Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's wrong with LP - technical problems ??

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Blackie.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
taloulazmoney's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg
Adirondack foothills, NY
United States
Member #63111
July 19, 2008
1 Posts
Posted: September 29, 2014, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

I have been having problems as well getting onto the site.  Yahoo states..." forbidden site.  This link is not authorized by Yahoo.  If you would like to continue to this links intended destination use at your own risks.  click here." I click and get to Lottery Post home page.

The past is Contrasted with and defined by the present and the future.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
    Member #52345
    May 21, 2007
    2659 Posts
    Posted: September 29, 2014, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

I suggest bypassing the Heisenberg Compensator and deviating the route from panel C, row 2 in the capacitor panel. This should enable the sub-function modulator to perform faster, thus aiding the sequencing compiler. Moreover, additional adjustments with the Terminal balance frequency, Helio-optimization processor in panel F can also speed the system buffer component which is directly responsible for the coil shifter.

If that doesn't work, it must be the Enterovirus that's going around.

Skeptical now once more in english please  ??

addai1516's avatar - lib
      Newyork City NY / westland michigan
      United States
      Member #93153
      June 23, 2010
      4087 Posts
      Posted: September 29, 2014, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

i had trouble logging in with my android phone.. Hard time also with computer at the library but logged in finally ..

< God bless all  ,family, love, happiness > 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23273 Posts
        Posted: September 29, 2014, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

I have now been battling massive performance problems on the LP server for over 24 hours now.  The problems started Sunday evening around 8:00 pm Eastern Time.  If I haven't returned your message, it's because I have not had the time, so I am sorry about that.

Anyway, time for an update:

I spent most of the last 24 hours trying to determine root cause(s) of the performance problems Lottery Post has been experiencing.  I have tapped every resource and bit of knowledge I could in order to figure this out, but unfortunately I have found no definitive answer.  My best guess is that the server has developed some underlying disk issues that is causing disk thrashing on a large scale.

So, with the final assumption that underlying disk problems are the cause, I have taken the rather drastic step of moving everything to a new server.  There are so many pieces to Lottery Post that moving to a totally new machine is kind of a last resort for me, because of the risk that something will fall though the cracks and get forgotten -- and eventually stop working.  It is a huge undertaking, and doing it on a live production web site the size of Lottery Post is scary.

The good news is that the migration to the new server is complete to the point that everything you're looking at right now is coming from the new server.  It doesn't mean that I am finished, by any means, but it does mean that you should be having some much better performance for everything on the site from this point forward.

There may be some intermittent outages as necessary to change configuration and other miscellaneous tasks.  There are pieces, such as the Chat server, that I have not even looked at yet, let alone migrated to the new server.  Fortunately I have until Sunday to accomplish that one.

Importantly, if you notice something missing or not working, please let me know immediately.  I('m just one person trying to remember everything, so undoubtedly there will be various things that I have overlooked.

I apologize for the problems since Sunday evening, but hopefully we have turned the corner.  In hindsight these things normally have silver linings.  For example, I have had it on my to-do list to move to a new server configuration for a long time now.  It would be nice to do it gradually and without disruption to the site, but sometimes it takes this kind of massive nudge to make it happen.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
          Member #81314
          October 16, 2009
          18997 Posts
          Posted: September 29, 2014, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

Green laugh thanks for the chuckle thar, MZ Dufflebaglady

Good luck Todd !!  hope U win the battle of the bogg

lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooo@ hearsetrax

Seriously , I did think it had something to with AOL upgrade, lol.

But, every other site I went to, worked just fine, except, Lotterypost.

So, I figured, it must be Lotterypost, but, I didn't see a "usual link, "the site will be down for a few hours",  etc.

Sometimes, upgrading, does cause issues @ hearsetrax.

Thanks ToddHyper

The Struggle is real!

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
            Winning makes me smile.
            bel air maryland
            United States
            Member #90251
            April 24, 2010
            4878 Posts
            Posted: September 29, 2014, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the update Todd. Just for future reference, if any time we should notice a problem, would a PM to you or a forum post be the best way to notify you?

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
              Harbinger
              D.C./MD.
              United States
              Member #44103
              July 30, 2006
              5583 Posts
              Posted: September 29, 2014, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

When I first saw the symptom,  I was thinking fundamental internal hardware immediately,  not connectivity,  fetches were slow,  usually indicating disk caching or channel piping issues.   Performance is definitely back, take a break if you can.  Thanks for the all your work,  you are a super duper one man IT dept.

Thumbs Up

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23273 Posts
                Posted: September 29, 2014, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the update Todd. Just for future reference, if any time we should notice a problem, would a PM to you or a forum post be the best way to notify you?

