Welcome Guest
You last visited May 24, 2018, 1:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

1st post...

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 3 years ago by rj6speed.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #152892
February 28, 2014
28 Posts
Posted: November 19, 2014, 11:38 am - IP Logged

Hello all,

I've been a member here since february of this year, but most of my questions are usually answered by lurking, so I haven't posted yet...

I finally found a question I needed answered. I regularly play PB, but recently on their winners website I noticed that my state has not had a jackpot winner from as far back as the records go-2003(I'm assuming that's when the game was started). I have a good friend in another state that has had 4 jackpot winners since 2003.

Both states have had second tier 1 million dollar prizes, not sure which state had more... So my question is, should I just send the money to my friend to play for me down there or should I keep playing here thinking that my state might be due for the big one? What would you do?

United States
    Member #145267
    August 1, 2013
    1740 Posts
    Posted: November 19, 2014, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

That is a hard question, this is your friend that you will send money too.  What if your ticket wins, will your friend be honest with you about your winning ticket?  If you do send the money, have your friend take a pic of your ticket, and also play the lottery in your state also.  There is no guarantee that things will go smoothly with your friend unless he is willing to buy your ticket and send it to you before the drawing.  Sometimes I will buy my sister's tickets, but I always give her the tickets before the drawing, so there will not be any confusion.

Wyomissing, PA
      United States
      Member #161050
      November 15, 2014
      481 Posts
      Posted: November 19, 2014, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Firstly, the Powerball drawing, which still uses the traditional bingo like balls, is held in only one location, so the particular state one plays in makes no difference in regards to hitting the jackpot.

The biggest factor for the states lead in the jackpots is the number of players in them who participate - it's no surprise California and New York are at the top. However, this does NOT effect the odds of winning one bit; it's meaningless. Same chance of winning no matter what state one plays in.

As for sending money to a "friend" - that's a bad idea, because if the ticket turns out to be a winner, the "friend" will likely want some, or even all, of the jackpot winnings. And even if you have everything in writing, litigation could drag on for months to years with no guarantee of prevailing.

And then there's the tax consequences to consider, since some states levy no tax on lottery winnings while many others have widely varying rates that can be upwards of 10%. For example, it would be a very bad idea for a Pennsylvania player to play Powerball in another state, because those winnings would then be taxable at the state level too; in-state lottery winnings in PA are exempt from PA state tax.

In short, play Powerball yourself at a location convenient to you.

On a related topic, the method of generating quickpicks may vary from state to state / type of terminal utilized (ie. PA has at least two different types, and they operate differently). Not a biggie, but some players prefer very diverse, random-looking numbers verses getting patterns / similar numbers on multiple lines, which could potentially occur depending on how the terminal generates quickpicks - they're not guaranteed random; not scrutinized like drawings are. But if one plays their own numbers, the quickpick aspect doesn't matter either.

Finally, a player is 34 times more likely to hit the second place prize than the jackpot. Consider ponying up the extra dollar for powerplay to increase the lower tier prizes, in particular boosting the match 5 prize from $1 million to $2 million (that extra million should cover the taxes) leaving one a true millionaire. 

Hope this helps. And good luck!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - pI8lWzJ

United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6624 Posts
        Posted: November 19, 2014, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to Lottery Post, rj6speed!

I don't recommend sending anyone money to buy you tickets unless you really trust them to do the right thing and send you the ticket. Your chances of winning the PB/MM jackpot aren't going to get better just because your friend is in a state that wins more.

Stick with buying your own tickets because if you do win you're not going to have to deal with the hassle of someone else maybe holding your winning ticket or claiming it is theirs. Money, especially large sums of money, can make people (even friends) do shady stuff.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

South Carolina
          United States
          Member #18322
          July 9, 2005
          1801 Posts
          Posted: November 19, 2014, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

Hello all,

I've been a member here since february of this year, but most of my questions are usually answered by lurking, so I haven't posted yet...

I finally found a question I needed answered. I regularly play PB, but recently on their winners website I noticed that my state has not had a jackpot winner from as far back as the records go-2003(I'm assuming that's when the game was started). I have a good friend in another state that has had 4 jackpot winners since 2003.

Both states have had second tier 1 million dollar prizes, not sure which state had more... So my question is, should I just send the money to my friend to play for me down there or should I keep playing here thinking that my state might be due for the big one? What would you do?

What STATE do you live in, and play in ???

Let's use some common sense here.

If you're playing your own numbers, then obviously it does not matter which state you play in.

If you play by Quick Picks, another state's QPs aren't necessarily any better than you riding around in your own state purchasing QPs in different locations.

Left Coast
            United States
            Member #122298
            January 28, 2012
            125 Posts
            Posted: November 19, 2014, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to LP.

Don't do it.

Just buy your own tickets.

Sign them.

Keep it simple.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
              Member #52345
              May 21, 2007
              2895 Posts
              Posted: November 19, 2014, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to LP.

Don't do it.

Just buy your own tickets.

Sign them.

Keep it simple.

