Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 8:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It's been almost a year of cutting my lottery spending and so glad I cut back

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 2 years ago by shyguitar.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
Wisconsin
United States
Member #104962
January 23, 2011
1075 Posts
Posted: September 28, 2014, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

Nice, now put the money you're saving in the market. I've been on a stock buying spree.

I would skip the stocks, it is ALSO good way to lose money. 

Edit: word added due to someone taking comment out of context *face palm*

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1131 Posts
    Posted: September 28, 2014, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

I would skip the stocks, it is ALSO good way to lose money. 

Edit: word added due to someone taking comment out of context *face palm*

And the lottery is not?

Green laugh

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #104962
      January 23, 2011
      1075 Posts
      Posted: September 28, 2014, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

And the lottery is not?

Green laugh

Wow....You really don't think much at allGreen laugh

Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #104962
        January 23, 2011
        1075 Posts
        Posted: September 28, 2014, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

Hi everone,

It's been almost a year of my spending way less on playing the lottery. When I first started playing in late 2010 I became obsessed with trying to win the lottery. I played too many scratch tickets and lost much more than I won. Started to realize that I could play the lottery forever and still never win a jackpot.  When the new scratch tickets come out I buy 2 tickets and that's it until another new set of tickets come out. It feels great to be able to walk into any store and not even look at the scratch tickets. What I do play is the powerball, with the powerplay about once a week buying one ticket when I play. I also play the 2 dollar Lucky for Life draw ticket that is only played in New England. I play that once or sometimes twice a week buying one ticket. I still have my dream just being more realistic about my spending and playing. When I think of the odds on winning a million dollars on a 5 dollar scratch ticket and there is a print out of 25 million tickets for just 5 winners of a million then the odds are pretty bad. Also if you take a lump sum it doesn't even start out as a million it's 650,000 before taxes are taken out so you are looking at around 400,000 after paying taxes. I started to think how hard it is to be at the right place and time to win on a scratch ticket since there are 7.000 retailers in my state. I usually wait till the end of the month to check my draw tickets and don't feel bad when I lose because I can afford the weekly 5 or 7 dollars I spend playing each week.

Nice job.Thumbs Up

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
          u$a
          United States
          Member #106665
          February 22, 2011
          19964 Posts
          Posted: September 29, 2014, 8:26 am - IP Logged

Hi helpmewin,

Unfortunately having one person like myself playng far less doesn't really change the odds for you. If you think it makes a difference though, then all the best to you.

"You can't Win if you don't play" so i guess them would be the oddsSmash

Let it Snow Snowman

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
            u$a
            United States
            Member #106665
            February 22, 2011
            19964 Posts
            Posted: September 29, 2014, 8:27 am - IP Logged

REALLY?!

Are we talking raffle or lottery?

I thought you said you could read Yawn

Let it Snow Snowman

Theox-'s avatar - DAylUYw

United States
              Member #148698
              November 9, 2013
              96 Posts
              Posted: September 29, 2014, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

I'm starting to cut down on my lottery spending as well. Over the past couple of months my lottery budget was quickly starting to creep up. It was primarily because of scratch off tickets. 

The odds of winning scratcher top prizes is slightly better than winning a million dollars with Powerball. The only problem is that you have to be in the right store at the right time playing the right game. Knowing my luck, all the winning tickets are probably on the opposite side of town from me at best and on the opposite end of the state at worst. 

My foolish attempt to mitigate the location issue was to buy a few $5 dollar tickets a day on non PB and MM draw days. As you can imagine that was adding up very fast. So I've decided to try switching to another game; pick 5. The odds for higher tier prizes are better than scratchers and it doesn't matter where I buy my one $1 ticket at. 

I know know that I probably won't win big playing the lottery. But I am happier knowing that I won't go broke or crazy trying to win.

United States
                Member #122468
                February 1, 2012
                530 Posts
                Posted: September 30, 2014, 5:10 am - IP Logged

Nice job.Thumbs Up

Hi pickone4me,

Thanks.

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: September 30, 2014, 5:21 am - IP Logged

I'm starting to cut down on my lottery spending as well. Over the past couple of months my lottery budget was quickly starting to creep up. It was primarily because of scratch off tickets. 

