Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Career cover story after winning the lottery?

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 2 years ago by MADDOG10.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1183 Posts
Posted: August 16, 2014, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

I would just tell them I am a importer/exporter with Vanderlay Induststries.

This might just be the best answer ever supplied. Thanks for the laugh!

ROFL

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

United States
    Member #142499
    May 13, 2013
    1183 Posts
    Posted: August 16, 2014, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

After winning the jackpot maintaining a low profile is a huge concern for some people. And after telling the few select people you trust you're probably not going to want to tell anyone else. But if you decide you want to quit your job, buy a new house, a new car (or a few) and take vacations...people may start to take notice. So comes my question, what would you tell people when they ask what you do for a living? I think that is a question I would have a hard time answering. I think people would notice that you are not working yet seem to be maintaining a certain style of living and I think they would start to ask a lot of questions. They would want to know the secrets to your success, they would want details, they would want to know how you got to where you are.... So what would you tell them? What would your cover story be?

Kudos to the people who never get asked that question, but I get asked that about once every one to two weeks so it definitely comes up and I've always wondered what my answer would be. I think I'd go with I made an investment that paid off. It definitely wouldn't be a lie.

I know others have said that if you don't claim anonymously then everyone would already know but that's not true unless you're Gloria or Pedro or a winner who enjoys extending his time in the limelight. Months or years down the line no one remembers the names or faces of winners, so yes, if being a lottery winner is something you don't want broadcasted then a cover story makes sense. Good question, Magenta.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
      JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
      Member #141034
      April 2, 2013
      1408 Posts
      Posted: August 16, 2014, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

I usually answer that question with a question,"Why do you wanna know?". If you still insist, I'll simply inform you that it is none of your business.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
        Member #121745
        January 16, 2012
        4791 Posts
        Posted: August 16, 2014, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

Most people who are asking you intrusive financial questions are likely having financial issues and/or busybodies. You don't need to give out any info and can always turn it around and ask a question back.  I have a number of people in my neighborhood who do not appear to work and are not retirement age.  I cannot imagine asking them how they support themselves. I was told one woman was left money by her mother so good for her but it is none of my business.

When I am asked questions like that, I say "OMG! It sounds like you might be having some financial issues.", "maybe your employer can do a referral to a financial counselor", "Have you met with a counselor and does your family/employer know?", etc.  Nine of ten times this seems to work.

J'aime La France.

United States
          Member #142499
          May 13, 2013
          1183 Posts
          Posted: August 17, 2014, 8:29 am - IP Logged

I think you guys are of the mindset that it's a stranger coming up to you on the street or a neighbor just showing up at your door demanding to know what you do for a living. In those circumstances then of course that would be rude and presumptively intrusive. 

But if you've ever joined any kind of social group (say a book club, toastmasters, writing group, volunteer organization) or a community group (e.g. Kiwanis club, Lions Club, etc) there's about a 99% chance that you will be asked your profession at some point in time, and it won't be because of nosiness or someone needing a handout, it will simply be because it's good to know everyone's expertise and industry in those settings. They come in handy. Saying "it's none of your business" would not only be rude, but it will attract more unwanted attention than simply giving an answer.

wisconsin
            United States
            Member #130754
            July 23, 2012
            198 Posts
            Posted: August 17, 2014, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

A hitman for the mob...why ya asking so many questions???

Big Smile

texas
              United States
              Member #141051
              April 3, 2013
              18 Posts
              Posted: August 19, 2014, 4:58 am - IP Logged

hmm this is gonna be tricky for me since I'm currently unemployed but if someone did ask me that then I would say...I have a generous uncle who helps me out.

This can be a good excuse too cause I do have an uncle who is like that. lol

I am gonna focus on the small lotterys for now...

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4791 Posts
                Posted: August 19, 2014, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

I will say I have a sugar daddy on K st....

or I will say I am an employee and stock holder of the Chicken Soap in a Sponge company headed by Ridge.

J'aime La France.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                  Texas Panhandle
                  United States
                  Member #136843
                  December 20, 2012
                  1276 Posts
                  Posted: August 19, 2014, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

I will say I have a sugar daddy on K st....

or I will say I am an employee and stock holder of the Chicken Soap in a Sponge company headed by Ridge.

Or, you could say this:

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
                   - George Orwell

United States
                    Member #121745
                    January 16, 2012
                    4791 Posts
                    Posted: August 20, 2014, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

Or, you could say this:

lol I may use that also!

J'aime La France.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                      Texas Panhandle
                      United States
                      Member #136843
                      December 20, 2012
                      1276 Posts
                      Posted: August 20, 2014, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

I used to work on drilling rigs and during the bust times, I'd be out of work for a while and when someone would ask me what I did for a living, I'd say that in my best Blanche DuBois impersonation.  It usually went over their heads, esp. if they weren't movie buffs like me.

alsmurf4's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                        mississippi
                        United States
                        Member #158372
                        August 20, 2014
                        15 Posts
                        Posted: August 20, 2014, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

Since I'm only a couple of years from retirement anyway," I'm living off my investments" would have to suffice (and yes, that dollar or two would have been a heck of an investment!)

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                          Happy California
                          United States
                          Member #157856
                          August 2, 2014
                          1514 Posts
                          Posted: September 14, 2014, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!Cheers

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
                            Member #158848
                            September 5, 2014
                            294 Posts
                            Posted: September 15, 2014, 3:48 am - IP Logged

Chances are you will move to a neighborhood where everybody has money and no one cares about how their neighbors make theirs.

Pretty much what I was thinking. If you move to a neighborhood where everybody has money, your neighbors most likely won't try to mooch from you, because they have no need to. The ones I'd be worried about are relatives and old friends/acquaintances/former coworkers etc., who don't have all that much money.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                              Beautiful Florida
                              United States
                              Member #5709
                              July 18, 2004
                              20115 Posts
                              Posted: September 15, 2014, 10:42 am - IP Logged

These are all good responses, but I think I would go with. I had a lucrative business and wound up selling it when I was offered

an amount I couldn't turn down, and I'm looking to start another business...

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "