Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

For Fun- You purchase a PB ticket, but end up losing it, so you purchase another...

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Artist77.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
Massachusetts
United States
Member #37433
April 14, 2006
2747 Posts
Posted: August 7, 2014, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

MM, that is a different fact pattern. The person in MA intended to toss it away and made a "mistake." I would find that same fact pattern up in the air also.

I never heard of fact pattern concept before, I'll be sure to read up on it. Hopefully I'll never need to rely on its tenets as far as my lottery tickets are concerned...hmmm I need to get me that rubber stamp

That money's gone fo ever

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
    Member #121745
    January 16, 2012
    4792 Posts
    Posted: August 7, 2014, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

I never heard of fact pattern concept before, I'll be sure to read up on it. Hopefully I'll never need to rely on its tenets as far as my lottery tickets are concerned...hmmm I need to get me that rubber stamp

Fact pattern is a term used in the law. You justify a different outcome/decision based upon some fact being different/distinguishable from another case. It is how briefs are argued, etc.....so one can distinguish bad case law based on different facts.. that case holding was based upon different facts from my case your Honor so it should not apply here, etc.

J'aime La France.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
      Massachusetts
      United States
      Member #37433
      April 14, 2006
      2747 Posts
      Posted: August 7, 2014, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

Fact pattern is a term used in the law. You justify a different outcome/decision based upon some fact being different/distinguishable from another case. It is how briefs are argued, etc.....so one can distinguish bad case law based on different facts.. that case holding was based upon different facts from my case your Honor so it should not apply here, etc.

Cool stuff this is Thumbs Up

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19828 Posts
        Posted: August 7, 2014, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

You make a good point RJOH- but if you had a " good feeling" about those particular numbers that were on the ticket you lost, you would not hesitate to purchase them again... Far worse has been done.

I've had a good feeling about most of the numbers that I've ever played and only come close to winning a jackpot twice in twenty years.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #121745
          January 16, 2012
          4792 Posts
          Posted: August 7, 2014, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

Cool stuff this is Thumbs Up

lol I think you already knew that and are pulling my leg....lol.

J'aime La France.

Massachusetts
            United States
            Member #37433
            April 14, 2006
            2747 Posts
            Posted: August 7, 2014, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

lol I think you already knew that and are pulling my leg....lol.

LOL lol not really. I know from logic that if you mistakenly lose something, the law has got to have an avenue for you to claim it back or there'd be chaos in society. It is the legal jargon that I didn't have. Now I do Jester

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4108 Posts
              Posted: August 8, 2014, 11:11 am - IP Logged

If you lose a ticket, it is not considered abandoned property legally. It is still your ticket. So I would have some problem with allowing someone to lie (in your scenario) and claim they bought it. As others mentioned, there are cameras, etc. so I think your ownership could be established without any long drawn out litigation.  Remember the lottery officials are the initial decision makers here. Once they determined your ownership, of course the other guy could file a suit but a half way decent attorney should be able to get that dismissed easily enough (the other side would have no proof to survive a motion to dismiss).

The only way I would consider ignoring the other ticket I lost would be if it was a world record jackpot in a non anonymous state. Having the media focus on 2 people vs one would be better.

If you live in an anonymous state, or can claim via a trust, I am not sure signing with your name is the best option.

Now l did not know that Artist 77- Given the constant drumbeat of " Sign your lottery ticket", l was under the impression that if you did not sign your ticket and it was lost, the person who found it qualifies as the Owner.

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4792 Posts
                Posted: August 8, 2014, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

Noisegate, no finders keeps weepers losers. lol Losing a ticket is not intentional but discarding one is different.

But when you want to claim in a trust state, the rep. of the trust claims the money so I am 90% certain the trustee/attorney, etc. must have to sign the ticket since the check goes to the trust. I sure there is some verification...maybe the lottery officials speak with the ticket owner as well.

J'aime La France.