Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Funding your lottery habit

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Scratch$.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

How do you fund your lottery habit?

I set aside an amount from each paycheck [ 21 ]  [31.34%]
I only play if I have extra cash at the time [ 18 ]  [26.87%]
I play first... pay bills later [ 5 ]  [7.46%]
I play with spare change (i.e Money from coin jar) [ 5 ]  [7.46%]
I only play off of winnings [ 7 ]  [10.45%]
I use cash back from rewards programs to play [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I only play with lottery pools [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I play from selling items for cash [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Other [ 11 ]  [16.42%]
Total Valid Votes [ 67 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Georgia
United States
Member #158146
August 13, 2014
76 Posts
Posted: August 13, 2014, 11:37 am - IP Logged

I have stretched winnings for almost an entire week. I'll win a few extra dollars that I can bank. If I spent $20, I might win $60. I bank the $40 and keep using the $20. If I keep just winning $20 back, I'll keep at it until I am either tired of playing for the same change or keep playing that $20 until I'm down to half of it lost.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7295 Posts
    Posted: August 13, 2014, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

"If one has to limit their lottery play because of budget, maybe they shouldn't be playing?"

Why though? You can be paying all your bills and putting some money into savings or whatever and still budget a little with money for playing the lottery.

Spending $6 a week playing MM and PB doesn't sound like much unless that is all they can afford and that's why I'm asking if they should be playing. In other words, if something unexpected comes up, does that mean you can't play the lottery until that bill is paid off? 

I only play if I have extra cash at the time

So far that is the number one answer in the pole and it doesn't look like those people are budgeting money for lottery play.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
      Texas
      United States
      Member #92330
      June 5, 2010
      887 Posts
      Posted: August 13, 2014, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

My lottery budget is $104 a year, so it's really not too much. I may buy a scratch-off every now and then or put another dollar or two into a large jackpot but mostly I stick with $1 each MegaMillions draw.

That money is mostly saved by not eating fast food as much. Instead of a $7 meal at Chick-fil-a I'll make something with what I have. That one decision right there gets me almost all my lotto money for the month.

Unkle Richie's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg
        roanoke, virginia
        United States
        Member #145502
        August 7, 2013
        301 Posts
        Posted: August 17, 2014, 12:08 am - IP Logged

Well I know some, hell maybe even all wont approve but any whoo you can't put the tooth paste back in the tube, now can you? Plus you can't argue with RESULTS. After Work I would drive ohhh i'd say maybe 13 miles probably 15 if im going str8 from work, to a disclosed location open my trunk and switch into my hobo clothing ( just a dingy dress shirt, some run down black Cole Hanns, and my ripped carpenter jeans) and post up at 1 of 4 very promising locations, it's like fishing if you have the correct bait (charisma, sad story, swallowed pride, mosquito repellant) you'll get a bait every time even if it's only 3 dollars per individual. Location Location Location!! Never made less than 62 dollars, and that's only a hours worth of finessing.. So you can imagine the take on a day that I have off and actually work all four locations wwoooooooohhhhhhhhh.. God Bless America, and our good fortunes lol po lil tink tink! You Just Really Must Admire That Which Makes Up The Human Nature. Sensitive, Caring, Nurturing, Loving Beings who by nature doesn't won't to see harm done to their fellow American... Michigan, Florida, GA, VA Lotteries, & NCEL Thanks You.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
          Massachusetts
          United States
          Member #37433
          April 14, 2006
          2747 Posts
          Posted: August 18, 2014, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Yesterday I decided to do something out of the ordinary. So I went and bought $20 worth of different $2 scratch cards and two of the $1 scratch cards. The scratch tickets won me $31. I didn't push my luck so I am slightly ahead this week. I will buy a second MM ticket and leave it at that.

