Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Will you play Powerball more often before the Matrix change in 2015?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 2 years ago by rcbbuckeye.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: December 17, 2014, 9:28 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Will you play the Powerball more than you might have since the Matrix change in April 2015 will make it even more impossible to win? I am very upset with this news and thank LottoMetro for her post about this change occurring. I always play one ticket only with the extra dollar for Powerball. I do not play every draw but might start doing so before this change happens. One thing I know for certain is that I will not be playing the extra dollar for the Power Up next year. I think it's nuts that 2nd prize for Power Up will be only 500k and if you do not spend the extra dollar and win 2nd place you get 1 million. I'm very frustrated with the matrix change. When Mega Millions changed their matrix to 75 balls I cut back and rarely play anymore. At least with the current Powerball if you play with Power Play you can win 2 million (minus taxes of course) and the odds are not as horrible to win 2nd place. I will most likely not play much when the matrix change happens. Why couldn't they just let this game stay the way it was?

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5611 Posts
    Posted: December 17, 2014, 9:32 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Will you play the Powerball more than you might have since the Matrix change in April 2015 will make it even more impossible to win? I am very upset with this news and thank LottoMetro for her post about this change occurring. I always play one ticket only with the extra dollar for Powerball. I do not play every draw but might start doing so before this change happens. One thing I know for certain is that I will not be playing the extra dollar for the Power Up next year. I think it's nuts that 2nd prize for Power Up will be only 500k and if you do not spend the extra dollar and win 2nd place you get 1 million. I'm very frustrated with the matrix change. When Mega Millions changed their matrix to 75 balls I cut back and rarely play anymore. At least with the current Powerball if you play with Power Play you can win 2 million (minus taxes of course) and the odds are not as horrible to win 2nd place. I will most likely not play much when the matrix change happens. Why couldn't they just let this game stay the way it was?

I'm taking a wait and see attitude. But based on current info, I will probably drop PB and keep playing MM and my state games.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
      Member #161539
      December 3, 2014
      328 Posts
      Posted: December 17, 2014, 9:59 am - IP Logged

I'm taking a wait and see attitude. But based on current info, I will probably drop PB and keep playing MM and my state games.

Have to agree ... I will also "wait and see" on my part. I stopped playing the MM an PB in November, at least for awhile. I seem to have little interest in losing any further dollars on those games ... going to also work my state games.

The fact that they are adding a 10 to the PB multiplier really means very little ... the 2s will continue to show up more often than any of the other numbers, this is not a seller for me. Unless they drop the 2 or decrease the number of 2s showing up ... it's just a game that will be harder for all of us to hit ... but there are always going to be a lucky player somewhere that will rain on the PB parade.

I hope the jackpot continues to get hit under $100 million ... won't that upset the planners.

They should just make MM and PB with 100 numbers and 100 MM and PB bonus balls ... they will get their billion dollar jackpot and then we can all stand back and say, as we look at the billboard ... Now What ???

CW

Wyomissing, PA
        United States
        Member #161050
        November 15, 2014
        301 Posts
        Posted: December 17, 2014, 10:15 am - IP Logged

Ditto. After the price doubling to $2, I cut back on Powerball and rarely play. Was never a big PB player, but used to play some tickets most drawings. Now, at $2+1 (I always add powerplay), it's not worth the measly payouts one can most likely expect. The proposed changes look to bulk-up the very low tier prizes, but with too much of a tradeoff in complexity and even worse odds. Powerball is currently a relatively decent value for hitting 2nd place, which many players also aim for.

A better approach for MUSL would be to increase the overall payout percentage from 50% to around 65-75% - that would allow for increased lower tier prizes and faster jackpot growth, while leaving the overall game matrix and format unchanged. But the states are too greedy to do that, but they should, since the higher payout percentage is much of the reason why instant ticket sales, which typically payout in the 60%-75% range, are doing well, and continue to grow - players like winning / more playtime, even if they're really still losing, overall.

United States
          Member #161539
          December 3, 2014
          328 Posts
          Posted: December 17, 2014, 11:51 am - IP Logged

Ditto. After the price doubling to $2, I cut back on Powerball and rarely play. Was never a big PB player, but used to play some tickets most drawings. Now, at $2+1 (I always add powerplay), it's not worth the measly payouts one can most likely expect. The proposed changes look to bulk-up the very low tier prizes, but with too much of a tradeoff in complexity and even worse odds. Powerball is currently a relatively decent value for hitting 2nd place, which many players also aim for.

A better approach for MUSL would be to increase the overall payout percentage from 50% to around 65-75% - that would allow for increased lower tier prizes and faster jackpot growth, while leaving the overall game matrix and format unchanged. But the states are too greedy to do that, but they should, since the higher payout percentage is much of the reason why instant ticket sales, which typically payout in the 60%-75% range, are doing well, and continue to grow - players like winning / more playtime, even if they're really still losing, overall.

