cordova,Al.
                United States
                Member #104482
                January 15, 2011
                4873 Posts
                Posted: October 29, 2013, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

The $20 scratchers are not going away, in fact, some states are upping the ante with $50 and $100 scratchers. Their prize sets are so attractive and their high price lends a false sense of exclusivity to their players. 

Heres some tips I have gathered from loitering in this community which some may find useful:

1. A lot of players believe its best to play them when they are fairly new. It seems the states, lets out more winners at the start of the game, perhaps to generate hype and interest on the game.

2. Retailers order their tickets in bulk and the mix between winners and losers are biased towards the states making money. But, I believe they still make good faith effort to make sure there is a couple of winners (lesser prizes) in the set they deliver. That said, its wise to check with the clerks if they've had recent winners. If there are, then I just feel the chance of getting one of those lesser prizes goes down.

yes, I do have the guts to play a twenty dollar scatch- off . It is a brand New game & pay- off all at one time. If I like the game enough I will wait to be the first in line. To buy the entire packet of [50]. I'll let them broken them open and scan them and purchase the whole stack. If you get to know your retailer real good They will order you a packet when they place their order with the Lottery. When a ticket moves that fast in a small area believe me you will meet some of the Lottery people. Go pick up your when it slow in the store. You may have deal with a sell person on the floor the first time buy it this way regularly you deal with the manger after that. If they spot you standing in line on a day you're pick up your ticket , they usually motion to a closed window. Open it up just to service you and close it right back up.   Enjoy  Party

schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
                  Jacksonville, Florida
                  United States
                  Member #140364
                  March 17, 2013
                  195 Posts
                  Posted: October 29, 2013, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

I'll never purchase another one.
                  I was nervous the whole time while buying it . then I was walking out of the store and noticed that the $1,000,000 top prize is paid out in 30 annual payments. it says it in small print so you can't see it before you buy it.... so now I'm pissed off. after taxes that's like $8 a year. so I scratched it and won my 20 bucks back.

I'm done with those.... unimpressed to say the least

Maybe next payday I might get the balls and play a $20 scratcher. I'll be nervous too, lol. I've looked at what we have here in Florida, the odds, and whats left for top prizes and I think I'm ready for it. After that I will leave it to the big boys here, lol.  Funny though I have seen several older people, turn in tickets, buy more tickets, and still walk away with money, before they even scratch the tickets

Illinois
                    United States
                    Member #81391
                    October 17, 2009
                    24 Posts
                    Posted: November 2, 2013, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

all i buy is $10-$30 scratchers ($30 is the highest in Illinois).  i just dont have any luck on anything smaller.  i do play the $5 Good Life tickets occasionally but again, no luck.

i keep records of all my tickets and without going into too much detail, here are my winning percentages of the different denominations this year to date;

$30 tickets   96%

$20 tickets   85%

$10 tickets   59%

$5  tickets    48%

United States
                      Member #124493
                      March 14, 2012
                      7023 Posts
                      Posted: November 2, 2013, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

What say you?

I would give you my opinion.  I dont play the 20 dollar scratchers, (due to lack of balls)  so offically, unfortunately I dont have the balls to have an opinon.

LottoGuyBC's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                        British Columbia
                        Canada
                        Member #116101
                        September 4, 2011
                        4033 Posts
                        Posted: November 3, 2013, 5:58 am - IP Logged

What say you?

I'd rather play 10*$2 Hiding Behind Computer

If I had money to burn, then yeah

load them up on the $20s Smash

"You have to be in it to win it!"

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                          NY State
                          United States
                          Member #92609
                          June 10, 2010
                          3693 Posts
                          Posted: November 3, 2013, 6:25 am - IP Logged

Some day, (soon actually) I'll be on Social Security.  When I get my first check, I'm gonna celebrate by buying five 20  dollar scratch-off's.  Than I aint ever gonna do it again!

And one more thing.  I aint tellin' my wife I did it!!

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                            u$a
                            United States
                            Member #106665
                            February 22, 2011
                            19752 Posts
                            Posted: November 3, 2013, 6:48 am - IP Logged

What say you?

i did buy a $20.00 scratch off ticket last year and won $100.00 Hurray!

Let it Snow Snowman

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                              u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106665
                              February 22, 2011
                              19752 Posts
                              Posted: November 3, 2013, 6:51 am - IP Logged

Some day, (soon actually) I'll be on Social Security.  When I get my first check, I'm gonna celebrate by buying five 20  dollar scratch-off's.  Than I aint ever gonna do it again!

And one more thing.  I aint tellin' my wife I did it!!

Good Luck i hope you Win something BIG Lep

Let it Snow Snowman