Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Funding your lottery habit

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Scratch$.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

How do you fund your lottery habit?

I set aside an amount from each paycheck [ 21 ]  [31.34%]
I only play if I have extra cash at the time [ 18 ]  [26.87%]
I play first... pay bills later [ 5 ]  [7.46%]
I play with spare change (i.e Money from coin jar) [ 5 ]  [7.46%]
I only play off of winnings [ 7 ]  [10.45%]
I use cash back from rewards programs to play [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I only play with lottery pools [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I play from selling items for cash [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Other [ 11 ]  [16.42%]
Total Valid Votes [ 67 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
Columbus, Ohio
United States
Member #128906
June 5, 2012
591 Posts
Posted: August 11, 2014, 7:54 am - IP Logged

I have a $34 weekly budget which covers 3 games.... I often win a few bucks back so my true cost is a lot less than 34.  Like some have said, it's not a habit but a business cost... I run it like a business.  In addition, I bring my lunch to work daily.

cbr$'s avatar - maren
    Cordova,Al.
    United States
    Member #104482
    January 15, 2011
    4873 Posts
    Posted: August 11, 2014, 11:04 am - IP Logged

I set a side money, to play in the lottery when I'm going on trips, the state that I'm going to be in the longs is where I bet the most. All other states I go through, I play a little. First winner , I play with that money, It the first winner is to large , [ticket has to be cash my lottery headquarter] , I have to continue to use stake money until second hit.On the return trip I buy tickets to watch here at home.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
      Massachusetts
      United States
      Member #37433
      April 14, 2006
      2747 Posts
      Posted: August 11, 2014, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

What is a budget? Smiley

Hello Mrs Tom Brady! Jester

That money's gone fo ever

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: August 11, 2014, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

I set aside a certain amount of money each month to play with.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #94283
          July 17, 2010
          2284 Posts
          Posted: August 11, 2014, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

I have an entertainment budget.  I don't go to movies (I borrow them from the library) or buy DVDs or books (ditto) no magazines or newspapers, I get all that online.  I consume alcohol occasionally but never at a bar, so I don't spend a lot of money on that indulgence.  I don't have pay tv, I borrow the series DVDs from the library instead -- they usually have them within a couple months after each season ends so it's not that bad.  So about 90% of my entertainment budget gets spent on lottery.

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
            nc
            United States
            Member #99520
            October 26, 2010
            375 Posts
            Posted: August 12, 2014, 4:20 am - IP Logged

Only a dollar or two here... Needs come first.  (Two dollars a week is the limit.). To easy to get the fever and spend everything!

MsNumberDreamer's avatar - lottery balls-cash.jpg
              North Carolina
              United States
              Member #145690
              August 11, 2013
              258 Posts
              Posted: August 12, 2014, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

What is a budget? Smiley

Wish I could say that! lol

To God be the glory... 

When you're winning you're being blessed by Him!

United States
                Member #153935
                March 29, 2014
                29 Posts
                Posted: August 12, 2014, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

Wish I could say that! lol

You wish you were that broke?

MsNumberDreamer's avatar - lottery balls-cash.jpg
                  North Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #145690
                  August 11, 2013
                  258 Posts
                  Posted: August 12, 2014, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

You wish you were that broke?

She said what is a budget?  I took that to mean that she has enough money that she doesn't have to live on a budget.  Maybe I read it wrong!  I'm saying it would be nice to have so much money that I'm like, "what is budget?; have no idea what that means" lol

To God be the glory... 

When you're winning you're being blessed by Him!

United States
                    Member #153935
                    March 29, 2014
                    29 Posts
                    Posted: August 13, 2014, 12:07 am - IP Logged

She said what is a budget?  I took that to mean that she has enough money that she doesn't have to live on a budget.  Maybe I read it wrong!  I'm saying it would be nice to have so much money that I'm like, "what is budget?; have no idea what that means" lol

oh, i took it exactly the opposite way. i wonder which team she is on?

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
                      Member #81314
                      October 16, 2009
                      18980 Posts
                      Posted: August 13, 2014, 12:08 am - IP Logged

If I have 50 cent, I"m playing pick 3 box.

If I have $1.00 I"m playing str/box.

Everyday, 2 times a day.

Good Luck.

The Struggle is real!

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7297 Posts
                        Posted: August 13, 2014, 12:08 am - IP Logged

To some here, the cost is justified due to the fact that they don't smoke or drink, and attribute the expense to a hobby of some sort. 

Do you find yourself NOT in that camp? And why?

Most people probably justify playing the high odds games because of the jackpot and when the jackpots are close to record highs, they probably justify going over budget to buy more tickets. I knew people who couldn't buy cigarettes because they spent that money on lottery tickets.

When I quit smoking it meant I had more money to spend, but I never budgeted it specifically to something else so I guess I'm not in that camp. Lots of systems require money management and really not for people who are on a lottery spending budget. For 7 weeks a few years ago, I bought $20 worth of Ohio Rolling Cash 5 tickets every drawing and the only budgeting was using the small wins to help subsidize the overall cost.

If one has to limit their lottery play because of budget, maybe they shouldn't be playing?

United States
                          Member #128790
                          June 2, 2012
                          5431 Posts
                          Posted: August 13, 2014, 12:20 am - IP Logged

Playing the lottery can become expensive, so how do you fund your habit?  Do you have creative ways to afford to play?

I only play when I'm in a job that pays enough to leave me a whole lot of "Play Money". I'm in a situation that does allow this, and I have money saved but there's a voice telling me not to spend too much on the lottery, 3 bucks a day MAX for me, and so this modification also applies to non-lottery related situations in my life. 

The world has finally gone nuts in my lifetime, so I'm cutting back on spending lots of money to buy things I don't really need, lottery related or not. 

Great thread BTW 

Thumbs Up

United States
                            Member #128790
                            June 2, 2012
                            5431 Posts
                            Posted: August 13, 2014, 12:25 am - IP Logged

Most people probably justify playing the high odds games because of the jackpot and when the jackpots are close to record highs, they probably justify going over budget to buy more tickets. I knew people who couldn't buy cigarettes because they spent that money on lottery tickets.

When I quit smoking it meant I had more money to spend, but I never budgeted it specifically to something else so I guess I'm not in that camp. Lots of systems require money management and really not for people who are on a lottery spending budget. For 7 weeks a few years ago, I bought $20 worth of Ohio Rolling Cash 5 tickets every drawing and the only budgeting was using the small wins to help subsidize the overall cost.

If one has to limit their lottery play because of budget, maybe they shouldn't be playing?

You make some great points, but I don't understand the moral of the story..

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                              Idaho
                              United States
                              Member #56506
                              November 21, 2007
                              6537 Posts
                              Posted: August 13, 2014, 1:03 am - IP Logged

"If one has to limit their lottery play because of budget, maybe they shouldn't be playing?"

Why though? You can be paying all your bills and putting some money into savings or whatever and still budget a little with money for playing the lottery.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."