Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Will you play Powerball more often before the Matrix change in 2015?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 2 years ago by rcbbuckeye.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
Happyland
United States
Member #146344
September 1, 2013
1129 Posts
Posted: December 17, 2014, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

Starving oneself leads to binge eating so in this case I think completely not playing will make you splurge when you decide to play and that wouldn't be good. I think it's best to play a little at a time and hope for the best.

This is probably true for players who have a propensity to overspend or need to get in on the "action."

Me, I've only bought 1 Mega Millions ticket this whole year and haven't played Powerball at all. I think for me it was more exciting to play because I hadn't been participating all year. So there was more anticipation for the draw that I did play in. This didn't change how much I spent though, because I was already well aware of the odds even with multiple tickets. Mathematically it is better to play more tickets in fewer draws, but only to like the tenth decimal place. So without self-control, I imagine that you could (over)spend more than the casual player who plays only one ticket per draw for every draw.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3854 Posts
    Posted: December 17, 2014, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

I hav'nt been a regular PB player for awhile now, last tix I had were in sept. JP was 200+ that time.

As for this upcoming change, like others here I'll just wait and see,

even after the change I'll likely still just play now and then when the JP is oversize and overdue.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #129225
      June 13, 2012
      546 Posts
      Posted: December 17, 2014, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

I will play the same way before the new matrix as I play now.  I will play the same way after the new matrix as I do now.  I don't play the powerplay now and I will not play the new powerplay.  I think it would be silly to start buying extra plays so you can win before the change.  This is not the first time they have changed the matrix nor will it be the last.  It really makes no difference to me in how I play.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4104 Posts
        Posted: December 17, 2014, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

More often? - nope, now when it climbs over my " threshold limit" l will play another ticket or two. It's like someone likes saying" you have to be in it to win it"..

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
          Marquette, MI
          United States
          Member #20541
          August 20, 2005
          705 Posts
          Posted: December 17, 2014, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Will you play the Powerball more than you might have since the Matrix change in April 2015 will make it even more impossible to win? I am very upset with this news and thank LottoMetro for her post about this change occurring. I always play one ticket only with the extra dollar for Powerball. I do not play every draw but might start doing so before this change happens. One thing I know for certain is that I will not be playing the extra dollar for the Power Up next year. I think it's nuts that 2nd prize for Power Up will be only 500k and if you do not spend the extra dollar and win 2nd place you get 1 million. I'm very frustrated with the matrix change. When Mega Millions changed their matrix to 75 balls I cut back and rarely play anymore. At least with the current Powerball if you play with Power Play you can win 2 million (minus taxes of course) and the odds are not as horrible to win 2nd place. I will most likely not play much when the matrix change happens. Why couldn't they just let this game stay the way it was?

I am as likely to play the PowerBall after the matrix change as Charlie Brown is as likely to kick that football.

I play it now with the powerplier because of the odds of winning second prize and the $2,000,000 second prize.

I'm quitting after the Matrix change.

They'd of done better with a price change or a bigaplier/smallaplier option.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10345 Posts
            Posted: December 17, 2014, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

No, I won't play PB more often.

As for the current format, I don't like the idea that the Powerplay doesn't fully apply to 5 + 0, it's $2M or $3M regardless of the Powerplay number.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
              NY
              United States
              Member #121961
              January 21, 2012
              3157 Posts
              Posted: December 18, 2014, 1:12 am - IP Logged

I wish them luck with the new change. With sales as low as 10mill, there's not much profit left. I doubt this will attract new players and that's what they need. Should be interesting but hopefully they design something decent. This won't stop me from playing.

DoctorWhy's avatar - 04 05.jpg
                Indianapolis, IN
                United States
                Member #151842
                January 28, 2014
                107 Posts
                Posted: December 18, 2014, 1:16 am - IP Logged

I have no intention of playing this game, I just try to stick to the state lottery.

