Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Will we ever see a double win?

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 2 years ago by DamGod.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Poo Nanny's avatar - 2649029

United States
Member #125766
March 30, 2012
63 Posts
Posted: August 4, 2014, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

I can't imagine what the odds might be, but do you ever think we will see anyone pull of a mega million win and then on the next draw hit the powerball? Or vice versa? I say it has to happen at some point and I want to be the lucky one to do it.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4109 Posts
    Posted: August 4, 2014, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

I can't imagine what the odds might be, but do you ever think we will see anyone pull of a mega million win and then on the next draw hit the powerball? Or vice versa? I say it has to happen at some point and I want to be the lucky one to do it.

I hope you pull it off as well Rorschach.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: August 5, 2014, 2:06 am - IP Logged

It could happen but I think it's highly unlikely.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #149492
        December 2, 2013
        919 Posts
        Posted: August 5, 2014, 2:34 am - IP Logged

Most likely not.  I doubt we'll see anyone win both jackpots in their lifetime, let alone back-to-back.

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40566 Posts
          Posted: August 5, 2014, 7:57 am - IP Logged

We've seen stranger things in the world of lottery.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
            Happyland
            United States
            Member #146344
            September 1, 2013
            1129 Posts
            Posted: August 5, 2014, 8:15 am - IP Logged

Assuming one ticket each, the odds are about 1 in 45.4 quadrillion. So although possible, it is extremely unlikely to happen. Fun to think about it though

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
            P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10353 Posts
              Posted: August 5, 2014, 11:22 am - IP Logged

If it ever does happen people will be yelling "FIXED!"

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19830 Posts
                Posted: August 5, 2014, 11:31 am - IP Logged

Just do the math, (the odds of winning Magamillions) x (the odds of winning PowerBall) x (the odds of winning both on a specifics day).

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7318 Posts
                  Posted: August 5, 2014, 11:42 am - IP Logged

If you can't imagine the odds or even do the math, why do you think it will happen?

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7318 Posts
                    Posted: August 5, 2014, 11:57 am - IP Logged

Just do the math, (the odds of winning Magamillions) x (the odds of winning PowerBall) x (the odds of winning both on a specifics day).

If a players buys one ticket in each game, the odds of winning something in both games is 457 to 1. Sometimes I think this type of thread is started to see how creedy people can be.

United States
                      Member #128790
                      June 2, 2012
                      5431 Posts
                      Posted: August 5, 2014, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

I CAN imagine what the odds are. This thread is proof positive of how uninformed the majority of the public is regarding the astronomical odds against them winning.

I wonder what the odds are in the uninformed masses getting a clue in my lifetime. I'd estimate it would be in the hundreds of trillions. 

Thud

Suckers !

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19830 Posts
                        Posted: August 5, 2014, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

Most likely not.  I doubt we'll see anyone win both jackpots in their lifetime, let alone back-to-back.

They'll never have a better chance if they can't do it doing their lifetime.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                          Member #125766
                          March 30, 2012
                          63 Posts
                          Posted: August 5, 2014, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

If you can't imagine the odds or even do the math, why do you think it will happen?

Well I know the odds of winning one jackpot but not two back to back. Anything can happen, that's why I think it will happen at some point if the lotto is played long enough.

United States
                            Member #125766
                            March 30, 2012
                            63 Posts
                            Posted: August 5, 2014, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

I CAN imagine what the odds are. This thread is proof positive of how uninformed the majority of the public is regarding the astronomical odds against them winning.

I wonder what the odds are in the uninformed masses getting a clue in my lifetime. I'd estimate it would be in the hundreds of trillions. 

Thud

Suckers !

You are just as much a sucker for playing as I am. Frankly, I am sure you are a douche in real life.

sandia's avatar - disney24
                              TEXAS
                              United States
                              Member #107766
                              March 13, 2011
                              196 Posts
                              Posted: August 5, 2014, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

The chance of that happening might be steep but, I don't think it will be impossible, nearly impossibly maybe but, not impossible.