Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 9:52 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

For Fun- You purchase a PB ticket, but end up losing it, so you purchase another...

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Artist77.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4145 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2014, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

....with the same numbers at another location five blocks from the other store. Well come to find out later that evening- there are two winning tickets from your neck of the woods.

You immediately say to yourself " l know that the other ticket has to be the one l purchased" because l played the same numbers twice.

However since you lost it- it no longer belongs to you. Well it gets interesting: a " person of interest" comes forward to claim the other half of the JP with a ticket that was purchased at the very same store you originally bought it at.This person ends up having a press conference and goes off about how they used their kids birthday, baptism and so forth and so on numbers and you saying to yourself " What a liar!".

Question: When you eventually " come forward or not" would you refute the claims of the other winner or simply say to yourself " whatever floats your boat"- at least l got half of the pie? 

• For fun.. meaning, not to be taken serious.Dance

** Have a Great rest of the week and upcoming weekend People !

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3857 Posts
    Posted: August 7, 2014, 8:51 am - IP Logged

The PB JP is big enough that I don't think I'd worry about it,

I,d be thinking that it would not have won had I not lost it, kind of a meant to be thing.

However if you ever lose a PB ticket you could just buy 2 or 3  more w/ same #s for insurance.

Wow, that's expensive insurance, no ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #94283
      July 17, 2010
      2284 Posts
      Posted: August 7, 2014, 10:27 am - IP Logged

However since you lost it- it no longer belongs to you.

Just because you lose something doesn't mean it's not rightfully yours when it is found.  I would definitely tell the attorney who is helping me claim my ticket about it.  If you get on it quickly, there could be store security tape showing you buying the ticket.  Maybe even knowing which store it was bought at could help you claim ownership.

If I do prevail and get the ticket back, if the finder isn't too obnoxious I'd probably give them a finder's fee - 100K or so.  If they piss me off, I'd have no qualms leaving them with nothing.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10390 Posts
        Posted: August 7, 2014, 11:02 am - IP Logged

noise-gate,

There have been several stories about winners getting quizzed by lottery officials to verify they are the ones who bought the ticket.

"How'd you get the numbers, what time did you play it, do you go there often?", etc.... and of course the surveillance cameras.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
          Massachusetts
          United States
          Member #37433
          April 14, 2006
          2747 Posts
          Posted: August 7, 2014, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

I'm not a greedy man and I hate drama/courtroom circus so I'd just quietly wish them success with that money and go spend my catch.

That money's gone fo ever

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
            u$a
            United States
            Member #106665
            February 22, 2011
            19964 Posts
            Posted: August 7, 2014, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

DanceSign your ticket and your life will be drama FREE Patriot

Let it Snow Snowman

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: August 7, 2014, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

DanceSign your ticket and your life will be drama FREE Patriot

Thumbs Up Now thats wassup

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19900 Posts
                Posted: August 7, 2014, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

If you know the numbers you played, where and when you brought them then there is no need to buy them again if you lose the tickets, if they win you simply make your claim and present your evidence. 

The odds of losing a winning a ticket are about the same as buying a winning ticket so chances are buying them again is a waste of money.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4145 Posts
                  Posted: August 7, 2014, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

noise-gate,

There have been several stories about winners getting quizzed by lottery officials to verify they are the ones who bought the ticket.

"How'd you get the numbers, what time did you play it, do you go there often?", etc.... and of course the surveillance cameras.

True Coin Toss, however " Helpmewin" said it best, sign the ticket and you have nothing to worry about, something l forgot to add. The "lost" ticket would obviously be unsigned and since possession is said to be 9/10th of the law- one would have no claim to that ticket.

Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4145 Posts
                    Posted: August 7, 2014, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

If you know the numbers you played, where and when you brought them then there is no need to buy them again if you lose the tickets, if they win you simply make your claim and present your evidence. 

The odds of losing a winning a ticket are about the same as buying a winning ticket so chances are buying them again is a waste of money.

You make a good point RJOH- but if you had a " good feeling" about those particular numbers that were on the ticket you lost, you would not hesitate to purchase them again... Far worse has been done.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                      Member #121745
                      January 16, 2012
                      4954 Posts
                      Posted: August 7, 2014, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

If you lose a ticket, it is not considered abandoned property legally. It is still your ticket. So I would have some problem with allowing someone to lie (in your scenario) and claim they bought it. As others mentioned, there are cameras, etc. so I think your ownership could be established without any long drawn out litigation.  Remember the lottery officials are the initial decision makers here. Once they determined your ownership, of course the other guy could file a suit but a half way decent attorney should be able to get that dismissed easily enough (the other side would have no proof to survive a motion to dismiss).

The only way I would consider ignoring the other ticket I lost would be if it was a world record jackpot in a non anonymous state. Having the media focus on 2 people vs one would be better.

If you live in an anonymous state, or can claim via a trust, I am not sure signing with your name is the best option.

J'aime La France.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #94283
                        July 17, 2010
                        2284 Posts
                        Posted: August 7, 2014, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

True Coin Toss, however " Helpmewin" said it best, sign the ticket and you have nothing to worry about, something l forgot to add. The "lost" ticket would obviously be unsigned and since possession is said to be 9/10th of the law- one would have no claim to that ticket.