Think amongst Chaos. Play in Order.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                  Massachusetts
                  United States
                  Member #37433
                  April 14, 2006
                  2747 Posts
                  Posted: December 18, 2014, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

This is probably true for players who have a propensity to overspend or need to get in on the "action."

Me, I've only bought 1 Mega Millions ticket this whole year and haven't played Powerball at all. I think for me it was more exciting to play because I hadn't been participating all year. So there was more anticipation for the draw that I did play in. This didn't change how much I spent though, because I was already well aware of the odds even with multiple tickets. Mathematically it is better to play more tickets in fewer draws, but only to like the tenth decimal place. So without self-control, I imagine that you could (over)spend more than the casual player who plays only one ticket per draw for every draw.

Thumbs Up Your kind of discipline is admirable

That money's gone fo ever

United States
                    Member #106134
                    February 13, 2011
                    806 Posts
                    Posted: December 18, 2014, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

I'll play it more after the matrix change because there should be larger jackpots.

The matrix needed to be changed because it was way too easy for some to win & they recognized that.  Too many winners will bankrupt Powerball.

Chicago
                      United States
                      Member #90131
                      April 22, 2010
                      38 Posts
                      Posted: December 20, 2014, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

I wonder if their systems can handle 3 digit numbers?

Jerry B

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                        JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                        Member #141034
                        April 2, 2013
                        1408 Posts
                        Posted: December 20, 2014, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

People will always play regardless of odds or jackpot size. Win more, play more, win less, play less.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

Wyomissing, PA
                          United States
                          Member #161050
                          November 15, 2014
                          301 Posts
                          Posted: December 20, 2014, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

I'll play it more after the matrix change because there should be larger jackpots.

The matrix needed to be changed because it was way too easy for some to win & they recognized that.  Too many winners will bankrupt Powerball.

The current 1 in ~175 million jackpot odds is no cinch; Powerball already is far from easy to win. As for roll-overs, the 1 in ~286 million odds will help for sure, but will, presumably, reduce sales in the process - take longer for jackpots to build to a level that generates a buying frenzy. Mega Millions jackpot odds is 1 in ~259 million, and yet jackpots are still getting hit earlier than many would expect. There's seemingly diminishing returns with raising the odds. 

That's where all the gimmicks, such as multipliers and Power Plus, come in to engage players and generate sales during the lower amount jackpot periods, which will be most of the time.

And the gimmicks don't stop there. The calculation of the annuity jackpot can be dodgy, leading players to believe the amount is far larger than it is. Over-estimating sales; extending the annuity period and/or varying the payment amounts. More to the point, the widely touted jackpot annuity amount may not even be correct. Typically, there's an asterisk saying the annuity jackpot amount is estimated, though I've come across ads that didn't even say that; at least not visibly.

To digress a bit, the super-large Powerball Jackpot back in June 2013 was widely advertised at $600 million annuity, but the winner only received ~590 million annuity value. They were stiffed ~$10 million. Doubt the winner cares, but other players were stiffed in a way too - they were playing with the mistaken belief, which was reinforced by all the ads touting it, that the jackpot was $600 million when it really wasn't.

More savvy players focus on the cash-value, which is what most jackpot winners should take; to avoid later surprises. Such as what happened, briefly, in New Hampshire, which levied a 10% surtax on all lottery winnings, including lottery annuity payments, even for jackpots won prior to the change. That state law was quickly repealed, but was an eye-opener.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
                            Los Angeles, California
                            United States
                            Member #149492
                            December 2, 2013
                            919 Posts
                            Posted: December 20, 2014, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

I'll play about the same, which is rarely.  I just buy tickets here and there.  I don't think I bought PB or MM in 3-4 months.  If I do, it's one line.

south el monte
                              United States
                              Member #154982
                              May 4, 2014
                              64 Posts
                              Posted: December 21, 2014, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

no i dont play powerball at all.... i used to play 5$ for every draw for mm before they made the odds even worst ...... i only play pb or mm now when it goes up to like 200plus mill....not that often...

i just play the state lotto now....