Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 4:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Will we ever see a double win?

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 2 years ago by DamGod.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7341 Posts
Posted: August 5, 2014, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

Well I know the odds of winning one jackpot but not two back to back. Anything can happen, that's why I think it will happen at some point if the lotto is played long enough.

If we all had enough time, we would all win at least one of the jackpots and possibly several. Each games has only 104 drawings a year and even with 208 combined drawings, plan on playing 81,730 years just to have a 10% chance. What are the odds against the same five numbers and the same bonus number drawn back to back?

United States
    Member #128790
    June 2, 2012
    5431 Posts
    Posted: August 5, 2014, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

You are just as much a sucker for playing as I am. Frankly, I am sure you are a douche in real life.

But I don't play, so I'm not a sucker. The only thing I play is the p-3 and maybe once a month I'll play a Florida Fantasy Five for skits and giggles.

Actually I'm really a nice guy in real life. What other life are you talking about? This is the only real life I'm aware of.

United States
      Member #93947
      July 10, 2010
      2180 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2014, 4:31 am - IP Logged

But I don't play, so I'm not a sucker. The only thing I play is the p-3 and maybe once a month I'll play a Florida Fantasy Five for skits and giggles.

Actually I'm really a nice guy in real life. What other life are you talking about? This is the only real life I'm aware of.

This isn't for MM or PB, but if you're curious to see what happened when a Hypothetical player hoping for double wins played "Yesterday's Winner" every day straight in a Pick-3 game for 33 years,
      Click Here...

United States
        Member #128790
        June 2, 2012
        5431 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2014, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

This isn't for MM or PB, but if you're curious to see what happened when a Hypothetical player hoping for double wins played "Yesterday's Winner" every day straight in a Pick-3 game for 33 years,
        Click Here...

I'd have to say that would be one of the worst strategies in p-3.

United States
          Member #128790
          June 2, 2012
          5431 Posts
          Posted: August 6, 2014, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

Wow, talk about strange occurrences lately. I guess I spoke too soon. lol

Florida,

Wed, Aug 6, 20140-2-54-1-5-4
          Tue, Aug 5, 20142-3-30-2-5
            Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7341 Posts
            Posted: August 6, 2014, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

Assuming one ticket each, the odds are about 1 in 45.4 quadrillion. So although possible, it is extremely unlikely to happen. Fun to think about it though

Those are the same odds I came up with, but then I realized there are several million MM results impossible for PB to match. MM has 12,253,004 five number outcomes PB can't match and including the bonus numbers, there are "only" 75,095,790 combos that are in both games.  Of the last PB 100 drawing, a bonus number over 15 was drawn 61 times so there was a 1 in 45.4 quadrillion chance in only about 40% of the drawings.

If they keep on drawing both games, eventually it will happen, but I wouldn't bet on when it will happen.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
              Happyland
              United States
              Member #146344
              September 1, 2013
              1130 Posts
              Posted: August 6, 2014, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

Those are the same odds I came up with, but then I realized there are several million MM results impossible for PB to match. MM has 12,253,004 five number outcomes PB can't match and including the bonus numbers, there are "only" 75,095,790 combos that are in both games.  Of the last PB 100 drawing, a bonus number over 15 was drawn 61 times so there was a 1 in 45.4 quadrillion chance in only about 40% of the drawings.

If they keep on drawing both games, eventually it will happen, but I wouldn't bet on when it will happen.

That's irrelevant.....both games are independent events; thus, under the Multiplicative Rule, you simply multiple the odds of winning for each game by the other.

Assuming one ticket in each game, the odds of winning the jackpot on both are 1 in 45,363,763,000,000,000.

See http://www.mathwords.com/m/multiplication_rule.htm.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
              If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
              P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
                Member #93947
                July 10, 2010
                2180 Posts
                Posted: August 7, 2014, 1:58 am - IP Logged

I had hoped you would have noticed that that "strategy" resulted in 14 straight hits over the 33 years, approximately what you would have expected by buying quick picks.  Read further into the thread and note what happened when the winning draw from (2) days ago was consistently bet on.  It might just occur to you that it doesn't really matter what "strategy" or "system" you use - your winnings will average out to be approximately the same no matter what you do.  Also read the opening post of the thread linked to above.

United States
                  Member #128790
                  June 2, 2012
                  5431 Posts
                  Posted: August 7, 2014, 9:59 am - IP Logged

I had hoped you would have noticed that that "strategy" resulted in 14 straight hits over the 33 years, approximately what you would have expected by buying quick picks.  Read further into the thread and note what happened when the winning draw from (2) days ago was consistently bet on.  It might just occur to you that it doesn't really matter what "strategy" or "system" you use - your winnings will average out to be approximately the same no matter what you do.  Also read the opening post of the thread linked to above.

You know Jimmy, you and I have always agreed on the near impossibility of winning a major JP in our lifetimes, but I disagree when you say no strategy will prevail when using a system in the p-3. 

Using a random number generator is not the same as picking personal numbers based on a whole host of variables that can be taken advantage of when making selections.

Peter St. Pierre has been doing it for over five years now making an average of 70 grand a year playing the p-3 and p-4 in the N.H. lottery. I'm pretty sure you'd agree he isn't using a random number generator.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19894 Posts
                    Posted: August 7, 2014, 11:23 am - IP Logged

You know Jimmy, you and I have always agreed on the near impossibility of winning a major JP in our lifetimes, but I disagree when you say no strategy will prevail when using a system in the p-3. 

Using a random number generator is not the same as picking personal numbers based on a whole host of variables that can be taken advantage of when making selections.

