Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you think even if you play for years the chances of a decent win are still impossible?

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 2 years ago by eddessaknight.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
11979 Posts
Posted: November 11, 2014, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

From 11/05/1997 to 11/05/2014, Powerball sold more than 33.7 BILLION tickets. How many people won the jackpot during that period? 204.

That comes out to about 12 people per year from a pool of nearly 2 billion tickets per year.

"Easy" for 204 people doesn't mean it's true, or that it's even remotely, possibly true for you. Especially when 33.7 billion other tickets lose.

As THRIFTY says, "You will never win a jackpot in your lifetime." Someone else may, but it won't be you. Won't be me either! Can is not equal to will.

With that said, a few dollars here and there doesn't hurt. But the lottery as a retirement plan is ludicrous. Might as well bet on penny stocks with that attitude.

PLAYING THE LOTTERY LESS OFTEN IS THE BEST STRATEGY TO WIN A LOTTERY JACKPOT SOMEDAY.

Your chances of developing a gambling addiction are greater by spending $1 on the lottery versus $5 or $10.

You will be playing the lottery more often, because it will be easier to spend $1 versus $5 or $10 on the lottery.

I do not mind spending $5 for a lottery game that allows me to win the smaller prizes more often.

Winning the smaller prizes more often allows you to play for free.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4108 Posts
    Posted: November 11, 2014, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

Something's are possible, others are not. Winning what you call a " decent amount" is subjective to interpretation.

What is decent for one person may not be the same for another.For instance there are persons who are not interested in playing jackpots that are starting out, they want to "start" betting when it climbs into the $200 mil range. Nothing wrong with that but you get my point on the topic " decent"... I surmise.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
      Upacreek
      United States
      Member #136306
      December 8, 2012
      428 Posts
      Posted: November 11, 2014, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

No one's ever really explained this, but why is it impossible for most players to win, but yet way too easy for anyone who does win?  A previous mega millions winner from Illinois confirmed that it was way too easy.

I'd like to help you there jj, but what you're saying here doesn't make sense.

Reading it at face value, for those folks that are finding it way too easy to win, then why aren't they repeatedly winning major jackpots?  If they're not playing anymore, I'm sure somebody would be more than happy to hire them to snag wins for others.

-RC

United States
        Member #106134
        February 13, 2011
        806 Posts
        Posted: November 11, 2014, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to help you there jj, but what you're saying here doesn't make sense.

Reading it at face value, for those folks that are finding it way too easy to win, then why aren't they repeatedly winning major jackpots?  If they're not playing anymore, I'm sure somebody would be more than happy to hire them to snag wins for others.

The winners I talked to said they no longer played anyone because it wouldn't be fair to other players if they kept winning & they believed they could again.  I think they won a $52 million jp & ended up with around $18 mil after taxes.  That's a decent amount, I wouldn't feel the need to play anymore after winning something like that.

reddbrim's avatar - Lottery-067.jpg
          fresno ,tx
          United States
          Member #131768
          August 17, 2012
          26 Posts
          Posted: November 11, 2014, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

I dont think it is impossible just hard do but it can be done I just dont know how , but I will keep trying .maybe it will happen. 

GOOD LUCK.

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
            Wisconsin
            United States
            Member #104962
            January 23, 2011
            1075 Posts
            Posted: November 12, 2014, 9:21 am - IP Logged

Not a chance for MM or PB,  play your states pick 3 or 4 or 5 lottery game.

Trump 2016!

United States
              Member #106134
              February 13, 2011
              806 Posts
              Posted: November 12, 2014, 9:43 am - IP Logged

Not a chance for MM or PB,  play your states pick 3 or 4 or 5 lottery game.

Not true, you just have to figure out how to make it way too easy to win like previous winners have done.

Those pick 3, 4, or 5 games have prizes that amount to chump change.  I want a prize I can retire off of.

reddbrim's avatar - Lottery-067.jpg
                fresno ,tx
                United States
                Member #131768
                August 17, 2012
                26 Posts
                Posted: November 12, 2014, 10:20 am - IP Logged

i dont worry about the odds you already know, are not on you side so now don't worry about it just play the games you want to play an you will be fine

yes many people have not won but some have you have a chance to win just like anyone .PLAY WHAT YOU WANT AN CAN AFFORD TO PLAY AN IT WILL HAPPEN FOR YOU. good luck..

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                  Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #104962
                  January 23, 2011
                  1075 Posts
                  Posted: November 12, 2014, 10:25 am - IP Logged

Not true, you just have to figure out how to make it way too easy to win like previous winners have done.

Those pick 3, 4, or 5 games have prizes that amount to chump change.  I want a prize I can retire off of.

Aren't you the same guy that was claiming that a certain place uses cheat codes? 

Those pick 3, 4, 5 games have the best odds out of all of them,  They may not pay out much,  but at least you get something instead of nothing when one plays MM and PB.

What is your reason for flip flopping?

Trump 2016!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19828 Posts
                    Posted: November 12, 2014, 11:03 am - IP Logged

If you really thought you could play for years and never have a chance at a decent win, why play at all? 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                      Member #128790
                      June 2, 2012
                      5431 Posts
                      Posted: November 12, 2014, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

The winners I talked to said they no longer played anyone because it wouldn't be fair to other players if they kept winning & they believed they could again.  I think they won a $52 million jp & ended up with around $18 mil after taxes.  That's a decent amount, I wouldn't feel the need to play anymore after winning something like that.

Sorry, but there's something wrong with you. Looney Tunes...

United States
                        Member #128790
                        June 2, 2012
                        5431 Posts
                        Posted: November 12, 2014, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

Boy, they saw you coming from a mile away. 

cbr$'s avatar - maren
                          Cordova,Al.
                          United States
                          Member #104482
                          January 15, 2011
                          4916 Posts
                          Posted: November 12, 2014, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if most people still believe that even if you play the lottery for years that it's impossible to win a jackpot? It seems way more likely to lose big time than to win a jackpot ever (especially when you take the odds of MM & PB into consideration).  Since I've kept myself on a strict budget over a year ago I can afford to play for the long haul but realistically know it's going to be even harder for me to win because I stopped playing scratch tickets and only buy the draw tickets and 1 ticket per draw when I play.

I still think the big spenders have more of an advantage when it comes to the lottery but after reading many posts here it still seems nearly impossible for even those big spenders to win something really big.  I am glad I've been realistic about my chances of winning the lottery but at the same time it's quite depressing to know I will never be able to retire.

I have played for years & I still believe it could happen to me and for me.

United States
                            Member #106134
                            February 13, 2011
                            806 Posts
                            Posted: November 12, 2014, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

Sorry, but there's something wrong with you. Looney Tunes...

What?  I'm loony tunes if I'd quit playing after winning something like an $18 mil jackpot after taxes?

That's plenty for me, let someone else have a fair shot at a jackpot!

United States
                              Member #145267
                              August 1, 2013
                              1528 Posts
                              Posted: November 12, 2014, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

What winners stated that is was easy to win?