That money's gone fo ever

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
            NY
            United States
            Member #121961
            January 21, 2012
            3157 Posts
            Posted: August 18, 2014, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

Well I know some, hell maybe even all wont approve but any whoo you can't put the tooth paste back in the tube, now can you? Plus you can't argue with RESULTS. After Work I would drive ohhh i'd say maybe 13 miles probably 15 if im going str8 from work, to a disclosed location open my trunk and switch into my hobo clothing ( just a dingy dress shirt, some run down black Cole Hanns, and my ripped carpenter jeans) and post up at 1 of 4 very promising locations, it's like fishing if you have the correct bait (charisma, sad story, swallowed pride, mosquito repellant) you'll get a bait every time even if it's only 3 dollars per individual. Location Location Location!! Never made less than 62 dollars, and that's only a hours worth of finessing.. So you can imagine the take on a day that I have off and actually work all four locations wwoooooooohhhhhhhhh.. God Bless America, and our good fortunes lol po lil tink tink! You Just Really Must Admire That Which Makes Up The Human Nature. Sensitive, Caring, Nurturing, Loving Beings who by nature doesn't won't to see harm done to their fellow American... Michigan, Florida, GA, VA Lotteries, & NCEL Thanks You.

.. So you can imagine the take on a day that I have off and actually work all four locations

I'm going to take a guess and say $63.

Atlanta, GA
              United States
              Member #156808
              June 30, 2014
              7 Posts
              Posted: August 18, 2014, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

I play using other people's money.  I seldom use my own money to play with.  I typically go in various dumpsters and pull out scratch-offs that people throw away.  If I find a winning ticket then I use the proceeds to play Cash-3 and Cash-4 lottery games.  I also play Fantasy 5 and Decades of Dollars too.  If I win, then I just keep playing using the winnings.  I set a certain budget each game and only play when I have a strong hunch that a certain number or group of numbers will fall.

Lottery is typically a loser's game so I just play sparingly hoping for the best.

Icebuster, 

Master Programmer, Designer, and Reverse Engineer

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7295 Posts
                Posted: August 18, 2014, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

"I typically go in various dumpsters and pull out scratch-offs that people throw away."

Welcome to LP! Nothing personal, but I won't be shaking your hand.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10344 Posts
                  Posted: August 19, 2014, 1:09 am - IP Logged

If I had to concern myself with 'funding' my lottery habit I think I'd play a lot less.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

texas
                    United States
                    Member #141051
                    April 3, 2013
                    18 Posts
                    Posted: August 19, 2014, 4:50 am - IP Logged

I would try to donate plasma for some extra $$ and then save them up for a while...until I decide to spend them on some smaller lotterys that I had in mind.

I am gonna focus on the small lotterys for now...

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                      Member #59354
                      March 13, 2008
                      3960 Posts
                      Posted: August 19, 2014, 7:16 am - IP Logged

Anyone on a tight budget could sell a little blood, I have heard that a person can make around

$100.00,  Blood banks are always in the market.  This way you can save lives while putting some

deserving kid through college.

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                        adelaide sa
                        Australia
                        Member #37136
                        April 11, 2006
                        3300 Posts
                        Posted: August 20, 2014, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

its part of my  monthly expenses. got the games on auto buy, and transfer cash ea 2 weeks to keep the  online balance funded. its just a matter of  actually hitting a winner

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Goteki54's avatar - Lottery-007.jpg
                          Baltimore, MD
                          United States
                          Member #143332
                          May 30, 2013
                          398 Posts
                          Posted: August 20, 2014, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

Gambling itself isn't what causes people to get into trouble, it's them not deciding what is an appropriate gaming budget is and having the discipline to stick to it. Lack of self control leads to self destruction.

Following the trends and patterns means following the money!Banana

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                            Happyland
                            United States
                            Member #146344
                            September 1, 2013
                            1129 Posts
                            Posted: August 20, 2014, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

I don't know why but it disturbs me that someone would sell a part or livelihood of their body just to play the lottery. Food, rent, family...okay, but gambling?

Reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode where people sell their memories for cash LOL

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                            P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

NEW YORK
                              United States
                              Member #90535
                              April 29, 2010
                              11974 Posts
                              Posted: August 21, 2014, 8:59 am - IP Logged

Gambling itself isn't what causes people to get into trouble, it's them not deciding what is an appropriate gaming budget is and having the discipline to stick to it. Lack of self control leads to self destruction.

Mega Millions jackpot is $180 Milllions for Friday 8/22/2014. Are you playing?