Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Career cover story after winning the lottery?

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 2 years ago by MADDOG10.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
Columbus, Ohio
United States
Member #128906
June 5, 2012
591 Posts
Posted: August 5, 2014, 9:14 am - IP Logged

I would just tell them I am a importer/exporter with Vanderlay Induststries.

Classic

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
    Columbus, Ohio
    United States
    Member #128906
    June 5, 2012
    591 Posts
    Posted: August 5, 2014, 9:37 am - IP Logged

Even tho it's no ones business, I'm going to say rentals which i do now... I live in a great area where properties are cheap and it's easy to be cash flow positive.

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
      Republic of Texas
      United States
      Member #57557
      January 9, 2008
      1095 Posts
      Posted: August 5, 2014, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

I was at a block party over the 4th of July and we all discussed what we do for a living. (My next door neighbor works for a drone start up - we had fun with that one.) So it does come up in social situations.

Although I love Sully's answer, I have mine all set - divorce settlement from construction & development co my ex & I started, and am now retired. There's some truth, along with fiction.

You don't have to tell outright lies, and you can always say something your job is working for a wealthy individual & highly confidential. Some truth to that, too. If pressed for what you do for them, just say 'Enforcer'.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

germantown md
        United States
        Member #64543
        August 31, 2008
        3771 Posts
        Posted: August 5, 2014, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

i made a big business move by investing my last dollar and what is your line of work if i may ask

Thegee

hush!!!! money is speaking White Bounce

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: August 8, 2014, 8:57 am - IP Logged

Chances are you will move to a neighborhood where everybody has money and no one cares about how their neighbors make theirs.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10348 Posts
            Posted: August 8, 2014, 10:18 am - IP Logged

Divorce lawyer for same sex marriages, especially celebrity same sex marriages.

This may in fact be an up and coming occupation to be in!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

New York
              United States
              Member #157288
              July 14, 2014
              170 Posts
              Posted: August 8, 2014, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

My cover story: I was a model, a foot model. You know the before and after photos? Well I was the before... It made me very rich...

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #94283
                July 17, 2010
                2284 Posts
                Posted: August 8, 2014, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

I'm not concerned about strangers asking.  I'm concerned about relatives, former co-workers and acquaintances who I really wouldn't want nosing around in my business asking where I got all the money I'm suddenly spending after being lower middle class for all my life. 

Depending on the situation (whether or not I want to stay on good terms with them), I'd say "What a rude question!" or "I don't discuss finances outside of my close family" or "You know how frugally I've been living!  Well now I'm spending all the money I've been saving up." 

If new acquaintances who don't know anything about my background ask what I do for a living I'd have no problem saying I'm retired early.  If they ask where I got the money I'd use one of the previous answers.

pepper1's avatar - batman38
                  hotatlanta
                  United States
                  Member #70664
                  February 8, 2009
                  1446 Posts
                  Posted: August 9, 2014, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

I'm not concerned about strangers asking.  I'm concerned about relatives, former co-workers and acquaintances who I really wouldn't want nosing around in my business asking where I got all the money I'm suddenly spending after being lower middle class for all my life. 

Depending on the situation (whether or not I want to stay on good terms with them), I'd say "What a rude question!" or "I don't discuss finances outside of my close family" or "You know how frugally I've been living!  Well now I'm spending all the money I've been saving up." 

If new acquaintances who don't know anything about my background ask what I do for a living I'd have no problem saying I'm retired early.  If they ask where I got the money I'd use one of the previous answers.

I would be concerned about relatives. I would say I won cash four are something. I would say 401K are investment to friends. Are I just

might say none of your dam business.  Rich neighbors know if you belong there are not, so they would want to know were your money came from

United States
                    Member #149820
                    December 9, 2013
                    644 Posts
                    Posted: August 9, 2014, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

After winning the jackpot maintaining a low profile is a huge concern for some people. And after telling the few select people you trust you're probably not going to want to tell anyone else. But if you decide you want to quit your job, buy a new house, a new car (or a few) and take vacations...people may start to take notice. So comes my question, what would you tell people when they ask what you do for a living? I think that is a question I would have a hard time answering. I think people would notice that you are not working yet seem to be maintaining a certain style of living and I think they would start to ask a lot of questions. They would want to know the secrets to your success, they would want details, they would want to know how you got to where you are.... So what would you tell them? What would your cover story be?

Ehhh I'd say one of two things both being the truth, i'd tell them either I won the lottery or it's just none of their business. Keep it simple

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
                      nc
                      United States
                      Member #99520
                      October 26, 2010
                      375 Posts
                      Posted: August 12, 2014, 4:36 am - IP Logged

Well, considering that my dream is to move back to a little farm, there wouldn't be any questions raise.  Everyone knows I have been looking for finances to allow my dream to come true.

two, the day I cash the ticket, I am gone from this crime ridden neighborhood.  Goodby city, hello country.

Tami333's avatar - winifrid
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #139344
                        February 20, 2013
                        1142 Posts
                        Posted: August 12, 2014, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

I'm Romy White and after inventing the Post-It note, I went to work at GOOGLE and took an early retirement when the company stock hit $500 a share.  It's believable. ha ha 

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                          Texas Panhandle
                          United States
                          Member #136843
                          December 20, 2012
                          1272 Posts
                          Posted: August 12, 2014, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

I'll narrow my eyes and tell them in my best Tony Soprano impersonation/New Jersey accent that "I made a killing in the sanitation business."

That oughta shut 'em up.

Mr-Smith's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                            rekjavik
                            Iceland
                            Member #99537
                            October 27, 2010
                            177 Posts
                            Posted: August 13, 2014, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

Im currently investing in futures.....Cheers

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?Patriot

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #92330
                              June 5, 2010
                              887 Posts
                              Posted: August 13, 2014, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

I'd be moving cities if I won so I could somewhat easily use the cover story of working at a startup that got bought out, since I can prove I lived in an area where tech companies were prevalent, and that I'm now moving back to Texas because I have the means to retire here much easier than in California (they don't need to know I've been back in the state for a few years). If asked which startup I was a part of I could simply say I prefer not to disclose that and my major in college would give the claim credence.

Or if I won a smaller amount ($1-$3 million) I would live a lot more "simpler" and have a toned down story, like use the excuse of coming from decent wealth and that I work in online data entry. Would give a good reason as to why I don't have a regular schedule.