Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is there such a system or software that works with sums? Help! :-)

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 2 years ago by garyo1954.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
jimjwright's avatar - Yellow 3.png
Park City, UT
United States
Member #69864
January 18, 2009
993 Posts
Posted: November 7, 2014, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

This is probably what RJOH was referring to.

The following link can be used to generate all the combinations for a particular game matrix but it will not filter on sum.

LP Combination Generator

You might have to be platinum member to access link

Jimmy

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
    Ontario
    Canada
    Member #109243
    April 9, 2011
    31437 Posts
    Posted: November 7, 2014, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

The following link can be used to generate all the combinations for a particular game matrix but it will not filter on sum.

LP Combination Generator

Jimmy

Looks Like She Already Has Platinum Membership

Maryland
      United States
      Member #126396
      April 8, 2012
      400 Posts
      Posted: November 7, 2014, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

LP Combination Generator

Jimmy

Thanks, I just checked..I even upgraded to platinum memebership for ones Smile.. I don't think it will work for me.. I just wanted to simply for example to input sum 141 and get calculation of all possible combinations for it for the game Multi Match or Jackpot games..Then transfer to excel possibly..

Don't ever grow up, it's a trap!

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
        Dallas, Texas
        United States
        Member #4549
        May 2, 2004
        1736 Posts
        Posted: November 7, 2014, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, I just checked..I even upgraded to platinum memebership for ones Smile.. I don't think it will work for me.. I just wanted to simply for example to input sum 141 and get calculation of all possible combinations for it for the game Multi Match or Jackpot games..Then transfer to excel possibly..

Glad to see so many optimist. And I do wish you luck.

What you are asking can be done with 15-20 lines of code, but the time to run it will take DAYS.

Then, after all that, I'm not sure Excel could open a file that large.

But if you insist, here you go.....

All you have to do is go get a BASIC, any BASIC will do, (QB64 is very good). Then copy and paste.

When you start the program it will ask, WHAT SUM. Input whatever you like and hit ENTER. When it is finished, you'll see PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE at the bottom of the screen. 

Open Excel and open Mega.CSV.

BE WARNED: It will take DAYS to complete. Maybe I should have added a PRINT statement so you could watch it run. If you have an old computer sitting around, put it to work.

G

PS Should have added the reason there is not a program to do what you want is you would only need to run it ONCE getting each combination total as you go. Once you have that file there is no need to have, or run, the program ever again.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

Dallas, Texas
          United States
          Member #4549
          May 2, 2004
          1736 Posts
          Posted: November 8, 2014, 5:31 am - IP Logged

Glad to see so many optimist. And I do wish you luck.

What you are asking can be done with 15-20 lines of code, but the time to run it will take DAYS.

Then, after all that, I'm not sure Excel could open a file that large.

But if you insist, here you go.....

All you have to do is go get a BASIC, any BASIC will do, (QB64 is very good). Then copy and paste.

When you start the program it will ask, WHAT SUM. Input whatever you like and hit ENTER. When it is finished, you'll see PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE at the bottom of the screen. 

Open Excel and open Mega.CSV.

BE WARNED: It will take DAYS to complete. Maybe I should have added a PRINT statement so you could watch it run. If you have an old computer sitting around, put it to work.

G

PS Should have added the reason there is not a program to do what you want is you would only need to run it ONCE getting each combination total as you go. Once you have that file there is no need to have, or run, the program ever again.

4 hours in.......

665,997 combinations of sum 141. Can't say what the total number of draws were. Counter was reading 1.68E+07. Think it quit working.

Maybe I am wrong. MAYBE, just MAYBE, it will only take 21.46 hours.

Naturally, being half asleep I did the dummy thing and closed it. Restarted it at 4:21AM.

Still not sure if the draw counter is going to work properly.

Have to be out this morning, should run fine.

Check it and post when I get home.

Have a Great day!

G

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

lottoarchitect's avatar - waveform

Greece
            Member #2815
            November 18, 2003
            502 Posts
            Posted: November 8, 2014, 10:21 am - IP Logged

I tried to compute for fun all the tickets generated for sum 141 on a 6/75 game using a relative fast computer (4 years old CPU) and it took only 3 minutes and resulted in 391190 tickets of sum 141 using my program. If you have an older system, it may take 5-6 minutes to do that. Exporting that to a text file took a couple of seconds and it was opened easily in notepad. I think this is the way to go really.

garyo, why do you have X6 go only up to 14? Is it a powerball field? If so, why do you even include it to the sum computations?

Dallas, Texas
              United States
              Member #4549
              May 2, 2004
              1736 Posts
              Posted: November 8, 2014, 11:42 am - IP Logged

1 X6 is the mega ball.

2 Nobody said don't include it.

3 Here's the total

I'll upload the Excel file to box and post a link if anyone is interested.