Not true.

Possession is Nine Points of the Law Law & Legal Definition

Possession means holding property in one’s power or the exercise of dominion over property. By having possession one exercises control over something to the exclusion of all others.

The saying “possession is nine points of the law” is an old common law precept that means one who has physical control or possession over the property is clearly at an advantage or is in a better possession than a person who has no possession over the property. Even if a person is the rightful owner of the property but has no possession over it, the person who is in possession will be in a better position should the property ever be subject to challenge. This is especially true with adverse possession. However mere possession alone does not grant the possessor rights in the property superior to those of the actual owner. This adage “possession is nine tenths of the law” is not a law but a logical rule of force that has been recognized across ages.

In re Garza, 984 S.W.2d 344, 347 (Tex. App. 1998), Texas court has held that “Despite the old saying that "possession is 9/10ths of the law," mere possession and whatever right to the property that comes with mere possession does not grant the possessor rights in the property superior to those of the actual owner. J. CRIBBET, PRINCIPLES OF THE LAW OF PROPERTY 12-13 (1962); R. BOYER, SURVEY OF THE LAW OF PROPERTY 679-80 (1981). In other words, there is a hierarchy of ownership, as reflected both in the common law and § 1.07(35)(a) of the Penal Code. One in possession of chattel has a greater right to it than one who lacks both possession and title. Yet, one who has title maintains a greater right over the chattel than 1) one who simply has possession and 2) one who has neither possession nor claim of ownership. Id. Indeed, it can be said that the title owner has the greatest rights to the property. With that greatest right comes the power to negate the authority of those with lesser right. Similarly, those who stand in the lesser position lack the power to override or negate the rights of the title owner.”

Massachusetts
                          United States
                          Member #37433
                          April 14, 2006
                          2747 Posts
                          Posted: August 7, 2014, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

Not true.

Possession means holding property in one’s power or the exercise of dominion over property. By having possession one exercises control over something to the exclusion of all others.

The saying “possession is nine points of the law” is an old common law precept that means one who has physical control or possession over the property is clearly at an advantage or is in a better possession than a person who has no possession over the property. Even if a person is the rightful owner of the property but has no possession over it, the person who is in possession will be in a better position should the property ever be subject to challenge. This is especially true with adverse possession. However mere possession alone does not grant the possessor rights in the property superior to those of the actual owner. This adage “possession is nine tenths of the law” is not a law but a logical rule of force that has been recognized across ages.

In re Garza, 984 S.W.2d 344, 347 (Tex. App. 1998), Texas court has held that “Despite the old saying that "possession is 9/10ths of the law," mere possession and whatever right to the property that comes with mere possession does not grant the possessor rights in the property superior to those of the actual owner. J. CRIBBET, PRINCIPLES OF THE LAW OF PROPERTY 12-13 (1962); R. BOYER, SURVEY OF THE LAW OF PROPERTY 679-80 (1981). In other words, there is a hierarchy of ownership, as reflected both in the common law and § 1.07(35)(a) of the Penal Code. One in possession of chattel has a greater right to it than one who lacks both possession and title. Yet, one who has title maintains a greater right over the chattel than 1) one who simply has possession and 2) one who has neither possession nor claim of ownership. Id. Indeed, it can be said that the title owner has the greatest rights to the property. With that greatest right comes the power to negate the authority of those with lesser right. Similarly, those who stand in the lesser position lack the power to override or negate the rights of the title owner.”

I agree with you. I am no law expert but I will tell you about a related event that happened in MA. Some guy was buying and scratching lottery tickets and tossing the losers in the trash can. He must have missed a big winner because some guy who had made it his habit to jump into the trash can to check for tossed winners found it. He tried to claim it. The loser/unfortunate guy sued and the case dragged in the courts fo ever. I think it was settled out of court. You can read the story here http://www.lotterypost.com/news/123795

helpmewin  said it best. You gotta sign your ticket to secure it. In case you lose it the finder cannot claim it. They might decide to burn it out of spite

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4954 Posts
                            Posted: August 7, 2014, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you. I am no law expert but I will tell you about a related event that happened in MA. Some guy was buying and scratching lottery tickets and tossing the losers in the trash can. He must have missed a big winner because some guy who had made it his habit to jump into the trash can to check for tossed winners found it. He tried to claim it. The loser/unfortunate guy sued and the case dragged in the courts fo ever. I think it was settled out of court. You can read the story here http://www.lotterypost.com/news/123795

helpmewin  said it best. You gotta sign your ticket to secure it. In case you lose it the finder cannot claim it. They might decide to burn it out of spite

MM, that is a different fact pattern. The person in MA intended to toss it away and made a "mistake." I would find that same fact pattern up in the air also.

J'aime La France.

United States
                              Member #121745
                              January 16, 2012
                              4954 Posts
                              Posted: August 7, 2014, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

Not true.

Impressive job HoLeeKau! There is a rebuttable presumption that someone who possesses it may be the owner but it quickly dissolves (in our fact pattern) when the true owner presents their evidence.

I think the only area in the law (where possession may/can trump owners rights) is regarding adverse possession of property which I always thought was kind of a crazy area of law (hold over from the common law...it is common in Europe).

J'aime La France.