Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you be happy winning a lottery jackpot of any amount?

Topic closed. 81 replies. Last post 3 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 2 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
USA
United States
Member #152799
February 25, 2014
1092 Posts
Posted: April 7, 2014, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

I have been playing longer than any annuity pays out so  I don't play for just any jackpot.

It has to be at a certain minimum level.

At this point I would feel chumped if I beat 260 million to one odds and got four and a half million after taxes.

> I would feel chumped if I beat 260 million to one odds and got four and a half million after taxes. <

I agree! Can you imagine winning the base MM jackpot following a record jackpot from the previous drawing? It would never be me as i never play after any major jackpot win but for someone who does wouldn't it be ironic? I am sure they would still be happy either way.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5603 Posts
    Posted: April 7, 2014, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

> I would feel chumped if I beat 260 million to one odds and got four and a half million after taxes. <

I agree! Can you imagine winning the base MM jackpot following a record jackpot from the previous drawing? It would never be me as i never play after any major jackpot win but for someone who does wouldn't it be ironic? I am sure they would still be happy either way.

I would be perfectly happy winning the reset MM jackpot. Instant retirement. No debt. No people bugging me for money because everybody would be focused on who hit the big one.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
      Mcminnville, Oregon
      United States
      Member #3013
      December 13, 2003
      3052 Posts
      Posted: April 8, 2014, 12:03 am - IP Logged

I would take any jackpot that comes my way.  I would be happy with whatever I won because I could be debt free and that would be awesome.-weshar75

US Flag

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
        Texas
        United States
        Member #86154
        January 30, 2010
        1649 Posts
        Posted: April 8, 2014, 10:02 am - IP Logged

How nice it is to be in the company of mostly reasonable people regarding a jackpot win. Then, I can see those that aren't familar with the taxes on such a win, and, obviously have financial issues that would exceed roughly $10M-$15 AFTER TAXES...as the minimum PB jackpot is $40. This is also if the player opts for the cash option where they instantly give up about half up front and the rest is taxed accordingly. Such a final amount is still on par with a regular state's lottery jackpot just like when the game started...and everyone was all giddy about trying to win that amount to be debt free and happy.

Now, we still have that percent that feel even this much just wouldn't cut it. $260M with a cash option included, and, the gift tax applied will leave FAR MORE THAN $4M just to set the record straight...AHEM. When you're hoping and trying to beat the odds of something that are nearly impossible, and you succeed somehow, you don't complain about what you end up with after because you've seen where it started. You still beat the astronomic odds and are now financially set. It's called being thankful and grateful because you're 100% better off than you were before that draw.

You know, such a way of negative thinking puts me in the mind of a beggar/homeless person that has no money and is actually hungry. So, I come along and offer them a couple or three bucks to do my part. In turn, they refuse it because they'd rather wait and see if they can get $5 bucks, or more, from someone else at some point. All the while, they're hungry and becoming even more hungry by the minute. Yet, they've turned down what will get them a large coke and at least two burgers at McDonalds via the $1 value menu.

Yep, and once again, critical thinking at it's absolute very best. Somebody's gotta do it...and SAY it. Thank you, thank you...you're so kind for the applause!!!PartyHurray!BananaCheersDanceHyperUS FlagYes NodDrum

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

sflottolover's avatar - spherewall2
          San Leandro, very near Oakland and San Francisco.
          United States
          Member #148590
          November 5, 2013
          98 Posts
          Posted: April 8, 2014, 11:31 am - IP Logged

Or does it have to be a particular amount for genuine " happiness" to kick in?
          BTW- what would that HA be?...... (HA- Happiness Amount)

*** Have a Great Week People.

" Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw. "

See Ya!I did find happiness whenever there is two or three plain numbers with a mega number hit. No matter how much i have gotten. I was happy mere only for the happines of my success on my prediction. My ways of  knitting a good dream to be a real appearance.

Do you feel happy too?

Thanks for your kindness to visit my posting; and left me your warmness for my slow chewing! 

Those who wants to win lottery is normal; and it is abnormal if anybody does not want to win!

http://www.writers-network.com/members/sfiawong

United States
            Member #106134
            February 13, 2011
            806 Posts
            Posted: April 8, 2014, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

Not really.  I'd need at least $50 mil after taxes to truly change my life.

Anything less than that life would just go on as is.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3300 Posts
              Posted: April 8, 2014, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

what ever the next draw is, ill happily take that jackpot

<div_prefs id="div_prefs">

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

NEW YORK
                United States
                Member #90535
                April 29, 2010
                11979 Posts
                Posted: April 8, 2014, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

Or does it have to be a particular amount for genuine " happiness" to kick in?
                BTW- what would that HA be?...... (HA- Happiness Amount)

*** Have a Great Week People.

" Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw. "

Yes, but Winning a $100 Million lottery jackpot is way better.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

NEW YORK
                  United States
                  Member #90535
                  April 29, 2010
                  11979 Posts
                  Posted: April 8, 2014, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

If we're talking the big multi-state games, then yes, I'd be happy with the minimum amounts.

The lottery chooses when the jackpot is going to be won. It is all set up.

US Flag

NEW YORK
                    United States
                    Member #90535
                    April 29, 2010
                    11979 Posts
                    Posted: April 8, 2014, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

Heck yeah!! 15 million or 115 million, hey its way more than ANY of us here could say we've made or actually got in the bank

Playing the lottery everyday does not increase your chances of winning a lottery jackpot or a second prize.

US Flag

NEW YORK
                      United States
                      Member #90535
                      April 29, 2010
                      11979 Posts
                      Posted: April 8, 2014, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Winning the Ohio Classic Lotto which is currently $66 million would satisfy all my needs as well! I am only playing the OCL for now but plan on playing MM and PB in the future if my remaining 8-draws for the Ohio Classic Lotto fail to fulfill my dreams and wishes.

Ohio classic lotto has been rolling for 2 years?

US Flag

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                        u$a
                        United States
                        Member #106665
                        February 22, 2011
                        19843 Posts
                        Posted: April 8, 2014, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

The lottery chooses when the jackpot is going to be won. It is all set up.

Are you kidding

Let it Snow Snowman

NEW YORK
                          United States
                          Member #90535
                          April 29, 2010
                          11979 Posts
                          Posted: April 8, 2014, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

Are you kidding

Have you won a life changing lottery jackpot? I have never won a lottery jackpot or met a lottery jackpot winner.

US Flag

timmer's avatar - animaniacs03

United States
                            Member #714
                            September 18, 2002
                            88 Posts
                            Posted: April 8, 2014, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

When all is said and done and the VULTURES at both tax offices (IRS and State) have their blood money, and I can walk away with 3,4 or 5 million, I'd be happy!

Winning large jakpots, over 10 mll, you start getting all the 'long lost relatives", people that say you went to school with them, family, charities, and every 'nut job that says their little toy of an invention will change the world  but they need an investor' along with others crawling out of woodwork.

NEW YORK
                              United States
                              Member #90535
                              April 29, 2010
                              11979 Posts
                              Posted: April 8, 2014, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

Si.

No.

US Flag