Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you were part of a lottery Pool that won..

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 3 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
Massachusetts
United States
Member #37433
April 14, 2006
2747 Posts
Posted: December 3, 2013, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

If you don't contribute toward the price of the tickets, how can you consider yourself part of the pool?

I Agree! If you did not make prior arrangements to have someone throw in a few dollars for you then sorry, you are not in it. The problem is such people would find a desperate lawyer to sue for what they are "entitled to."

That money's gone fo ever

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: December 3, 2013, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

I do agree. Are you still a part of a team, even if you do not show up for one game and your team wins? Just because you weren't there to chip in for a couple rebounds, a three pointer, or an alley-oop, doesn't mean that you don't still get to be part of the win. If your team wins, you win. Your record doesn't include one less win than the rest of the team. If there is a consistent pattern of you not contributing by not participating, you should be kicked off the team and out of the pool. However, missing one week doesn't eliminate you from the pool, in my honest and humble opinion. I would share with a loyal pool contributor if they happen to miss a week and we won the jackpot.

Great point Nick even benchwarmers get a ring when their team wins the superbowl...LOL but this is money and if you dont have a contigency in play it could get hairy

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4102 Posts
      Posted: December 3, 2013, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

Lots of different opinion answers one might add. But JonD makes a good point- did you contribute to the winning ticket or not?
      Let's for argument sake say that you have friends over for dinner on a regular basis,  if they visited you without being invited, do they expect you to tell them to stay for dinner? - do they assume that since they were always invited to stay for dinner that it goes without saying that their showing up means they going to be asking you to pass the mash & gravy?
      That's food- we discussing Money, do the same rules apply?

United States
        Member #124493
        March 14, 2012
        7023 Posts
        Posted: December 3, 2013, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

D.) Jump off a bridge

Jester Laugh

Thats very funny saylorgirl.

You just gave Noisy, inspiration for a new asinine thread.

If you were to miss a PB jackpot because you sat out a draw, and your numbers happened to be drawn, and you decided to jump off a bridge, what height would that bridge be?

a) 30 feet

b) 100 feet

c) 300 feet

d) 50 feet and an overpass to some railroad tracks, so if the fall didn't kill me, the oncoming train would hopefully finish the job.

MsNumberDreamer's avatar - lottery balls-cash.jpg
          North Carolina
          United States
          Member #145690
          August 11, 2013
          258 Posts
          Posted: December 3, 2013, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

I think it is ridiculous to expect any money when you did not contribute your end.  That would be rule number one in any pool I ever be apart of.  Just gotta suck it up and try to move on. The lottery authority surely isn't going to consider someone a winner just BC they play the same numbers every week but the numbers come out the one time they decide not to play.  Same rules apply.

To God be the glory... 

When you're winning you're being blessed by Him!

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
            Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103813
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: December 3, 2013, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

Lots of different opinion answers one might add. But JonD makes a good point- did you contribute to the winning ticket or not?
            Let's for argument sake say that you have friends over for dinner on a regular basis,  if they visited you without being invited, do they expect you to tell them to stay for dinner? - do they assume that since they were always invited to stay for dinner that it goes without saying that their showing up means they going to be asking you to pass the mash & gravy?
            That's food- we discussing Money, do the same rules apply?

I think that's the main point: did you contribute or not.

Did you purchase a "lot" or a "share" to take a stake in the wager, or not. It wouldn't be the lottery without the lots.

As RJOH explained, you have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise it's one ginormous slippery slope.

"Oh, I played last week, so could you just assume I was in?"

"Oh, I'm your favorite cousin, and we always share, can't you gimme some?"

"Oh, I'm your mailman's best friend's former roommate with a 2nd mortgage, can't you help me out?"

The dinner thing I don't get. If I didn't invite you to dinner...go home.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10344 Posts
              Posted: December 3, 2013, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

No tickee no laundry, as they say.

Here's the flaw, and I'm sure quite a few people here have seen this - people form a pool and on a particular drawing someone in the pool doesn't cough up the agreed upon ante.

If the pool doesn't win anything that person usually still doesn't cough uo their share - but if the pool was to win something, that very person will say, "cut me in on the wining s, I should get a share, you know I would have went in if you asked me" - or, "Why didn't you cut me in, you know I'm good for it."

Oh but it gets even better yet.......if the people in the pool decide to include that player anyway, that player blows their winning sand comes back asking for some of the winnings of those who didn't blow theirs.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Sacramento, CA
                United States
                Member #142454
                May 12, 2013
                66 Posts
                Posted: December 3, 2013, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

Are there winnings from a prior draw that I did pay inro rolled into the pot? Because I've been in pools that played that way and yes, I would point out that X many tickets were bought with that money from the last draw. Otherwise, I don't have a right to it, end of story.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4102 Posts
                  Posted: December 3, 2013, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

Jester Laugh

Thats very funny saylorgirl.

