Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do we really want all states to be able to claim anonymously

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: January 3, 2014, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

Wait a minute did I say something out of bounds?? Im not trying to cause trouble here. Did I violate some rule with what I had said?

Did I violate some rule with what I had said?

No, not technically.

It's just that you act exactly like one of the biggest jerks that ever darkened the doorstep of Lottery Post before he got thrown out.

Identical.

Coincidence, I guess.

United States
    Member #149820
    December 9, 2013
    644 Posts
    Posted: January 4, 2014, 8:09 am - IP Logged

Shelby what are your thoughts about the safety of winners and their loved ones? What other alternatives do you think might work to both satisfy the public's trust and at the same time respect the wishes and safety of JP winners?

That's a good question. I think everyone has the right to feel safe, but to answer you question, how do the winners of non-anonymous states do it now? Just get your ducks in a row before you come forth and claim, have a plan of how you are going to leave town before you claim maybe do like Dave Edwards did and have your lawyer arrange a loan so you can hot foot it out of town right after the press conference/claim process. Keep in mind that's all you should do like Dave if you do decide to do that, may he rest in peace finally. But I'd just have to say use common sense period. I just think they shouldnt be anonymous so we know it was an actual person and not some lottery commissioner or their family member

United States
      Member #149820
      December 9, 2013
      644 Posts
      Posted: January 4, 2014, 8:12 am - IP Logged

"Would you give money to a homeless crack head?"

Yes, because some of them would freeze to death without kerosene for their heaters in the abandoned shacks and trailers they live in.

And they need food to eat.

They're human beings too, for God's sakes.

And there, but for the grace of God, go all of us.

Have you met any drug addicts?? I have and I have seen them give up a $50 steak dinner and a warm place to stay for a $5 hit of crack. Ive seen them try to sell the shoes off their feet in the freezing snow for a hit. They trade their bodies in ways that would make a prostitute cringe for a hit. Yes they are people but it is more likely the money you hand them would go to their habit rather than to their well-being

United States
        Member #149820
        December 9, 2013
        644 Posts
        Posted: January 4, 2014, 8:17 am - IP Logged

No, not technically.

It's just that you act exactly like one of the biggest jerks that ever darkened the doorstep of Lottery Post before he got thrown out.

Identical.

Coincidence, I guess.

Im sorry didnt mean to offend anyone. I just know that the road to he-- is paved with good intentions. Everyone does not have the best intentions when they ask for money. I was just raised to not beg for something that I can go out and try to earn for myself. Not saying all homeless are lazy or anything like that, but like everything there is bad mixed up in the good, and that is why I prefer to give my money to vetted charities instead of just random people I dont know. Now that's just me Im not saying everyone be like me, you do you and I'll do me

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #150273
          December 18, 2013
          495 Posts
          Posted: January 4, 2014, 8:45 am - IP Logged

That's a good question. I think everyone has the right to feel safe, but to answer you question, how do the winners of non-anonymous states do it now? Just get your ducks in a row before you come forth and claim, have a plan of how you are going to leave town before you claim maybe do like Dave Edwards did and have your lawyer arrange a loan so you can hot foot it out of town right after the press conference/claim process. Keep in mind that's all you should do like Dave if you do decide to do that, may he rest in peace finally. But I'd just have to say use common sense period. I just think they shouldnt be anonymous so we know it was an actual person and not some lottery commissioner or their family member

"they shouldnt be anonymous so we know it was an actual person and not some lottery commissioner or their family member"

But how do you know that still isn't the case unless you know the winners announced? If folks pick up and leave town, change their name and number how do you know they were indeed legit winners by merely seeing a picture, location and name? 

Why can't a person opt to have a lawyer validate the winner. A lawyer would be representing that they are validating and representing a winner on the winners behalf. 

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
            Member #121745
            January 16, 2012
            4788 Posts
            Posted: January 4, 2014, 8:49 am - IP Logged

No, not technically.

Identical.

Coincidence, I guess.

Amen Ridge. Interesting that I am a "liar" if I use my discernment as to whom to give to and attempt to be civil when I say no but someone who tells them to ALL go to He--,  is in the right.

Good call also. We are not hearing any denials about "you act exactly like one of the biggest jerks that ever darkened the doorstep of Lottery Post before he got thrown out. Identical.  Coincidence, I guess."

He just does not know how to state an opinion without name calling.

J'aime La France.

Jonusl's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
              Galena,MO
              United States
              Member #129328
              June 15, 2012
              101 Posts
              Posted: January 4, 2014, 9:13 am - IP Logged

I was thinking about this topic yesterday,I think a compermise might work,each state has a bundle of lawyers,most in the congress and senate of each state lol,but have an independaunt lawyer meet with the winner(s) and see the ticket,verify who they are,that they dont work for are connected to the state lottery they live in,and then if they choose to step out and say who they are ok,if not ,then they have been verified,so both sides win,you get verfication,and the winner can stay in the dark,if they so choose.Just a thought.

