Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's wrong with LP - technical problems ??

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Blackie.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
lakerben's avatar - spherewall
New Mexico
United States
Member #86099
January 29, 2010
11119 Posts
Posted: September 30, 2014, 9:19 am - IP Logged

Actually, although I personally Chrome as my daily browser, I have found IE 11 to be excellent as well.

If the problem continues I would check your power source.  I don't know if you have your servers on a ups power source or straight to a outlet. I would have a electrician check the panel and breakers.  Maybe a bad breaker.

How about them cowboys!

US Flag

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
    NY State
    United States
    Member #92609
    June 10, 2010
    3702 Posts
    Posted: September 30, 2014, 11:16 am - IP Logged

I have now been battling massive performance problems on the LP server for over 24 hours now.  The problems started Sunday evening around 8:00 pm Eastern Time.  If I haven't returned your message, it's because I have not had the time, so I am sorry about that.

Anyway, time for an update:

I spent most of the last 24 hours trying to determine root cause(s) of the performance problems Lottery Post has been experiencing.  I have tapped every resource and bit of knowledge I could in order to figure this out, but unfortunately I have found no definitive answer.  My best guess is that the server has developed some underlying disk issues that is causing disk thrashing on a large scale.

So, with the final assumption that underlying disk problems are the cause, I have taken the rather drastic step of moving everything to a new server.  There are so many pieces to Lottery Post that moving to a totally new machine is kind of a last resort for me, because of the risk that something will fall though the cracks and get forgotten -- and eventually stop working.  It is a huge undertaking, and doing it on a live production web site the size of Lottery Post is scary.

The good news is that the migration to the new server is complete to the point that everything you're looking at right now is coming from the new server.  It doesn't mean that I am finished, by any means, but it does mean that you should be having some much better performance for everything on the site from this point forward.

There may be some intermittent outages as necessary to change configuration and other miscellaneous tasks.  There are pieces, such as the Chat server, that I have not even looked at yet, let alone migrated to the new server.  Fortunately I have until Sunday to accomplish that one.

Importantly, if you notice something missing or not working, please let me know immediately.  I('m just one person trying to remember everything, so undoubtedly there will be various things that I have overlooked.

I apologize for the problems since Sunday evening, but hopefully we have turned the corner.  In hindsight these things normally have silver linings.  For example, I have had it on my to-do list to move to a new server configuration for a long time now.  It would be nice to do it gradually and without disruption to the site, but sometimes it takes this kind of massive nudge to make it happen.

Just curious as to whether or not you create tape back-ups of the application software?

I would think if you do create tape back-ups, loading the most recent back-ups to a new server would go a long way towards solving the issue of something falling through the cracks!

I also appreciate the fact that it's lot easier said than done, and that migrating to a new server isn't something that happens quickly.  Good Luck!

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Skibunnylk's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
      Member #157701
      July 28, 2014
      137 Posts
      Posted: September 30, 2014, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

I suggest bypassing the Heisenberg Compensator and deviating the route from panel C, row 2 in the capacitor panel. This should enable the sub-function modulator to perform faster, thus aiding the sequencing compiler. Moreover, additional adjustments with the Terminal balance frequency, Helio-optimization processor in panel F can also speed the system buffer component which is directly responsible for the coil shifter.

If that doesn't work, it must be the Enterovirus that's going around.

Todd is trying his best at resolving the situation and you find it funny to resort to childish behaviors?

United States
        Member #128790
        June 2, 2012
        5431 Posts
        Posted: September 30, 2014, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

Todd is trying his best at resolving the situation and you find it funny to resort to childish behaviors?

I bet you're a barrel of laughs at a party. Crazy

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23267 Posts
          Posted: September 30, 2014, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

Just a quick update to let everyone know that I have finished migrating the chat feature to the new server, so the chat should work on-schedule on Sunday evening.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

aux8b's avatar - home

United States
            Member #57793
            January 19, 2008
            2332 Posts
            Posted: September 30, 2014, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

Thumbs Up  Thank You Todd .

DEE88's avatar - animal doggy2.jpg
              PA
              United States
              Member #69849
              January 18, 2009
              14865 Posts
              Posted: September 30, 2014, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

2079    1085   8841    7227   3305   4651

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
                Norfolk , Va
                United States
                Member #4541
                May 2, 2004
                25097 Posts
                Posted: September 30, 2014, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd for the hard work in getting this back !!!

Good Luck,

Blackie.