It's probably best to shoot me a PM, as long as the site is working and you're able.  If the site's not working you can use the Lottery Post Facebook page to send me a private message, or feel free to send me an e-mail directly.  (Just reply to any e-mail that Lottery Post has sent you in the past, and it will make its way to me.)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                  Winning makes me smile.
                  bel air maryland
                  United States
                  Member #90251
                  April 24, 2010
                  4878 Posts
                  Posted: September 29, 2014, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

It's probably best to shoot me a PM, as long as the site is working and you're able.  If the site's not working you can use the Lottery Post Facebook page to send me a private message, or feel free to send me an e-mail directly.  (Just reply to any e-mail that Lottery Post has sent you in the past, and it will make its way to me.)

Ok. Thanks.  Every time I tried to click on something I got a  "this page cannot be displayed" message. I was just wondering because, if a lot of people were having a problem every one may think somebody else probably said something, or somebody must know about it. Which may not be the case.

Get some Bed I'm sure you need it.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                    Dallas, Texas
                    United States
                    Member #4549
                    May 2, 2004
                    1720 Posts
                    Posted: September 29, 2014, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

I have now been battling massive performance problems on the LP server for over 24 hours now.  The problems started Sunday evening around 8:00 pm Eastern Time.  If I haven't returned your message, it's because I have not had the time, so I am sorry about that.

I spent most of the last 24 hours trying to determine root cause(s) of the performance problems Lottery Post has been experiencing.  I have tapped every resource and bit of knowledge I could in order to figure this out, but unfortunately I have found no definitive answer.  My best guess is that the server has developed some underlying disk issues that is causing disk thrashing on a large scale.

So, with the final assumption that underlying disk problems are the cause, I have taken the rather drastic step of moving everything to a new server.  There are so many pieces to Lottery Post that moving to a totally new machine is kind of a last resort for me, because of the risk that something will fall though the cracks and get forgotten -- and eventually stop working.  It is a huge undertaking, and doing it on a live production web site the size of Lottery Post is scary.

The good news is that the migration to the new server is complete to the point that everything you're looking at right now is coming from the new server.  It doesn't mean that I am finished, by any means, but it does mean that you should be having some much better performance for everything on the site from this point forward.

There may be some intermittent outages as necessary to change configuration and other miscellaneous tasks.  There are pieces, such as the Chat server, that I have not even looked at yet, let alone migrated to the new server.  Fortunately I have until Sunday to accomplish that one.

Importantly, if you notice something missing or not working, please let me know immediately.  I('m just one person trying to remember everything, so undoubtedly there will be various things that I have overlooked.

I apologize for the problems since Sunday evening, but hopefully we have turned the corner.  In hindsight these things normally have silver linings.  For example, I have had it on my to-do list to move to a new server configuration for a long time now.  It would be nice to do it gradually and without disruption to the site, but sometimes it takes this kind of massive nudge to make it happen.

Great Work!

GET SOME REST!!

G

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

lakerben's avatar - spherewall
                      New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #86099
                      January 29, 2010
                      11119 Posts
                      Posted: September 29, 2014, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

I figured someting was wrong because i could log onto other sites with no problem.

I'm not a network guru but Would it help if everyone logged off for 8 hours or more?

Do you have a router trouble shooting flowchart? Did all the loop back tests work?

How about them cowboys!

US Flag

Jorli D's avatar - nw saucyelf2.jpg
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #2448
                        October 4, 2003
                        25905 Posts
                        Posted: September 29, 2014, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

Thank you Todd, for the update. I am appreciative your hard work on this site. 

United States
                          Member #128790
                          June 2, 2012
                          5431 Posts
                          Posted: September 29, 2014, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

Skeptical now once more in english please  ??

We're *****d !

Green laugh                          Cheers

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
                            NYC
                            United States
                            Member #117984
                            October 19, 2011
                            1843 Posts
                            Posted: September 29, 2014, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd for your efforts. I can proudly say that LP is working swiftly again for me, even on a 3G reception. 

Get some rest and drink some dunkin donuts coffe. Stretch too. This will help you focus. :)

United States
                              Member #128790
                              June 2, 2012
                              5431 Posts
                              Posted: September 29, 2014, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

I haven't written on this subject in the past few days because I felt It would get written off, but my experiences in the past few days other than the LP Site has proven the same lag. At first I thought it was a coincidence, but now I firmly believe those various experiences has yielded the same outcome which is, it's a web problem. Someone or some group of hackers figured how to infiltrate the net by confusing it..