The Dream Master says:Keep on dream'en,Dream'in of a win.........Because Dreams do come true Dance

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #150273
                December 18, 2013
                495 Posts
                Posted: January 4, 2014, 9:24 am - IP Logged

I was thinking about this topic yesterday,I think a compermise might work,each state has a bundle of lawyers,most in the congress and senate of each state lol,but have an independaunt lawyer meet with the winner(s) and see the ticket,verify who they are,that they dont work for are connected to the state lottery they live in,and then if they choose to step out and say who they are ok,if not ,then they have been verified,so both sides win,you get verfication,and the winner can stay in the dark,if they so choose.Just a thought.

It's a win win win situation for the lottery and the winner. A person should have the option no doubt. I think the winner's lawyer alongside a independent lawyer to verify everything would only boost the publics trust and fair well for the lottery. It would be far far better and way more credible then what they are doing now. Sorry but a picture,  name and town which can be quickly changed offers me no assurance if i don't know the person the lottery is claiming as a winner. A winner's personal lawyer plus a independent lawyer verifying a winner is all i need to know.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #94283
                  July 17, 2010
                  2284 Posts
                  Posted: January 4, 2014, 10:42 am - IP Logged

Having a face and name doesn't guarantee a legit winner!  Remember McDonalds?  They had one of their "winners" on their commercials singing a jingle he wrote himself.  Turns out someone with access to the game pieces was stealing the winning one before it even got out of the print shop IIRC.

Didn't the thief pay these people to claim it, but he got most of the money?  Seems like this went on for several years before he got caught.

United States
                    Member #149820
                    December 9, 2013
                    644 Posts
                    Posted: January 4, 2014, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

Amen Ridge. Interesting that I am a "liar" if I use my discernment as to whom to give to and attempt to be civil when I say no but someone who tells them to ALL go to He--,  is in the right.

Good call also. We are not hearing any denials about "you act exactly like one of the biggest jerks that ever darkened the doorstep of Lottery Post before he got thrown out. Identical.  Coincidence, I guess."

He just does not know how to state an opinion without name calling.

Wait a minute I did not call anyone a liar, and I did not call you any name, what are you talking about?? I said that I don't lie and say I dont have change when I do, I tell them to go to he--, cause some of these people you cant be nice to, if they think you're weak they might try to knock you on the head and take your money, so that is why Im more curt and forceful in saying go to he--. why are you all jumping on me and making an issue of this??

United States
                      Member #149820
                      December 9, 2013
                      644 Posts
                      Posted: January 4, 2014, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

"they shouldnt be anonymous so we know it was an actual person and not some lottery commissioner or their family member"

But how do you know that still isn't the case unless you know the winners announced? If folks pick up and leave town, change their name and number how do you know they were indeed legit winners by merely seeing a picture, location and name? 

Why can't a person opt to have a lawyer validate the winner. A lawyer would be representing that they are validating and representing a winner on the winners behalf. 

How do we know that still isnt the case?? Well because they're in the news constantly for a couple of weeks or months depending on what they do and how much they won that's how. I get it is also a safety issue but there are dozens of lottery winners who have had nothing dangerous to them or their family happen. It's really complicated, but i think they should not be able to claim anonymously, there are dozens upon dozens of ways to disappear and when you got millions it becomes even easier

United States
                        Member #149820
                        December 9, 2013
                        644 Posts
                        Posted: January 4, 2014, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

Having a face and name doesn't guarantee a legit winner!  Remember McDonalds?  They had one of their "winners" on their commercials singing a jingle he wrote himself.  Turns out someone with access to the game pieces was stealing the winning one before it even got out of the print shop IIRC.

Didn't the thief pay these people to claim it, but he got most of the money?  Seems like this went on for several years before he got caught.

LOL dont remember that one, but how many times has that happened with lottery winners. I dont even know how you could get away with that as a lottery winner or fake winner rather

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10350 Posts
                          Posted: January 4, 2014, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

Jonusl,

Let's take your idea a little further....

I'm going to bring this up one more time, in a little more detail.

Have a Jackpot Winners Protection Program, modeled after the Witness Protection Program.

When someone wins a jackpot, a representative or representatives from the program take over right then and there. They do the press conference, handle all attempted corresspondence, etc....

Their fee is taken out of the jackpot and it is the winners option to go for the program or not. Since there will be winners who will not go for it they'll take the focus off of previous winners in the program and let them soak in all the publicity (but some will wish they had went for it!)

Not really too different than the accounting and auditing firms that verify the drawings.

Reading this thread really gives me the willies thinking that when people have the luckiest day of their lives all of their privacy is expected to go right out the window just because some extremely nosey people assume they have the right to demand to know who they are.

Your mileage may vary.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.