Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Weird Lottery experience...

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 3 years ago by kapla.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4144 Posts
Posted: May 24, 2014, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

So here l was coming home from visiting a friend last night, l drop in on this convenient store and fill out a PB payslip for 2 lines and hand it to the Vietnamese woman behind the counter. She slides it through the machine and says " $16.00"- and l am like " No, its $4.00 straight". She shows me the ticket and says " You pay $16.00- California say All Sales FINAL" l look at this woman and tell her that l distinctly marked 2 rows, what's the problem?

This woman starts raising her voice and tells me " You pay $16.00- you mark Advance Play, that why you now pay the money", l took the slip and looked over the " advance play section and there is zero marks in that section, so l tell her" l respectfully disagreed with her telling me that l must pay $16.00!" Next she says " You not pay, l call law enforcement, you mark ticket, you pay- l no want PB ticket"

l decided  to cough up the $16.00 and walked away from the joint.

Beware of those  " Advance Play" sections people, l learned the hard way!!

Looking back, l have to chuckle.

Have a Great Memorial day and rest of the week People..

United States
    Member #124493
    March 14, 2012
    7023 Posts
    Posted: May 24, 2014, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

You should have not paid for it.  You should have knocked over the cheesy poofs.

What I have found that often happens, is that if you put your playslip on the counter it can pick up scratcher latex residue from the previous scratchead who was making an awful mess.  Or that a previous player can do that and contaminate the screen.  Then to clean the screen they use a paper towel, or something they should'nt be using, and can then scratch the inside display glass as well.

You should have made her eat it. 

Thats a problem that MUSL tries to dump on the players by saying all sales final. What if it was $100 bucks, then what would you have done?

If you didn't fill in the box, you should have said I am sorry, your machine is filthy.

Make sure you take your playslip with you.  She might try and do an old switcheroo, and mark the advance play to show the cops.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #149492
      December 2, 2013
      919 Posts
      Posted: May 24, 2014, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

You should have let her call law enforcement and waited for them to show up.  I'd be pissed if a clerk told me that after looking at my playslip and advance play wasn't marked. Couldn't she have manually applied advance play to your ticket transaction either intentionally or by error?  Maybe it's a racket at that store, force people to buy unwanted advance plays by raising their voice and threatening to call police??

I've had issues with latex residue interfering with scans too.

grwurston's avatar - 144
        Let's Go Rangers!!!
        bel air maryland
        United States
        Member #90251
        April 24, 2010
        5093 Posts
        Posted: May 24, 2014, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

You should have let her call law enforcement and waited for them to show up.  I'd be pissed if a clerk told me that after looking at my playslip and advance play wasn't marked. Couldn't she have manually applied advance play to your ticket transaction either intentionally or by error?  Maybe it's a racket at that store, force people to buy unwanted advance plays by raising their voice and threatening to call police??

I agree. She probably figures if she yells loud enough it will intimidate people into paying. But if she is doing something fishy, and someone say's "Go ahead, call the cops," then she's busted. And if she suddenly say's, " Okay, you don't have to pay" then you KNOW she was doing something fishy.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

United States
          Member #128790
          June 2, 2012
          5431 Posts
          Posted: May 24, 2014, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

This story sounds fishy to me.

I bet Noise was asking everyone on line what type of house they'd buy if they won the PB. The owner got pissed and asked him to leave for harassing the customers. Green laugh

"YOU GO NOW, YOU BEEN HEEYA FOUR HOUR!!"

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7341 Posts
            Posted: May 24, 2014, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

You should have not paid for it.  You should have knocked over the cheesy poofs.

What I have found that often happens, is that if you put your playslip on the counter it can pick up scratcher latex residue from the previous scratchead who was making an awful mess.  Or that a previous player can do that and contaminate the screen.  Then to clean the screen they use a paper towel, or something they should'nt be using, and can then scratch the inside display glass as well.

You should have made her eat it. 

Thats a problem that MUSL tries to dump on the players by saying all sales final. What if it was $100 bucks, then what would you have done?

If you didn't fill in the box, you should have said I am sorry, your machine is filthy.

Make sure you take your playslip with you.  She might try and do an old switcheroo, and mark the advance play to show the cops.

"She might try and do an old switcheroo, and mark the advance play to show the cops."

I can't think of anything the cops could charge a lottery player or any other customer with that didn't walk out of the store with an item without paying for it. I saw people place a dozen eggs on the conveyor belt and the package was leaking. That customer can't prove they didn't break any eggs on their way to the check out but will the police force them to pay for the broken eggs?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4144 Posts
              Posted: May 24, 2014, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

Not my regular stop MrC- just wanted to avoid trouble. But your point is well taken.

Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4144 Posts
                Posted: May 24, 2014, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

"She might try and do an old switcheroo, and mark the advance play to show the cops."

I can't think of anything the cops could charge a lottery player or any other customer with that didn't walk out of the store with an item without paying for it. I saw people place a dozen eggs on the conveyor belt and the package was leaking. That customer can't prove they didn't break any eggs on their way to the check out but will the police force them to pay for the broken eggs?

l wanted to avoid any confrontation with this woman Stack- besides, California has this thing about "All Sales Final". Apparently when PB was introduced to the State last year, many folk who were used to paying $1.00 for a line in the MM game were filling out PB slips either out of ignorance of other and attempting to pay $1.00 a line as well, many convenient store owners would tell the people that PB was $2.00 a line and some would shrug their shoulders and leave the ticket on the counter. l did not want to get into a verbal slugging match with the woman- l paid and left.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: May 24, 2014, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

I'da probably taken it cuz I always take mistake tickets.