Yes the jump to a $2 PB ticket was a killer for me also ... I didn't play for months and then I started again "off and on" ... if the PB would go back to a $1 ticket, I could work $4 a week into my lottery budget ... $2 for MM and $2 for PB ... I just hate throwing away $2 on a game that is hopeless to win for most people but throwing away a dollar doesn't seem as bad as throwing away $2 ... probably a mindset ... but a dollar is a dollar!

I agree a larger payout would be one way to get my interest ... so they make less on tickets but they will probably sell more tickets ... we can all play or we can all vote with our wallets, change purses or money hidden in our shoe!

As I said earlier ... it's going to be a "wait and see" thing for me.

CW

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
            Columbus, Ohio
            United States
            Member #128906
            June 5, 2012
            592 Posts
            Posted: December 17, 2014, 11:59 am - IP Logged

Once MM made the change last year, I rarely play.  With the new PB matrix, I won't bother playing the extra number.  The lottery "big wigs" should understand you can only push the public so far before they stop playing

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: December 17, 2014, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

If I played the game regularly I would probably be upset about the changes, but ever since Powerball became $2.00 to play, I've only played the game 2 or 3 times so this doesn't really effect me. I basically quit playing it and these changes won't get me to start playing it now.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
                Member #161539
                December 3, 2014
                328 Posts
                Posted: December 17, 2014, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

Once MM made the change last year, I rarely play.  With the new PB matrix, I won't bother playing the extra number.  The lottery "big wigs" should understand you can only push the public so far before they stop playing

I also rarely play the MM with it only being $1 ... I usually add the extra dollar but in my head I know the number odds ... a lot of people don't play or pay much attention to odds. It's hopeless ... maybe and I only say maybe ... if a person could live to be 600 yrs old ... maybe lightning would strike at age 400 and you could still have 200 yrs left to enjoy the money!

Even a $1 price tag doesn't have the magic it once did ... not when you actually study the odds so a $1 PB would probably mean nothing to me these days ... too many matrix changes.

Show me the money NOW ... might have to check the instant tickets out again ... along with the other state games.

CW

United States
                  Member #161539
                  December 3, 2014
                  328 Posts
                  Posted: December 17, 2014, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

If I played the game regularly I would probably be upset about the changes, but ever since Powerball became $2.00 to play, I've only played the game 2 or 3 times so this doesn't really effect me. I basically quit playing it and these changes won't get me to start playing it now.

Just curious TSC ... what games do like to play in Idaho? Does Idaho have a 6/49 game or something similar?

What game, if any, do you win on? ... a Cash 5 game?

CW

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                    Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #37433
                    April 14, 2006
                    2747 Posts
                    Posted: December 17, 2014, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

Playing is fine but playing many lines when you know they're just taking more of your money is crazy. I used to average 5 lines for MM & PB back when PB was $1. 

I don't do that anymore

That money's gone fo ever

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #56506
                      November 21, 2007
                      6537 Posts
                      Posted: December 17, 2014, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

Just curious TSC ... what games do like to play in Idaho? Does Idaho have a 6/49 game or something similar?

What game, if any, do you win on? ... a Cash 5 game?

CW

We have our own Pick 5 game called Weekly Grand that I like but it's $2 to play so I don't like the price tag much but if you get 2 numbers you get a free ticket and 3 numbers gives you 25 bucks and I get 3 numbers quite often so I play it every now and then.

I tend to play Wild Card and Hot Lotto although those involve other states. I really like Wild Card because you get two lines for a dollar. And nope we don't have a 6/49 game. I have to go to Oregon to play their 6/48 game.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #90535
                        April 29, 2010
                        11982 Posts
                        Posted: December 17, 2014, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I play the lottery sporadically regardless of the of the odds of winning. I make sure to have an spending limit though.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

NEW YORK
                          United States
                          Member #90535
                          April 29, 2010
                          11982 Posts
                          Posted: December 17, 2014, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

Playing is fine but playing many lines when you know they're just taking more of your money is crazy. I used to average 5 lines for MM & PB back when PB was $1. 

I don't do that anymore

Buying multiple lottery tickets increases your chances of winning, but you spend more money in the short run. You can limit the daily, weekly and monthly disappointment by playing once a year.LOL

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7314 Posts
                            Posted: December 17, 2014, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

I can't remember the last time I bought PB tickets, but it was when PowerPlay had a fix prize. I can remember because I matched 4 + 0 making PB one lottery game where I know I'm in the black.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                              Massachusetts
                              United States
                              Member #37433
                              April 14, 2006
                              2747 Posts
                              Posted: December 17, 2014, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

Buying multiple lottery tickets increases your chances of winning, but you spend more money in the short run. You can limit the daily, weekly and monthly disappointment by playing once a year.LOL

Starving oneself leads to binge eating so in this case I think completely not playing will make you splurge when you decide to play and that wouldn't be good. I think it's best to play a little at a time and hope for the best.

That money's gone fo ever