Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Just a curiosity.. would you tell your family if you won the lottery?

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 3 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
LottoMomma's avatar - strawberry
Michigan
United States
Member #100025
November 4, 2010
158 Posts
Posted: April 1, 2014, 2:57 am - IP Logged

Off the wall question I know.. but will be interesting to see the responses..

LottoMomma

See Ya!

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
    Massachusetts
    United States
    Member #37433
    April 14, 2006
    2747 Posts
    Posted: April 1, 2014, 4:13 am - IP Logged

LottoMomma

See Ya!

If I lived in Delaware where complete anonymity is possible then I would keep it to myself. No need in having people treat me differently. It would be tough to keep it from my family for too long so eventually I'd have to fess up.  Would the family keep their mouths shut? Who knows Thumbs Up

That money's gone fo ever

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
      Texas Panhandle
      United States
      Member #136843
      December 20, 2012
      1280 Posts
      Posted: April 1, 2014, 5:53 am - IP Logged

LottoMomma

See Ya!

Immediate family or distant relatives?  Strange question if it's the former...but then again, I don't know the dynamics of your personal famiily situation, so....

I live in Texas, so there's no anonymous claiming.  The place where the winning ticket was sold is posted on the website.  Don't you think a newspaper, be it in my small town or even Dallas or Houston would (easily) find out who won the JP if it was in that town/city and publish the information, same for the TV news?  They'd want an interview and even if you refused, they'll go ahead and write the article/do a segment on the 6:00 o'clock news.  It would just take one relative (or even someone who knew you and your family) to read/see the news and then tell others in your family.   Besides that, there are *some* of my family I wouldn't mind knowing that I won (because I would want to help them how I could) and thanks to caller ID and locks on doors, I don't have to talk to any of the rest of them.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
       - George Orwell

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        40513 Posts
        Posted: April 1, 2014, 8:11 am - IP Logged

I would tell my Mom and brothers and sisters, and I would help them out anyway I could.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

LAKE HAVASU AZ
          United States
          Member #44729
          August 8, 2006
          446 Posts
          Posted: April 1, 2014, 8:19 am - IP Logged

3 years after i won

some day....some day

United States
            Member #149820
            December 9, 2013
            644 Posts
            Posted: April 1, 2014, 8:49 am - IP Logged

Since I'll be splitting it with them depending on the amount, yeah I guess I'd have to tell them LOL

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1183 Posts
              Posted: April 1, 2014, 10:41 am - IP Logged

LottoMomma

See Ya!

I'm assuming you mean if you win in a state that allows anonymity. In which case, no. While I plan to help my family, there are some who would have high expectations should they know how much I had and definitely if they knew it came from a lottery win. They are nice people but I know how demanding they can be and best to avoid a potential hassle wherever possible. 

The one good thing about my family is that they don't discuss how much they have. You can make a guesstimate based on their careers, and if they're doing well based on their houses and cars, but since they all invest in various projects, their actual net worth is a mystery, so it'd be easy enough not to have to say where my money came from or how much I have.

If I can help it, no one but my financial advisor would ever know.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19829 Posts
                Posted: April 1, 2014, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

Since they all live in other states, there would be no point in telling them unless I was planning to share it with them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                  Member #145267
                  August 1, 2013
                  1530 Posts
                  Posted: April 1, 2014, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

Yes I would.

Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                    Florida
                    United States
                    Member #77815
                    August 1, 2009
                    3460 Posts
                    Posted: April 1, 2014, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

I will only tell my family I live with. None of my sisters or brothers will ever know.

Guess Who's Back?

United States
                      Member #128373
                      May 22, 2012
                      201 Posts
                      Posted: April 1, 2014, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

I definitely would since I'd split it evenly with them.  But only I would need to win because I get full control on who gets what, which would be an even split.  If any of my other family members won, there may not be an even split and I'm afraid I'd get the short end of the stick.

