Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Career cover story after winning the lottery?

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 2 years ago by MADDOG10.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #157749
July 29, 2014
1 Posts
Posted: August 4, 2014, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

After winning the jackpot maintaining a low profile is a huge concern for some people. And after telling the few select people you trust you're probably not going to want to tell anyone else. But if you decide you want to quit your job, buy a new house, a new car (or a few) and take vacations...people may start to take notice. So comes my question, what would you tell people when they ask what you do for a living? I think that is a question I would have a hard time answering. I think people would notice that you are not working yet seem to be maintaining a certain style of living and I think they would start to ask a lot of questions. They would want to know the secrets to your success, they would want details, they would want to know how you got to where you are.... So what would you tell them? What would your cover story be?

United States
    Member #145267
    August 1, 2013
    1492 Posts
    Posted: August 4, 2014, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

I made an investment that paid-off.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4102 Posts
      Posted: August 4, 2014, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

After winning the jackpot maintaining a low profile is a huge concern for some people. And after telling the few select people you trust you're probably not going to want to tell anyone else. But if you decide you want to quit your job, buy a new house, a new car (or a few) and take vacations...people may start to take notice. So comes my question, what would you tell people when they ask what you do for a living? I think that is a question I would have a hard time answering. I think people would notice that you are not working yet seem to be maintaining a certain style of living and I think they would start to ask a lot of questions. They would want to know the secrets to your success, they would want details, they would want to know how you got to where you are.... So what would you tell them? What would your cover story be?

..people may start to take notice.. Which people? where l live people pretty much mind their own business.

what would you tell people when they ask what you do for a living?..Once again- people in this neck of the woods don't go about asking personal questions about how much you worth or how did you got to where you are at present.If people ask to many questions simple tell them that discussing money is a private matter... and just walk away. 

* What l am saying is : You don't have to tell anyone a darn thing. Man Up, grow a pair!

United States
        Member #135804
        November 29, 2012
        317 Posts
        Posted: August 4, 2014, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

"I don't do anything." Learn from the idle heirs and heiresses, come to terms with your wealth. You don't owe anyone anything, not even an explanation.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7295 Posts
          Posted: August 4, 2014, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

"What would your cover story be?"

Even the states that give anonymity usually publish the name and location of the store where the ticket was purchased and in the other states the winner's name is shown on a giant check they are holding. It would be very difficult hiding a change in life style to family and friends so even if they're not told, some of them will figure it out.

"So comes my question, what would you tell people when they ask what you do for a living?"

I can't remember the last time someone asked me that and I can't think of any reason other than professionally for asking. Sounds more like you're assuming most jackpot winners want to hide that fact from their family and friends.

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7295 Posts
            Posted: August 4, 2014, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

..people may start to take notice.. Which people? where l live people pretty much mind their own business.

what would you tell people when they ask what you do for a living?..Once again- people in this neck of the woods don't go about asking personal questions about how much you worth or how did you got to where you are at present.If people ask to many questions simple tell them that discussing money is a private matter... and just walk away. 

* What l am saying is : You don't have to tell anyone a darn thing. Man Up, grow a pair!

I Agree!

It's the same as asking "career cover story after stealing a large amount of money".

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
              Happyland
              United States
              Member #146344
              September 1, 2013
              1129 Posts
              Posted: August 4, 2014, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

"I operate a chain of successful laundromats."

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
              If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
              P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
                Member #145267
                August 1, 2013
                1492 Posts
                Posted: August 4, 2014, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

I can see some people asking questions about you.  My be at a dinner, you meet a new friend or a neighbor in your new neighborhood.

Poo Nanny's avatar - 2649029

United States
                  Member #125766
                  March 30, 2012
                  63 Posts
                  Posted: August 4, 2014, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

I would just tell them I am a importer/exporter with Vanderlay Induststries.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10344 Posts
                    Posted: August 5, 2014, 12:10 am - IP Logged

I would just tell them I am a importer/exporter with Vanderlay Induststries.

Green laugh

Good one Poo Nanny.

I would tell them that I finally got a patent on my prescription windshield invention for drivers who don't want to wear glasses or contacts.

I would add to that the auto insurance companies are paying me bonuses because the prescription windshields really cut down on auto theft!

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                      Member #52345
                      May 21, 2007
                      2657 Posts
                      Posted: August 5, 2014, 6:15 am - IP Logged

Type if asked .......

I think I'd tell them I work as a coffin salesman and give them a link to my friend's coffin werks LOL

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                        United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3854 Posts
                        Posted: August 5, 2014, 7:31 am - IP Logged

The $ is from a legal settlement. The terms of that settlement are sealed by the court and I cannot discuss it.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                          Ringleader
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #81740
                          October 28, 2009
                          40293 Posts
                          Posted: August 5, 2014, 7:56 am - IP Logged

I'd say what money? I abuse credit cards, lol

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                            Member #52345
                            May 21, 2007
                            2657 Posts
                            Posted: August 5, 2014, 8:06 am - IP Logged

I'd say what money? I abuse credit cards, lol

Green laughthat would work ........ 

but then you'd have to hire some tough guys to act as repo men after a few years

sully16's avatar - sharan
                              Ringleader
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #81740
                              October 28, 2009
                              40293 Posts
                              Posted: August 5, 2014, 8:09 am - IP Logged

Green laughthat would work ........ 

but then you'd have to hire some tough guys to act as repo men after a few years

My brother in law has a towing company, lol I'm all set.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"