The odds of winning scratcher top prizes is slightly better than winning a million dollars with Powerball. The only problem is that you have to be in the right store at the right time playing the right game. Knowing my luck, all the winning tickets are probably on the opposite side of town from me at best and on the opposite end of the state at worst. 

My foolish attempt to mitigate the location issue was to buy a few $5 dollar tickets a day on non PB and MM draw days. As you can imagine that was adding up very fast. So I've decided to try switching to another game; pick 5. The odds for higher tier prizes are better than scratchers and it doesn't matter where I buy my one $1 ticket at. 

I know know that I probably won't win big playing the lottery. But I am happier knowing that I won't go broke or crazy trying to win.

Hi Theox,

Glad to hear you are also cutting back on your lottery spending. We both agree even though the odds are better with scratch tix over the PB and MM it's just too hard being at the right place at the right time. You're right about how quickly the spending can add up when you say you were buying a few 5 dollar scratch tickets a day. Think you are smart about switching to the pick 5 game. My state doesn't offer that game. As I stated in my original post it's been great saving money by spendng just the little amount I now spend weekly.  Good luck to you.

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
                    NEW YORK
                    United States
                    Member #90535
                    April 29, 2010
                    12098 Posts
                    Posted: October 1, 2014, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Hi everone,

It's been almost a year of my spending way less on playing the lottery. When I first started playing in late 2010 I became obsessed with trying to win the lottery. I played too many scratch tickets and lost much more than I won. Started to realize that I could play the lottery forever and still never win a jackpot.  When the new scratch tickets come out I buy 2 tickets and that's it until another new set of tickets come out. It feels great to be able to walk into any store and not even look at the scratch tickets. What I do play is the powerball, with the powerplay about once a week buying one ticket when I play. I also play the 2 dollar Lucky for Life draw ticket that is only played in New England. I play that once or sometimes twice a week buying one ticket. I still have my dream just being more realistic about my spending and playing. When I think of the odds on winning a million dollars on a 5 dollar scratch ticket and there is a print out of 25 million tickets for just 5 winners of a million then the odds are pretty bad. Also if you take a lump sum it doesn't even start out as a million it's 650,000 before taxes are taken out so you are looking at around 400,000 after paying taxes. I started to think how hard it is to be at the right place and time to win on a scratch ticket since there are 7.000 retailers in my state. I usually wait till the end of the month to check my draw tickets and don't feel bad when I lose because I can afford the weekly 5 or 7 dollars I spend playing each week.

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY - IT IS OKAY TO DREAM! 

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                      Member #9517
                      December 10, 2004
                      1279 Posts
                      Posted: October 3, 2014, 10:33 am - IP Logged

Is this Lottery Players Anonymous? LOL

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
                        NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #90535
                        April 29, 2010
                        12098 Posts
                        Posted: October 3, 2014, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

Is this Lottery Players Anonymous? LOL

It is a place where lazy people like you want to win Millions without working for it.LOL

California
                          United States
                          Member #141204
                          April 7, 2013
                          280 Posts
                          Posted: October 3, 2014, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

It is a place where lazy people like you want to win Millions without working for it.LOL

What are you talking about? It's not like lottery tickets are given out for free. People have to buy tickets with money they earned then they have to beat ridiculous odds. If you bought a ticket and beat 259 million to 1 odds in order to win a jackpot, you earned the winnings in my book.

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                            Columbus, Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #128906
                            June 5, 2012
                            597 Posts
                            Posted: October 4, 2014, 6:31 am - IP Logged

I just stopped playing MM, its been 2 weeks so far... right now I just play PB and RC (state game)  I reduced my budget from $34 to just $19 a week.

United States
                              Member #122468
                              February 1, 2012
                              530 Posts
                              Posted: October 4, 2014, 8:14 am - IP Logged

I just stopped playing MM, its been 2 weeks so far... right now I just play PB and RC (state game)  I reduced my budget from $34 to just $19 a week.

Hi IPlayWeekly,

That's great that you are cutting out playing MM and just focusing on PB and your state game. That's a 15 dollar weekly savings for you and every bit saved can make a difference. It seemes the longer I continue to stay on course for my lottery budget the better I feel. The way you and I are playing still keeps us in the game should a miracle occur and we win.  Good luck to staying on budget.