+1

&

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                Massachusetts
                United States
                Member #37433
                April 14, 2006
                2747 Posts
                Posted: November 19, 2014, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

You will not win just because you buy tickets in a state that wins often. How many Californians and New Yorker's are in LP and will tell you they have never matched 4+1 in either MM or PB despite playing religiously for years? 

There was an LP guy from TX who matched 4+1 in Powerball last year. He showed us the evidence and all.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
                  Member #152892
                  February 28, 2014
                  28 Posts
                  Posted: November 19, 2014, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the welcomes and responses, they're all really helpful...

Let me try to answer all the questions...

-Yes I was referring to quick picks...

-The two states I was referring to was WA & KY, I'm from WA, he's in KY... I originally brought this up to him because they have the monopoly millionaires game and we do not, with no plans currently for 2015 as far as I know... I was interested in playing that game, and while I was researching, I just checked the winners for PB, noticed we had none...

-He's been my best friend since 2007, and doesn't seem interested in the lottery like I am... He said he'll play every once in awhile when the jackpots get huge down there, but that's it...

-I'm sure if I sent some stamps and envelopes down there(and the money) with his yearly xmas gift, he would send me the tickets before the draws even happened if I were to ask him...

-I have no delusions of winning a jackpot(only hope like everyone else)but when your state has never won a PB jackpot, you feel like you're in a bigger hole right off the bat...

-Hope that helps...

Left Coast
                    United States
                    Member #122298
                    January 28, 2012
                    125 Posts
                    Posted: November 19, 2014, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

Okay... A few more points.

I wouldn't worry about the perceived luck or unluckyness of your state. (I am also in the camp that believes that QPs are completely random and the ping pong balls are completely random.)

If you want to mix it up, go to Oregon or Idaho some weekend and buy some Advanced Play tickets. Get a months worth of draws at a time.

Finally, there is some weirdness in the laws about mailing lottery tickets. I think mailing a ticket as a gift is fine, but after that, it might be different. I can't remember what it is and it may not be a big deal... But probably worth double-checking laws before you and your friend start making transactions.

United States
                      Member #128790
                      June 2, 2012
                      5431 Posts
                      Posted: November 19, 2014, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

Hello all,

I've sent money to people I've never met. I'd like to help you, but I don't think I'm qualified.  Green laugh

noahwill's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                        Melbourne
                        Australia
                        Member #160219
                        October 22, 2014
                        42 Posts
                        Posted: November 20, 2014, 3:16 am - IP Logged

As far as I understand its all completely random, so it shouldn't make a difference where the ticket is bought. I personally wouldn't get friends involved because friends and money can be a messy combination :)

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                          Member #91
                          January 19, 2002
                          13090 Posts
                          Posted: November 20, 2014, 6:44 am - IP Logged
                          2007-2014 HitsPopPop5+05+02007-2014 HitsPop5+15+1
                          nameRankTotalHits$$$nameRankHits$$$
                          Kentucky264,395,295160$55,300,000Kentucky263.5$234,500,000
                          Washington136,971,406131$48,700,000Washington130.0$0

To close to call.  Doesn't seem correct until you look at the border states. KY would get more players from border states Traveling through the state then WA.

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

United States
                            Member #152892
                            February 28, 2014
                            28 Posts
                            Posted: December 2, 2014, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

Wow, Deja Vu'...

United States
                              Member #161539
                              December 3, 2014
                              328 Posts
                              Posted: December 3, 2014, 6:33 am - IP Logged

Ron5995

Also being from PA, I agree with with what you posted ... it does help that in PA (and some other states also) we are "currently" free from PA state taxes but a new Governor just got elected so who can say what "new ideas" he may have in mind.

Also agree that a person has to win two million to really be a true millionaire ... in PA, with just Federal tax to consider ... maybe 1.5 million would make a person a true millionaire with a few extra dollars plus.

Speaking of computer generated quick picks ... in PA I find those to be very frustrating most of the time ... the computer seems to generate mostly low numbers ... lots of 1s (ones) many times for me and also 2s and 3s when I would like a ticket to start with a higher number like maybe 12 or 14 and such.

I can talk a lot about the PA quick pick system and perhaps the computers are programmed to print out low numbers like 1. If a lot of tickets have a 1, 2 or 3 and it's a higher number, then the jackpot may carry over another day.

Earlier this year I bought a Mega Millions, a Cash 5 and a Treasure Hunt ticket and all three tickets started with a 1 ... I was so mad I went back into the store to play my own numbers on the Cash 5 that started with a 7 ... the Cash 5 jackpot was big that night and I didn't want that stupid 1. One time this year I bought a Match 6 ticket ... in PA that is our 6-49 game and you get three lines for $2.00 ... all three lines started with a 1 and on one line it was 1 - 2.

Maybe I am the only one that finds the PA quick pick system frustrating, I don't know. I also buy many times at 6am when they turn the terminals on at the Sheetz gas station at a lottery self serve terminal, so maybe the main system not being real busy with lottery ticket sales with numbers being created, the main system just prints "low numbers".

I want to start a 6-49 game topic later today or in the week ...