Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How soon would you come forward to claim your jackpot winnings: should you win?

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 2 years ago by ReppinNC.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4102 Posts
Posted: September 27, 2014, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

Recent jackpot winners have come forward within hours or days- what would be your preference? Would you get all your ducks in a row with Attorneys and the like or just decide " since l won l will come forward, get it over with and then fade to black".. so to speak?

** Those persons who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw..

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
    Member #158848
    September 5, 2014
    294 Posts
    Posted: September 27, 2014, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't wait too long - remember Murphy's Law. It wouldn't be wise to leave a winning ticket in the house for very long - some punk might break in looking for drug money and find it. If I was going to wait more than a week to claim it, I'd probably rent a safety deposit box at my bank ASAP.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

Bay Area, California
      United States
      Member #154225
      April 8, 2014
      49 Posts
      Posted: September 27, 2014, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

I would claim as soon as possible after finding legal representation and setting up a trust. It is better to claim early so the media circus will die down quickly. Just give really boring explanations for what you will do with the money and people will soon forget you and move on to the next big winner.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10344 Posts
        Posted: September 27, 2014, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

Ideally not until another winner came forward to claim a bigger jackpot.

Wink

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4102 Posts
          Posted: September 27, 2014, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

Ideally not until another winner came forward to claim a bigger jackpot.

Wink

I Agree!.. camouflage your past win beneath the latest win huh... Brilliant! While the general public is fixated on this present win, you slyly collect your cheque and go about your business?

Genius!!!

United States
            Member #158848
            September 5, 2014
            294 Posts
            Posted: September 27, 2014, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

I would claim as soon as possible after finding legal representation and setting up a trust. It is better to claim early so the media circus will die down quickly. Just give really boring explanations for what you will do with the money and people will soon forget you and move on to the next big winner.

Give the lottery commission only the absolute minimum amount of personal information required to claim the money. Don't do any interviews or appear at an award ceremony. Have the lottery transfer the money directly to your bank account. Don't talk to the media at all. No loose lips around your lawyer either, he/she only gets the info required by law to set up the trust.

United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10344 Posts
              Posted: September 27, 2014, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

noise-gate,

Thanks for the compliment, but someone here at LP quite a while ago had the idea of hitting a jackpot when it went back down to the start point and the person who hit it before that hadn't came forward yet, I just tweaked it a little.

Scratch$,

Your plan would only work in the four anonymous states. Also your bank may not want an influx of tens of millions or more cash on hand. , some of the rules change and bank examiners start camping out at the bank then.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                Member #158848
                September 5, 2014
                294 Posts
                Posted: September 27, 2014, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

noise-gate,

Thanks for the compliment, but someone here at LP quite a while ago had the idea of hitting a jackpot when it went back down to the start point and the person who hit it before that hadn't came forward yet, I just tweaked it a little.

Scratch$,

Your plan would only work in the four anonymous states. Also your bank may not want an influx of tens of millions or more cash on hand. , some of the rules change and bank examiners start camping out at the bank then.

I disagree.

My plan doesn't require anonymity, nor is it an option in NC. Let them release my name, city and amount won - I don't care. I won't give any interviews, won't appear at any award ceremony, won't say one word to the media, and won't pose for any photos.

I also assure you the large national bank I have an account with would be happy to take my money - one or two hundred mill is chump change to them.

United States
                  Member #159483
                  September 27, 2014
                  65 Posts
                  Posted: September 28, 2014, 10:24 am - IP Logged

Give the lottery commission only the absolute minimum amount of personal information required to claim the money. Don't do any interviews or appear at an award ceremony. Have the lottery transfer the money directly to your bank account. Don't talk to the media at all. No loose lips around your lawyer either, he/she only gets the info required by law to set up the trust.

I agree. I would come forward within a week after getting my representation figured out. I wouldn't say anything, take a picture, etc.

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                    Republic of Texas
                    United States
                    Member #57557
                    January 9, 2008
                    1095 Posts
                    Posted: September 28, 2014, 10:54 am - IP Logged

However long it takes to nest several trusts, LLCs, and FLPs together is how long it will take me to claim when I win. One month? Two months? Six weeks?

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10344 Posts
                      Posted: September 28, 2014, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

Scratch$,

" Let them release my name, city and amount won -"

Do you really think you'd be insulated after that information went out?

Lep

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
                        nc
                        United States
                        Member #99520
                        October 26, 2010
                        375 Posts
                        Posted: September 28, 2014, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

As long as the photo from the store of purchase is not released, claiming at two months is my plan.  Allowing time to do all the legal work, investment planning, packing the house and moving it into storage.  Live in a bad part of town, will leave the house for good, the moment I leave for the three hour drive to Raleigh or the two hour drive to Columbia to claim it.  Plan is to arrive 30 minutes before closing so that they don't have time to call a news conference, or agree to do it the next day but suddenly find my self 10 states away to contemplate in peace my future plans.  My realtor and my attorney handling the purchase of my future farm/estate through a trust!

plus the yard sale of all yard sales... Furniture, appliances etc.....  Will let you all know when it will be held!

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                          Texas Panhandle
                          United States
                          Member #136843
                          December 20, 2012
                          1258 Posts
                          Posted: September 28, 2014, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

However long it takes to nest several trusts, LLCs, and FLPs together is how long it will take me to claim when I win. One month? Two months? Six weeks?

I Agree!

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10344 Posts
                            Posted: September 28, 2014, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

Just as an FYI for this discussion, at least two jackpot winners on TLCML said they begged the post office to stop brining them sacks and sacks of mail and the post office told them they have to deliver it if they know where they are.

Those winners were in Florida and New Mexico. The letters were addressed to
                            Lottery Winner Florida
                            or
                            New Mexico.
                            _______________________________________________________

I don't know about other states but in Illinois if you win your picture, first name, and amount is going to appear on all the lottery monitors in the state where tickets are sold. When Northstar took over they included the person's last name also but people contacted them and said don't be responsible for another Abraham Shakespeare.

Lep

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                              Lavender Rocket

United States
                              Member #124616
                              March 16, 2012
                              2642 Posts
                              Posted: September 28, 2014, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

Just as soon as my attorneys tell me that the blind trusts are in place.