Peter St. Pierre has been doing it for over five years now making an average of 70 grand a year playing the p-3 and p-4 in the N.H. lottery. I'm pretty sure you'd agree he isn't using a random number generator.

"You know Jimmy, you and I have always agreed on the near impossibility of winning a major JP in our lifetimes, but I disagree when you say no strategy will prevail when using a system in the p-3." 

When it comes to agreeing on the near impossibility of winning a major JP in our lifetimes it's hard for anyone to disagree because the odds of winning says the same thing.  As far as I know, no one who claims to have won their first JP with a strategy or system such as Brad Duke has ever won a second one.  Eventually they have to blame luck more than anything else for their win.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7341 Posts
                      Posted: August 7, 2014, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

That's irrelevant.....both games are independent events; thus, under the Multiplicative Rule, you simply multiple the odds of winning for each game by the other.

Assuming one ticket in each game, the odds of winning the jackpot on both are 1 in 45,363,763,000,000,000.

You're correct and I should be more clear in that I was talking about the same results repeating. Maybe someone has the statistic of how many times PB and MM had jackpot winners in consecutive drawings.

United States
                        Member #93947
                        July 10, 2010
                        2180 Posts
                        Posted: August 7, 2014, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

I agree.  When you ask about the probability of winning two games, back to back, BEFORE either are drawn, the odds get extremely high.  However, just be sure to remember that this differs from the case where someone asks, as an afterthought, AFTER they have won yesterdays jackpot, "What is the probability of winning today's jackpot?"  The formula is the same, P(winning yesterday's jackpot) Multiplied By P(winning today's jackpot).    The difference here is that the probability of winning yesterday's jackpot is 1.0, because it has already happened.

Happyland
                          United States
                          Member #146344
                          September 1, 2013
                          1130 Posts
                          Posted: August 7, 2014, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

I agree.  When you ask about the probability of winning two games, back to back, BEFORE either are drawn, the odds get extremely high.  However, just be sure to remember that this differs from the case where someone asks, as an afterthought, AFTER they have won yesterdays jackpot, "What is the probability of winning today's jackpot?"  The formula is the same, P(winning yesterday's jackpot) Multiplied By P(winning today's jackpot).    The difference here is that the probability of winning yesterday's jackpot is 1.0, because it has already happened.

Help me out here and explain the difference.

Even if the probability of winning yesterday's jackpot is 1.0, the probability that you win today's jackpot too is conditional on the fact that you won yesterday's jackpot. It doesn't matter that you win "after;" the probability is the same as if you win "at the same time."

Example, if MM and PB draws at the exact same time, there is no difference in probability compared to if they draw 5 minutes between one another or a day after one another because each event is completely independent. We're talking about consecutive/simultaneous hits so order and duration doesn't matter.

Or are you just pointing out a technicality that after an event has happened, its individual probability is 1?

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

United States
                            Member #93947
                            July 10, 2010
                            2180 Posts
                            Posted: August 7, 2014, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

Help me out here and explain the difference.

Even if the probability of winning yesterday's jackpot is 1.0, the probability that you win today's jackpot too is conditional on the fact that you won yesterday's jackpot. It doesn't matter that you win "after;" the probability is the same as if you win "at the same time."

Example, if MM and PB draws at the exact same time, there is no difference in probability compared to if they draw 5 minutes between one another or a day after one another because each event is completely independent. We're talking about consecutive/simultaneous hits so order and duration doesn't matter.

Or are you just pointing out a technicality that after an event has happened, its individual probability is 1?

I'm surprised you don't see my point.  Read your reply again.  The problem here is semantic.  Haven't you noticed how often people tend to multiply the probabilities of two independent events together and gasping at the large number, when the 2nd event was not predicted in advance?  I've seen retrospective oohs and aahs here over people who had multiple big hits spread over years.  It's easier to see flipping a coin.  If your question is what is the probability of flipping a fair coin heads two times in a row, starting now, the answer is (1/2)*(1/2) or 1/4.  But if you ask what the probability of flipping a coin heads is for the next flip only, no matter what occurred previously, the answer is 1/2.

Happyland
                              United States
                              Member #146344
                              September 1, 2013
                              1130 Posts
                              Posted: August 7, 2014, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

I'm surprised you don't see my point.  Read your reply again.  The problem here is semantic.  Haven't you noticed how often people tend to multiply the probabilities of two independent events together and gasping at the large number, when the 2nd event was not predicted in advance?  I've seen retrospective oohs and aahs here over people who had multiple big hits spread over years.  It's easier to see flipping a coin.  If your question is what is the probability of flipping a fair coin heads two times in a row, starting now, the answer is (1/2)*(1/2) or 1/4.  But if you ask what the probability of flipping a coin heads is for the next flip only, no matter what occurred previously, the answer is 1/2.

Okay I think I get what you're saying.

If someone buys a PB ticket, the odds of them hitting the jackpot are 1 in 175,223,510 regardless whether they also bought a MM ticket and won/lost. Yet the odds of hitting PB given that you also hit MM if you only buy 1 ticket each (as you say, starting now) would be 1 in 45.4 quadrillion. It's almost paradoxical.

I've seen retrospective oohs and aahs here over people who had multiple big hits spread over years.

Similar to how the experts quote Ginther's odds of hitting 4 jackpots at 1 in 18 septillion, even though the odds for most of her wins were only one in a million+ each, and we know for a fact she didn't just buy 1 ticket in each game...she purchased thousands. If you factor in the number of trials that take place between wins, the odds are not so extreme after all.