Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It's been almost a year of cutting my lottery spending and so glad I cut back

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 2 years ago by shyguitar.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: September 25, 2014, 7:32 am - IP Logged

Hi everone,

It's been almost a year of my spending way less on playing the lottery. When I first started playing in late 2010 I became obsessed with trying to win the lottery. I played too many scratch tickets and lost much more than I won. Started to realize that I could play the lottery forever and still never win a jackpot.  When the new scratch tickets come out I buy 2 tickets and that's it until another new set of tickets come out. It feels great to be able to walk into any store and not even look at the scratch tickets. What I do play is the powerball, with the powerplay about once a week buying one ticket when I play. I also play the 2 dollar Lucky for Life draw ticket that is only played in New England. I play that once or sometimes twice a week buying one ticket. I still have my dream just being more realistic about my spending and playing. When I think of the odds on winning a million dollars on a 5 dollar scratch ticket and there is a print out of 25 million tickets for just 5 winners of a million then the odds are pretty bad. Also if you take a lump sum it doesn't even start out as a million it's 650,000 before taxes are taken out so you are looking at around 400,000 after paying taxes. I started to think how hard it is to be at the right place and time to win on a scratch ticket since there are 7.000 retailers in my state. I usually wait till the end of the month to check my draw tickets and don't feel bad when I lose because I can afford the weekly 5 or 7 dollars I spend playing each week.

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
    Columbus, Ohio
    United States
    Member #128906
    June 5, 2012
    591 Posts
    Posted: September 25, 2014, 9:14 am - IP Logged

Nice, now put the money you're saving in the market. I've been on a stock buying spree.

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
      nc
      United States
      Member #99520
      October 26, 2010
      375 Posts
      Posted: September 25, 2014, 10:04 am - IP Logged

Good for you!  My budget is two dollars a week.  Total of $104 a year.... Had to o thus for self control.  Too easy to be enticed to spend everything you have to get nothing in return.... Still get to enjoy the fun of predicting what numbers are drawn.  Can still dream....

United States
        Member #106134
        February 13, 2011
        806 Posts
        Posted: September 25, 2014, 10:16 am - IP Logged

Yeah I'll be cutting back too, it's hopeless unless you live in California.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3854 Posts
          Posted: September 25, 2014, 10:37 am - IP Logged

Shyguiter.

Yea, awhile back I quit the MM

Then I cut back on the PB to only when the JP got big, still doing that w/ the multi-plier

Then they recently changed the JC5 game matrix, I played everyday for years, same #set, now I play only 1 QP when the JP gets over 250G

and I happen to be at a  store that sells tix.

and I still play my state's pick 6 game $1 a draw twice a week.

So overall I gone from $19 a week to somewhere between $2 and $7 a week.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
            Member #145267
            August 1, 2013
            1492 Posts
            Posted: September 25, 2014, 10:37 am - IP Logged

Yes, I have cut back also.  The odds suck, the same places win, not very many people win and I still feel that it is not a truly random game.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
              Happy California
              United States
              Member #157856
              August 2, 2014
              1506 Posts
              Posted: September 25, 2014, 10:56 am - IP Logged

I read in one of Todd's posts, "It is all about timing and knowing when to quit".  I paraphrased it and he said it in 2005 or2007.US Flag

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                Massachusetts
                United States
                Member #37433
                April 14, 2006
                2747 Posts
                Posted: September 25, 2014, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

I think it's great that you were able to cut down on your gambling. More power to you!

That money's gone fo ever

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                  u$a
                  United States
                  Member #106665
                  February 22, 2011
                  19740 Posts
                  Posted: September 25, 2014, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Good for you less people that play makes it better odds for those that doHurray!

Let it Snow Snowman

Miami, Florida
                    United States
                    Member #111795
                    June 2, 2011
                    581 Posts
                    Posted: September 25, 2014, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

I'm looking forward to sharing in two more days that I've gone 30 days without gambling! I'm a gambling addict and played scratchoffs every day for 15 years. I hit rock bottom. Got tired of doing that to myself. Today is day 28, and I have money in the bank, got some new clothes, went out on the weekends, and have food in the fridge. It's embarrassing to admit that I didn't have those before. But I'm a gambling addict and it was out of control. No more. No more losing $200 in a day and feeling that guilt. It's just a constant cycle. Some people can handle it, some can't. Some know they're addicted, some haven't admitted it yet. I tried to quit a thousand times. But today is 28 days, and I feel better than ever.

United States
                      Member #145267
                      August 1, 2013
                      1492 Posts
                      Posted: September 25, 2014, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

Good for oldschoolhits,  if that makes you feel good, than keep it up.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                        Happyland
                        United States
                        Member #146344
                        September 1, 2013
                        1129 Posts
                        Posted: September 25, 2014, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

I'm looking forward to sharing in two more days that I've gone 30 days without gambling! I'm a gambling addict and played scratchoffs every day for 15 years. I hit rock bottom. Got tired of doing that to myself. Today is day 28, and I have money in the bank, got some new clothes, went out on the weekends, and have food in the fridge. It's embarrassing to admit that I didn't have those before. But I'm a gambling addict and it was out of control. No more. No more losing $200 in a day and feeling that guilt. It's just a constant cycle. Some people can handle it, some can't. Some know they're addicted, some haven't admitted it yet. I tried to quit a thousand times. But today is 28 days, and I feel better than ever.

I'm glad to see someone post something like this, because there are many people who refuse to admit it.

I came close to getting addicting to the lottery but then I opened my eyes and started tracking just how much I was throwing away....after a year of this I discovered just how much it was and immediately all the things I could've 'better' spent the funds on came to my mind.

Lotteries aren't charity and they don't care if you go bankrupt giving them money; hard truth, but still truth.

These days I do still play but it is very rare, perhaps one ticket a month and only if the odds are within my criteria. Otherwise I'd rather put that money towards a payoff I'll actually see, i.e. buying something of value or doing things that can further my life. You do not need to win the lottery to be happy and have a good life.

Thank you for sharing your story and keep it up. The longer you go the easier it becomes to keep going Thumbs Up

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                          Columbus, Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #128906
                          June 5, 2012
                          591 Posts
                          Posted: September 25, 2014, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

Wow, I had no idea... stay strong man

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #56506
                            November 21, 2007
                            6537 Posts
                            Posted: September 25, 2014, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

That's great news, OldSchoolHits! I wish you continued success.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
                              Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #35086
                              March 12, 2006
                              10374 Posts
                              Posted: September 26, 2014, 12:21 am - IP Logged

That's great news, OldSchoolHits! I wish you continued success.

I Agree!