But if she got nasty right off the bat, I'da told her to jam it.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7341 Posts
                    Posted: May 24, 2014, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

This story sounds fishy to me.

I bet Noise was asking everyone on line what type of house they'd buy if they won the PB. The owner got pissed and asked him to leave for harassing the customers. Green laugh

"YOU GO NOW, YOU BEEN HEEYA FOUR HOUR!!"

I had almost the same thing happen to me, but mine was even more weird. My play slip had five lines marked, but the machine printed out 10 lines on each of two tickets with six advanced drawings for a total of $120. I was told I must pay for the tickets because "all sales are final" and I told them I didn't ask for the $120 worth of tickets the clerk gave me.

If you pumped $20 worth of gas into your tank, the pump shows $20, but the clerk says their cash register shows you owe $120, would you pay?

The only comment I'm making about this situation is I would not pay, and tell the clerk to go ahead and call the cops if I knew for a fact it was her mistake.

Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4144 Posts
                      Posted: May 24, 2014, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

I'da probably taken it cuz I always take mistake tickets.

But if she got nasty right off the bat, I'da told her to jam it.

Ridge- these convenient stores out here have C A M E R A S all over the darn place- the last thing l want to see is my mug on the 6.00pm news saying something " other than what transpired" on tape. l decided to pick my battle, pay and leave. My shadow will not darken that store entrance ever again.... however should l win- l may reach across the counter and place a hot wet one on her..

1977's avatar - flower2
                        st. pete
                        United States
                        Member #6680
                        September 3, 2004
                        1227 Posts
                        Posted: May 24, 2014, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

So here l was coming home from visiting a friend last night, l drop in on this convenient store and fill out a PB payslip for 2 lines and hand it to the Vietnamese woman behind the counter. She slides it through the machine and says " $16.00"- and l am like " No, its $4.00 straight". She shows me the ticket and says " You pay $16.00- California say All Sales FINAL" l look at this woman and tell her that l distinctly marked 2 rows, what's the problem?

This woman starts raising her voice and tells me " You pay $16.00- you mark Advance Play, that why you now pay the money", l took the slip and looked over the " advance play section and there is zero marks in that section, so l tell her" l respectfully disagreed with her telling me that l must pay $16.00!" Next she says " You not pay, l call law enforcement, you mark ticket, you pay- l no want PB ticket"

l decided  to cough up the $16.00 and walked away from the joint.

Beware of those  " Advance Play" sections people, l learned the hard way!!

Looking back, l have to chuckle.

Have a Great Memorial day and rest of the week People..

Check the TIME  on your ticket....It could have been from  a person  before you///who didnot have the $16.----Then You can call the LOTTERY COP if  the time doesnot match the time you were there...

Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4144 Posts
                          Posted: May 24, 2014, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

I had almost the same thing happen to me, but mine was even more weird. My play slip had five lines marked, but the machine printed out 10 lines on each of two tickets with six advanced drawings for a total of $120. I was told I must pay for the tickets because "all sales are final" and I told them I didn't ask for the $120 worth of tickets the clerk gave me.

If you pumped $20 worth of gas into your tank, the pump shows $20, but the clerk says their cash register shows you owe $120, would you pay?

The only comment I'm making about this situation is I would not pay, and tell the clerk to go ahead and call the cops if I knew for a fact it was her mistake.

Whoa, $120.00, that's a little excessive.

l do consider myself quick thinking on my feet and surmised- " what if l do have the winning # for the next few drawings".. besides, this store is a little off the beaten track. It could give the appearance of someone taking advantage of Asian store keeper's, after all l did fill in the ticket on property.So l have 4 advance plays- whether that's a good thing or not is left to be seen.

United States
                            Member #149820
                            December 9, 2013
                            644 Posts
                            Posted: May 24, 2014, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

Ridge- these convenient stores out here have C A M E R A S all over the darn place- the last thing l want to see is my mug on the 6.00pm news saying something " other than what transpired" on tape. l decided to pick my battle, pay and leave. My shadow will not darken that store entrance ever again.... however should l win- l may reach across the counter and place a hot wet one on her..

Definitely do not plant one on her LOL. You'll be worth millions, she might sue you for some kind of assault. I on the other hand would have taken my payslip back and the receipt stapled them together and contacted my state lottery association and reported the store for misconduct. If they dont know the rules they shouldnt be selling tickets and ripping off customers. They need to be reported asap

Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4144 Posts
                              Posted: May 24, 2014, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

Definitely do not plant one on her LOL. You'll be worth millions, she might sue you for some kind of assault. I on the other hand would have taken my payslip back and the receipt stapled them together and contacted my state lottery association and reported the store for misconduct. If they dont know the rules they shouldnt be selling tickets and ripping off customers. They need to be reported asap

Right... No wet ones.

l did not think it worth the hassle Shelby, now had she told me to cough up $120.00, l would have fought it.