The lottery is NOT a tax on the poor.  By calling it a tax, you are calling it mandatory, which is what taxes are.  But the lottery is NOT mandatory, therefore calling it a tax highly inaccurate.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                        Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4108 Posts
                        Posted: April 1, 2014, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

I would not hide it from my family- money does not make us.
                        This is a true story- l do not have the as time to research it but trust me on the following.
                        A wife of 20 odd years decided that she would separate from her husband after winning the jackpot .The poor guy had no idea of her good fortune, but he eventually got wind of it and  he ended up.taking her to court, the judge called her a " wicked woman" and if l.am correct- awarded him the entire amount. California is a community of property State & does not screw around with that BS- she learned the hard way.
                        Money should not separate people- especially family.

Baton Rouge, LA
                          United States
                          Member #4602
                          May 7, 2004
                          699 Posts
                          Posted: April 1, 2014, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

I'd try to keep it quiet. If it were a huge jackpot, I'd claim it using a trust and not tell anyone. In fact, if I were able to quit my job, I'd probably wait a good 6 months or so before doing that, until after the excitement died down.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                            Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4108 Posts
                            Posted: April 2, 2014, 12:17 am - IP Logged

The winner of the $425 Million PB jackpot in California came forward today...

Congrats and all the Best Mr Burton..

Party

LottoMomma's avatar - strawberry
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #100025
                              November 4, 2010
                              158 Posts
                              Posted: April 2, 2014, 1:03 am - IP Logged

hI,  Fellow Lottery Posters.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. It was a curiosity and mainly meant for immediate family.  And in a state where you could remain anonymous of course, I should have mentioned since in a state other that, there would be no secret would there! LOL   I mean how many distant relatives would expect to make claim do you think? But then again every family is different I know. Some closer than others and like one poster said.. some would expect something and/or maybe more than they should be entitled too.

I guess to alot would depend on how much you won, how big your immediate family andor how close your family is and would the funds alone get  consumed with them and nothing left for you? Lets face it sometimes when money is involved people you never knew can come out of the woodwork! LOL 

I have known several people who have won the lottery and I saw with each how things went. One family it ruined the kids, they wanted for nothing, become spoiled brats and the money was just p----ed away on junk, waste and trivets.  They had no idea  the meaning of a dollar and how hard you have to work to make one.

Another didn't tell anyone other than their spouse but anonymously helped out Mom and Dad and sister and brother as they saw fit without them becoming the wiser.. small loans not overdone to give any indication they had "come in to money". 

Another has won our state lottery 3x and kept it soley between themselves. 

Another quit work to concentrate on winning again and enjoying the good life while another bought a business to keep themselves busy and then made investments.

I have visions of winning so I could be some kind of philanthropist. I want to help the ASPCA, Wounded Warriors,  Save the children, the humane society.  Those commercials with the kittens in the cast and  the sad puppies just  KILL ME!  Just to  have that ability would be rewarding and empowering! I do so now as I can but on such a small scale as compared to what I would love to be able to do.  You have to give in order receive I believe.. pay it forward. 

We had a cool thing happen in our town one day.. going through the drive thru at mcdonalds..the car ahead started paying for the car behinds order.. it was a pretty neat thing and went on for the whole day I heard.. and it was started by one of our local policemen.  He just had an idea.  (I live in a small town)

So, sometimes I just brainstorm on some things.. what if?  No matter how dumb it sounds.  and I have seen before where some read my post and never respond and I know they probably think.. "now she is a dumb bunny" and I have even been called a drama queen.. which was flattering since I have never caled a queen before! LOL

But, it's okay,  not all of us have the wonderful mathematical minds that I read some guys have here on the post and sometimes they are so "out there" I think someone has to be on drugs to think of where they go... I mean how do they get there, I just wish I could! LOL 

So, we all enjoy the post in diff ways and some not in the way it is intended.  I see some posters spar back and forth for some reason and others just bash to bash, which makes interesting reading for sure! I come to learn, enjoy, laugh, some of you make me bust a gut with some of the stuff you post. 

It is a family I enjoy belonging to and I enjoy the way so many are so willing to share unselfishly anything they can to contribute. l I have learned so much from so many.  And I love to come each day to see what'sup!  But, I especially thank Todd for creating the post.. as I think it is a wonderful thing!

So, thanks to all that posted and for accepting my silly posts at times!

LM

See Ya!