Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do we really want all states to be able to claim anonymously

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #149820
December 9, 2013
644 Posts
Posted: January 1, 2014, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

I know we have some but to me it seems that there are too much room for fraud if we dont get to know who actually won a jackpot prize. I mean I hate the fact that there are beggars out there that bother people, but for me I need to know that some real person has actually won and not some fat cat lottery official or something. Me personally I wouldnt care who freaking knew i won, cause i tell people who ask me for money now to go to he-- so I definately wouldnt have a problem telling that to someone after i won LOL. That's just me though. Happy New Year everybody

United States
    Member #124493
    March 14, 2012
    7023 Posts
    Posted: January 1, 2014, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

I know we have some but to me it seems that there are too much room for fraud if we dont get to know who actually won a jackpot prize. I mean I hate the fact that there are beggars out there that bother people, but for me I need to know that some real person has actually won and not some fat cat lottery official or something. Me personally I wouldnt care who freaking knew i won, cause i tell people who ask me for money now to go to he-- so I definately wouldnt have a problem telling that to someone after i won LOL. That's just me though. Happy New Year everybody

I think it would be a good idea.

I think originally the ideas was that people need to believe that the lottery "could" be won.

So, they need to see the face.

"Look!  Jon D Rocafella won the lottery!! You can too!!"

I dont think at this point the lottery needs any advertising.

Very large Jackpots might need advertising.

So when they have a 500 million dollar jackpot, they can post a picture of "golden gloria" saying

"Hey geriatrichs!!! You can win too!!! Send us a large portion of your social security check!!  Dont forget to play!!!"

I think the winners info would still be public.  Its not like they are concealing themselves.

Its just when I win I dont want my face plastered on the bloodsucking soulless "Daily News", within 48 hours.

i tell people who ask me for money now to go to he--

You know the other day somebody asked me for money.  You know what I did?

I looked at his shoes, I gritted my teeth and I said, "Hey what the least expensive soda you sell here?"

I dont think I got a thank you but I did fork over my hard earned lottery winnings and said "Merry Christmas."

I guess I am just a sucker for this time of the season.

boston,ma
      United States
      Member #150102
      December 15, 2013
      112 Posts
      Posted: January 1, 2014, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

SmileI concur.

United States
        Member #149820
        December 9, 2013
        644 Posts
        Posted: January 1, 2014, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

I see what you're saying but i guess Im just a little apprehensive when it comes to not showing an actual winner. I know people dont want to be bothered but is it really a bother when you got millions in the bank and it is up to you and only you who you decide to give it to? To me it wouldnt be. I'd love to be in that position

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10345 Posts
          Posted: January 1, 2014, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

We need to copy Australia. Their playslips have a "NP' box to check off........No Publicity.

The U.S. states that do allow winners to be anonymous don't seem to be having problems with it, so why not other states?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
            Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #149492
            December 2, 2013
            919 Posts
            Posted: January 1, 2014, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes it's more than just the people that ask for money, it's the criminal element I'd like to avoid.  People that file frivolous lawsuits, hoping that you'll settle, people that target you and your family whether it's to rob you or worse, etc.  I remember reading an article where the author recommended kidnap/ransom insurance to big lottery winners.  Before I read that article, it didn't occur to me that it would be a possibility.

I would like the option to keep anonymous, but in my state, that's not an option.  Claiming via a Trust/LLC is not an option either anymore.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #150273
              December 18, 2013
              495 Posts
              Posted: January 1, 2014, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

For me it's not soo much about being bothered, it's the dangerous people out there who may make me or my family a target. I do understand the other side and keeping the lottery honest, but i just don't think it outweights the safety of winners and their family.

In all truth, if the lottery is gonna be dishonest about winners kept private, then there is no reason then to expect them to be honest about the people they name as winners either. I don't know these people and highly doubt anyone else does either except their family and friends. I don't think they are dishonest now, nor do i think they would be if players were kept private. They are soo heavily regulated and suspect of abuse by the public because of being the lottery. Not saying it's impossible and stuff does happen, but i do believe it's very rare and isolated when it does happen.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: January 1, 2014, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

"... i tell people who ask me for money now to go to he-- ..."

And hospitality do not forget; for by this some, being not aware of it, have entertained Angels.

-Hebrews 13: 2

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #92330
                  June 5, 2010
                  887 Posts
                  Posted: January 1, 2014, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

Just wait one year from the date the money was transferred to the winner before their name is released.

That would allow the winner(s) to get their stuff in order and prepare themselves for becoming known publicly as lottery winners.

As someone who wants to claim via trust, i would be on board with that move.

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10345 Posts
                    Posted: January 2, 2014, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

mrcraft,

I remember one story about Al Qaeda putting the bite on a jackpot winner. Nobody needs that.

ttech10,

I'm not sure sure that a one year 'flash to bang' time' would really help all that much. In fact, it might cause a lot more resentment when the winner's name is made public.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                      Member #142499
                      May 13, 2013
                      1182 Posts
                      Posted: January 2, 2014, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

For me it's not soo much about being bothered, it's the dangerous people out there who may make me or my family a target. I do understand the other side and keeping the lottery honest, but i just don't think it outweights the safety of winners and their family.

In all truth, if the lottery is gonna be dishonest about winners kept private, then there is no reason then to expect them to be honest about the people they name as winners either. I don't know these people and highly doubt anyone else does either except their family and friends. I don't think they are dishonest now, nor do i think they would be if players were kept private. They are soo heavily regulated and suspect of abuse by the public because of being the lottery. Not saying it's impossible and stuff does happen, but i do believe it's very rare and isolated when it does happen.

THANK GOD!! Someone who gets it. Why do people feel anonymity is simply to stop people from bugging them. It's about a person's safety. The safety of their family. Why should anyone's paranoia outweigh that. As if presenting someone in front of a camera is really a fraud deterrant.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4785 Posts
                        Posted: January 2, 2014, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

And hospitality do not forget; for by this some, being not aware of it, have entertained Angels.

Absolutely Ridge! I can't imagine the bad karma accumulating for telling a homeless person to "go to He--."  Really unnecessary. If you don't want to give a dollar or two, just say "sorry, I don't have any change."

J'aime La France.

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10345 Posts
                          Posted: January 2, 2014, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

rgdrnr, Artist77,

The angels unaware passage is true, but there are charlantans out there that want you to think they are the angels you are unaware of and they prey upon Christians that way.

That's why He also gave us discernment.

Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling.

Lep

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
                            Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #35086
                            March 12, 2006
                            10374 Posts
                            Posted: January 2, 2014, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

We need to copy Australia. Their playslips have a "NP' box to check off........No Publicity.

The U.S. states that do allow winners to be anonymous don't seem to be having problems with it, so why not other states?

I Agree!             100  %

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
                              Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #35086
                              March 12, 2006
                              10374 Posts
                              Posted: January 2, 2014, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

You   may   be   Entertaining   Angels   Unaware

My   Mother's     favorite    Bible   verse

She  always  lived  it  in  her  life  too

Soft    Tender   Loving   Giving     (   Christ's    Heart )