You just gave Noisy, inspiration for a new asinine thread.

If you were to miss a PB jackpot because you sat out a draw, and your numbers happened to be drawn, and you decided to jump off a bridge, what height would that bridge be?

a) 30 feet

b) 100 feet

c) 300 feet

d) 50 feet and an overpass to some railroad tracks, so if the fall didn't kill me, the oncoming train would hopefully finish the job.

Hey Lotto- you seem to have an issue with most everything l do here don't you boyo? Whats the problem, reaction to a mix up of medications or what? Attacking people simple because you think its cool is infantile; which suggests a lack of maturity.Which is it?

Heard the expression " Empty Vessels make the most NOISE?- if not, well you have now.

Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4102 Posts
                    Posted: December 3, 2013, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

Did you purchase a "lot" or a "share" to take a stake in the wager, or not. It wouldn't be the lottery without the lots.

As RJOH explained, you have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise it's one ginormous slippery slope.

"Oh, I'm your mailman's best friend's former roommate with a 2nd mortgage, can't you help me out?"

JonD- " The dinner thing l don't get"

* Like the friend who assumes that his always going to be invited to Dinner even when uninvited- the partner in the pool feels that even though he does not have the money at that particular time or on other occasions to join the pool- his covered nonetheless.

Assumptions....

United States
                      Member #124493
                      March 14, 2012
                      7023 Posts
                      Posted: December 3, 2013, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

Hey Lotto- you seem to have an issue with most everything l do here don't you boyo? Whats the problem, reaction to a mix up of medications or what? Attacking people simple because you think its cool is infantile; which suggests a lack of maturity.Which is it?

Heard the expression " Empty Vessels make the most NOISE?- if not, well you have now.

Are you saying you want to change your name from

Noise-Gate to Empty-Vessel?

Or maybe to Assumptive-DinnerGuest?

Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4102 Posts
                        Posted: December 3, 2013, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

Are you saying you want to change your name from

Noise-Gate to Empty-Vessel?

Or maybe to Assumptive-DinnerGuest?

How old are you- have you completed your homework, cleaned your room- done your laundry?

Baton Rouge, LA
                          United States
                          Member #4602
                          May 7, 2004
                          699 Posts
                          Posted: December 3, 2013, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

I run a little group lottery at work. And I made it clear, you have to pay to be in it,, unless other arrangements have been made. A couple of years ago, a regular player with me got sick, I covered his bets while hospitalized. And  as soon as he was released, he paid me bak. In fact, as of this posting, he's the only one in tonights Mega Million with me.  HE CAME UP WITH HIS BUCK!!! US Flag

I also run a pool with 11 regular members. Since they are all members, they all contribute. I've had a few situations like you mentioned with people being out and so on. I've covered them and they've always paid me back. It's been pretty much the same group for several years so far so it's all good.

I did have a couple of members leave the pool after they retired. One gave me enough to stay in until the end of the year she retired and decided to drop out after that, while another retired and did the same. However, these two were members for several months after because we kept winning lower tier prizes.

The way my pool works is $4/payday(every 2 weeks) covers a mix of MegaMillions, Powerball, and Lotto tickets. I roll the winnings back into the pool for additional tickets and because I kept doing this, these two individuals were still part of the pool because the way I looked at it, since money they contributed resulted in winnings, some of those winnings were theirs' so they still had a share in the pool. Not as much as those still contributing every payday, but a share nonetheless. I finally got them out of the pool when he had a round that didn't win anything. It had gotten to the point where their shares were so small anyway, it would have taken a huge jackpot for them to be eligible for anything, but it was still a concern. Glad I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4102 Posts
                            Posted: December 3, 2013, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

When you say you " finally got them out of the pool" do you mean you politely told them to hold onto their money or they were no longer welcome back in.. Prisonersix?

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3471 Posts
                              Posted: December 4, 2013, 2:46 am - IP Logged

Whether you contributed or not may be the sole issue if you chose not to and you're honest, but in the real world where there's a million dollars or more up for grabs it's the contract that matters. Even if there's not an agreed upon verbal contract there's an implied contract once you start the pool and offer people a chance to participate. If there is an agreed upon verbal contract, it's very existence strongly suggest the people involved aren't smart enough to have covered all the important details. If they had, there would be a written contract. Even with a written contract, somebody who usually participates can always make an argument that they made a good faith effort to contribute but were prevented through no fault of their own, and that the other members have therefore breached the contract.

The place to draw the line is well ahead of the deadline for buying tickets. The only way to (virtually) guarantee that somebody who has been a regular member can't win a lawsuit is to spell out the procedure for eliminating somebody, and having enough time to clearly establish that they were eliminated before th etickets are purchased.