Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does anyone miss Jackpot fever?

Topic closed. 63 replies. Last post 2 years ago by music*.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Goteki54's avatar - Lottery-007.jpg
Baltimore, MD
United States
Member #143332
May 30, 2013
398 Posts
Posted: July 27, 2014, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

I remember the days when the Mega Million and Powerball jackpots were over $400 million, and everybody and their grandma were buying tickets. The media was interviewing the hopefuls in line buying tickets. We all know hitting is a long shot, but it was the exciting around the whole thing that made it fun, Discussing what you would do if it was you who hit. Is it me or is it that the lottery has become kind of blah with the absence of the huge MM and Powerball jackpots? Do you miss jackpot fever?

Following the trends and patterns means following the money!Banana

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10351 Posts
    Posted: July 27, 2014, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

People get numb to it until a much higher jackpot comes up.

Here on LP a lot of the 'jackpot fever threads' could be put on a rolodex, nothing really changes other than the amount and the date, but I'm sure a lot of people think it's a little dull without them.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Baltimore, MD
      United States
      Member #143332
      May 30, 2013
      398 Posts
      Posted: July 27, 2014, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

The larger the numbers, the bigger the thrill and excitement. I guess maybe in a way it's kind of good that huge jackpots aren't so frequent. If they were, then people would get use to them  and the excitement still wouldn't be there.

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
        SW Florida
        United States
        Member #145673
        August 11, 2013
        152 Posts
        Posted: July 27, 2014, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

I get Jackpot Fever over ANY jackpot Embarassed   The really massive ones actually make me nervous ... more like Jackpot Phobia, in that case.  But not a phobia I mind having once in a while.  Unlike my phobia of spiders Eek  I hate spiders.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5603 Posts
          Posted: July 27, 2014, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

I get Jackpot Fever over ANY jackpot Embarassed   The really massive ones actually make me nervous ... more like Jackpot Phobia, in that case.  But not a phobia I mind having once in a while.  Unlike my phobia of spiders Eek  I hate spiders.

Yeah, I'm in every draw I can play. Any jackpot would get me out of debt and except for the 2 Step game, let me retire.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Sunny California
            United States
            Member #40295
            May 31, 2006
            7712 Posts
            Posted: July 27, 2014, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely not. I wish the jackpots were split up more...like 400 people winning a mil each opposed to one person winning the whole enchilada. What one person needs 400 million dollars?

MsNumberDreamer's avatar - lottery balls-cash.jpg
              North Carolina
              United States
              Member #145690
              August 11, 2013
              259 Posts
              Posted: July 27, 2014, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

I like to play when the jackpot hits at least 100 million but now it seems it is won before it can even get that high.I don't remember there being so many winners. It does take the fun out but it also gives me more hope that it can be won!

To God be the glory... 

When you're winning you're being blessed by Him!

Baltimore, MD
                United States
                Member #143332
                May 30, 2013
                398 Posts
                Posted: July 27, 2014, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

400 people?!!!No No I don't mind spliting 400 million with two, three or even four people but no way 400 people on a 400 million jackpot. Remember if you take the cash option and pay all the taxes, you'll be lucky to bring home under $500,000. I do like it better when two hit the mega jackpots rather then one. Of course if I was the only winner, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.Green laugh

United States
                  Member #135804
                  November 29, 2012
                  318 Posts
                  Posted: July 27, 2014, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Yes.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                    Mcminnville, Oregon
                    United States
                    Member #3013
                    December 13, 2003
                    3052 Posts
                    Posted: July 27, 2014, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

I like both big and small jackpots because you need a little one before they reach out this world levels.  Plus with my lotto budget being around $100 for each month I like to play a couple a dollars on every jackpot not a lot on a big jackpot.  Some players like to wait for the big ones and then spend big on them but I like the spend a little on each one and see if I can get a decent prize level that way.  You never know when lady luck is going to give your ticket the winning numbers.-weshar75

US Flag

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10351 Posts
                      Posted: July 28, 2014, 12:26 am - IP Logged

It's probably a lot better to hit a jackpot that isn't getting national attention than one that is.

You'd still get hounded anyway but hopefully wouldn't get 'relatives' you never knew you had from faraway states putting the bite on you.

Of course if you live in one of the few states that allows you to remain anonymous it wouldn't matter.

As much.

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                        Member #52345
                        May 21, 2007
                        2659 Posts
                        Posted: July 28, 2014, 6:20 am - IP Logged

It's probably a lot better to hit a jackpot that isn't getting national attention than one that is.

You'd still get hounded anyway but hopefully wouldn't get 'relatives' you never knew you had from faraway states putting the bite on you.

Of course if you live in one of the few states that allows you to remain anonymous it wouldn't matter.

As much.

Bang Head

I Agree!

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                          u$a
                          United States
                          Member #106665
                          February 22, 2011
                          19840 Posts
                          Posted: July 28, 2014, 8:09 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman

u$a
                            United States
                            Member #106665
                            February 22, 2011
                            19840 Posts
                            Posted: July 28, 2014, 8:10 am - IP Logged

I like both big and small jackpots because you need a little one before they reach out this world levels.  Plus with my lotto budget being around $100 for each month I like to play a couple a dollars on every jackpot not a lot on a big jackpot.  Some players like to wait for the big ones and then spend big on them but I like the spend a little on each one and see if I can get a decent prize level that way.  You never know when lady luck is going to give your ticket the winning numbers.-weshar75

US Flag

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman

u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106665
                              February 22, 2011
                              19840 Posts
                              Posted: July 28, 2014, 8:12 am - IP Logged

I remember the days when the Mega Million and Powerball jackpots were over $400 million, and everybody and their grandma were buying tickets. The media was interviewing the hopefuls in line buying tickets. We all know hitting is a long shot, but it was the exciting around the whole thing that made it fun, Discussing what you would do if it was you who hit. Is it me or is it that the lottery has become kind of blah with the absence of the huge MM and Powerball jackpots? Do you miss jackpot fever?

Good post Smiley

Let it Snow Snowman