Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Just a curiosity.. would you tell your family if you won the lottery?

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 3 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Greg2117's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
New York
United States
Member #145706
August 12, 2013
108 Posts
Posted: April 11, 2014, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

F@#K NO ! . My relatives have some of the biggest mouths and they like to blab about any little secret. Especially the women in my family. Learned my lesson over the years.

spartan1707's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
    Tucson
    United States
    Member #119762
    December 2, 2011
    81 Posts
    Posted: April 11, 2014, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

No...Family and money equal Headaches period!

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
      TX
      United States
      Member #121193
      January 4, 2012
      1637 Posts
      Posted: April 12, 2014, 8:49 am - IP Logged

I understand your sentiment, but not all of us are blessed to have a good, loving family.  I have one sister I'd crawl on broken glass for the 300 miles to her if she needed my help.  The other?  Well, if she caught on fire, she'd better hope I had just finished off a Big Gulp.  I have online friends I'd help out - if they needed it - before I would *some* of the rest of my family.  I have a great-niece I'd love to be able to put through school, buy her a car, etc.  My ex-wife is going through some hard times right now and I would help her, too, same for an old h.s. friend who just had a stroke.

Big gulp....lol.....I have one of those myself...Tell to family ? probably 1 member that I know can keep quiet,...As far as financially helping goes..definitely help a handful..Kids of course.......................................................
      The EX ? have to think on that one.......................................................thought long enough..............denied

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
        Texas Panhandle
        United States
        Member #136843
        December 20, 2012
        1270 Posts
        Posted: April 13, 2014, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

Big gulp....lol.....I have one of those myself...Tell to family ? probably 1 member that I know can keep quiet,...As far as financially helping goes..definitely help a handful..Kids of course.......................................................
        The EX ? have to think on that one.......................................................thought long enough..............denied

My ex and I are on good terms and have kept up w/ ea. other since the divorce - which was fairly amicable, all things considered.   The only sore point was splitting up some of the property and that was settled after a while when I pointed out to her certain financial realities. (such as why sell the house when we didn't have much equity in it)  The only thing I really got cheated on was she got the Kirby and I got the cats.  I really needed that vacumn cleaner.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #149492
          December 2, 2013
          919 Posts
          Posted: April 14, 2014, 12:45 am - IP Logged

My ex and I are on good terms and have kept up w/ ea. other since the divorce - which was fairly amicable, all things considered.   The only sore point was splitting up some of the property and that was settled after a while when I pointed out to her certain financial realities. (such as why sell the house when we didn't have much equity in it)  The only thing I really got cheated on was she got the Kirby and I got the cats.  I really needed that vacumn cleaner.

I learned something new today.  Kirby vacuums.  Never heard of them until your post and did some research.  I currently have a Dyson, but next time I need a new vacuum cleaner, I'm definitely going to check out a Kirby.  Wink

Goteki54's avatar - Lottery-007.jpg
            Baltimore, MD
            United States
            Member #143332
            May 30, 2013
            398 Posts
            Posted: April 14, 2014, 11:22 am - IP Logged

I would tell my family that I came into some money and leave it at that. If you ever want to see a family turn on each other and act like something off of Jerry Springer, let them find out you won the lottery for several millon. The reading of the will when you die will turn into a battle royal among the family.

Following the trends and patterns means following the money!Banana

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
              Texas Panhandle
              United States
              Member #136843
              December 20, 2012
              1270 Posts
              Posted: April 14, 2014, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

I learned something new today.  Kirby vacuums.  Never heard of them until your post and did some research.  I currently have a Dyson, but next time I need a new vacuum cleaner, I'm definitely going to check out a Kirby.  Wink

She bought that used & reconditioned and I about fell over when she told me how much she had paid for it.  I don't remember the exact number, but it was a little north of a couple hundred bucks, but she reassured me that it was a good price and I later found out she was right.  My mom gave me her old one a few yrs. ago when she bought a brand new one, needs some work and I guess I should get it out and have it overhauled.    After my ex left w/ the Kirby, I used my Shop-Vac and after the first time I emptied it, I calculated that if I had had the intestines, I could have knitted a couple more cats.

Being a bachelor, I'm a little lax on housework, esp. using the vacuum. I use my scoop shovel when it gets to be difficult getting around.Wink

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
               - George Orwell

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                Mcminnville, Oregon
                United States
                Member #3013
                December 13, 2003
                3047 Posts
                Posted: April 15, 2014, 12:18 am - IP Logged

I would tell my mother and my sister and then I would help them with money as much as I could but I am not going broke to do it either.-weshar75

US Flag

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #82391
                  November 12, 2009
                  6290 Posts
                  Posted: April 15, 2014, 9:22 am - IP Logged

Just my immediate family.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                    USA
                    United States
                    Member #152799
                    February 25, 2014
                    1090 Posts
                    Posted: April 15, 2014, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

Just my mom and dad along with my husband. No use telling my toddler son or anyone else. Why take a chance ruining a good friendship with everyone else by disclosing you won a major jackpot as that will only bring resentment.

LottoMomma's avatar - strawberry
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #100025
                      November 4, 2010
                      158 Posts
                      Posted: April 15, 2014, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

Loved your post mikeintexas... you really understood my post and could relate as to "would you".  You made me laugh at the GULP!

Thanks for sharing.

LM

NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #90535
                        April 29, 2010
                        11978 Posts
                        Posted: April 16, 2014, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

No...Family and money equal Headaches period!

MORE MONEY MORE PROBLEMS.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!