I restarted the program at 4:21. It was finished when I walked in at 10:30.

The last addition to the file was at 9:00AM.

G

Park City, UT
                United States
                Member #69864
                January 18, 2009
                993 Posts
                Posted: November 8, 2014, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

I wrote a program that doesn't include the megaball (i.e. it will calculate all the combos from 5/75 matrix that have sum 141)

It found 86,961 combos in 14 seconds.  I guess you could multiply that number by number of megaballs to get the total combinations.

If interested here is link to .cpp source code.

Source code

It is a general purpose program you can use it for any game matrix and not just MegaMillions.

From a command prompt you would type the following:

GenSumCombos 5 75 141 > output.csv

Jimmy

Dallas, Texas
                  United States
                  Member #4549
                  May 2, 2004
                  1736 Posts
                  Posted: November 8, 2014, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

I wrote a program that doesn't include the megaball (i.e. it will calculate all the combos from 5/75 matrix that have sum 141)

It found 86,961 combos in 14 seconds.  I guess you could multiply that number by number of megaballs to get the total combinations.

If interested here is link to .cpp source code.

Source code

It is a general purpose program you can use it for any game matrix and not just MegaMillions.

From a command prompt you would type the following:

GenSumCombos 5 75 141 > output.csv

Jimmy

Cool Jim!

Think I'm going to sit back and snap up all the source code you post! LOL

Had to make some on the fly changes to the original I posted but it wasn't anything major.

Question: Why would you not add the Mega ball to the rest of the numbers?

G

Park City, UT
                    United States
                    Member #69864
                    January 18, 2009
                    993 Posts
                    Posted: November 8, 2014, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Cool Jim!

Think I'm going to sit back and snap up all the source code you post! LOL

Had to make some on the fly changes to the original I posted but it wasn't anything major.

Question: Why would you not add the Mega ball to the rest of the numbers?

G

I could use the MegaBall number I just chose not to.  Most of the software I write for the big games I ignore the bonus ball because I typically do not use it in trying to find the trends since the bonus ball is typically drawn separately from the other balls.  In my mind the games that include a bonus ball are two separate games but that is just my opinion.

So if it took 14 seconds to generate the 5/75 matrix then I would assume it would take 14*14 seconds to generate the entire matrix using a single processor.  I have additional software that can distribute these type of calculations to a distributed server farm that has 128 processors available so it would literally be milli-seconds to complete such a task.  Most people do not have access to a server farm like I do for my day job.

Jimmy

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                      ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                      United States
                      Member #4924
                      June 3, 2004
                      5912 Posts
                      Posted: November 8, 2014, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

I could use the MegaBall number I just chose not to.  Most of the software I write for the big games I ignore the bonus ball because I typically do not use it in trying to find the trends since the bonus ball is typically drawn separately from the other balls.  In my mind the games that include a bonus ball are two separate games but that is just my opinion.

So if it took 14 seconds to generate the 5/75 matrix then I would assume it would take 14*14 seconds to generate the entire matrix using a single processor.  I have additional software that can distribute these type of calculations to a distributed server farm that has 128 processors available so it would literally be milli-seconds to complete such a task.  Most people do not have access to a server farm like I do for my day job.

Jimmy

Now, we have Computer Farms??

Dallas, Texas
                        United States
                        Member #4549
                        May 2, 2004
                        1736 Posts
                        Posted: November 8, 2014, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Jimmy

I completely agree with the two separate games concept. I don't know about the OP so I let it go.

I need a server farmer.

G

Park City, UT
                          United States
                          Member #69864
                          January 18, 2009
                          993 Posts
                          Posted: November 8, 2014, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

Now, we have Computer Farms??

You do if your a consultant for online companies that deal in large transactions over the Internet.

Google has a data center in Pryor, OK where I grew up and the row of backup generators outside the facilities are huge!!!

Jimmy

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                            ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                            United States
                            Member #4924
                            June 3, 2004
                            5912 Posts
                            Posted: November 8, 2014, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

You do if your a consultant for online companies that deal in large transactions over the Internet.

Google has a data center in Pryor, OK where I grew up and the row of backup generators outside the facilities are huge!!!

Jimmy

JJ, I spent four months in Altus, OK, establishing Geographical Coordinates for the ATLAS Missile sites for targeting. That was a lot of fun.

Maryland
                              United States
                              Member #126396
                              April 8, 2012
                              400 Posts
                              Posted: November 8, 2014, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

Wow! Thanks guys for help. I did not expect so many replies. Thank you so much!  I think I might stay with Multi Match and Powerball. I honestly did not realize that it will produce so many combinations..Roll Eyes

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!See Ya!

Don't ever grow up, it's a trap!