Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 1:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Who else would invest their winnings ?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 2 years ago by DoctorWhy.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
Happy California
United States
Member #157856
August 2, 2014
1550 Posts
Posted: January 3, 2015, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

Who would make their jackpot earn money by investing it ?  This will take patience and financial help. I believe my life would slow down to a crawl.  I would just sit back and grow into my money. Good Luck to all LP members & staff.

Party

Happy California
    United States
    Member #157856
    August 2, 2014
    1550 Posts
    Posted: January 3, 2015, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

I just used the search engine here at LP , "Search" and typed in , investing winnings. I read a lot of good replies.Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19902 Posts
      Posted: January 3, 2015, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

I just used the search engine here at LP , "Search" and typed in , investing winnings. I read a lot of good replies.Smile

Did your readings include Brad Duke's story?  He won a powerball jackpot a few years ago and his plans was to turn it to a billion dollars in the next ten years.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
        Member #52345
        May 21, 2007
        2680 Posts
        Posted: January 3, 2015, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

Did your readings include Brad Duke's story?  He won a powerball jackpot a few years ago and his plans was to turn it to a billion dollars in the next ten years.

Type I wonder how hes making out these days ......

Happy California
          United States
          Member #157856
          August 2, 2014
          1550 Posts
          Posted: January 3, 2015, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

RJOh & hearsetrax, I will look for Brad Duke's name and updates when I search "investing winnings". We are all curious about him.Conehead

Happy California
            United States
            Member #157856
            August 2, 2014
            1550 Posts
            Posted: January 3, 2015, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

Wink I have found some news about Brad Duke dated Feb.5,2010.  I know it is five years old. Anyway , "search" investing winnings .  Scroll down Page 1 of the results. find  " Does anyone here know what happened to Brad Duke?

Click on this result.  Find page 1 scroll down to four4me Feb.5,2010 . there is also a tag for the 

www.mccookgazette.com   Brad Duke is discussed near the bottom of this page. this is a good reminder of how some winners do not lose it all.  Shocked

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4146 Posts
              Posted: January 3, 2015, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

" Sit back & grow into your money".. If one invested heavily  in Apple stock a few years ago- yeah l can see one's money growing at an alarming rate.. But now, one never knows.

Btw- Brad won over'$200 mil and the only thing l recall him telling a reporter was buying a " fleet of bicycles"..

Sitting on one's money and not wanting to spend it is what l call the " Smaug syndrome"..( The Hobbitt)

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Happy California
                United States
                Member #157856
                August 2, 2014
                1550 Posts
                Posted: January 3, 2015, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

noise-gate,  The time allotted to "Sit back & grow into your money " will be determined by each winner. 

Brad Duke got an after tax amount of $85 million. 

Did you enjoy the JRR Tolkein  book and movies ?

If I talked to much about investing plans and ideas you might think that I am in the business. I am not that smart.   I will need to pay good money for excellent advice.

Approvemucic*

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4146 Posts
                  Posted: January 3, 2015, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

All l was doing was adding my 2 cents to the discussion,  nothing more Music. .

Have not read any of Tolkien's books, but liked the adaptation of his books being turned into movies.It does not hurt that good writing went into making them fine movies. The last movie l saw in the theater was " The Equalizer" with Mr Washington,  it was bloody,  but like they say " one has to break some eggs in order to make an omelette. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7344 Posts
                    Posted: January 3, 2015, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

Who would make their jackpot earn money by investing it ?  This will take patience and financial help. I believe my life would slow down to a crawl.  I would just sit back and grow into my money. Good Luck to all LP members & staff.

Party

There was a similar thread not long ago so I guess it depends on how much a large jackpot winner is willing discuss about their finances. If any of the LP members won millions, it doesn't look like they want to share their investment strategies.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19902 Posts
                      Posted: January 4, 2015, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

There was a similar thread not long ago so I guess it depends on how much a large jackpot winner is willing discuss about their finances. If any of the LP members won millions, it doesn't look like they want to share their investment strategies.

Depending on the winner's age, their best plan may be to enjoy their winnings while they still have time.  To hell with investing if they're not likely to be around to enjoy the benefits.  Besides there are plenty of investment consultants around if others are interested.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7344 Posts
                        Posted: January 4, 2015, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Depending on the winner's age, their best plan may be to enjoy their winnings while they still have time.  To hell with investing if they're not likely to be around to enjoy the benefits.  Besides there are plenty of investment consultants around if others are interested.

Unless they have experience in investing it probably is best to consult with a financial planner. I've always wondered why some people say they must speak to a financial adviser before validating their ticket.

Happy California
                          United States
                          Member #157856
                          August 2, 2014
                          1550 Posts
                          Posted: January 5, 2015, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

Stack47, A lawyer is the first that I will contact. After I tell a few trusted family members. music*

California
                            United States
                            Member #141204
                            April 7, 2013
                            280 Posts
                            Posted: January 5, 2015, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

Not sure where you'd go with the jackpot money if you win. Everything is overpriced or priced to perfection. Doesn't seem to be anything undervalued. This goes for stocks, bonds and real estate.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                              Texas Panhandle
                              United States
                              Member #136843
                              December 20, 2012
                              1409 Posts
                              Posted: January 5, 2015, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Not sure where you'd go with the jackpot money if you win. Everything is overpriced or priced to perfection. Doesn't seem to be anything undervalued. This goes for stocks, bonds and real estate.

I Agree!  If I ever win, I'm going to be more concerned about protecting the principal than how much money I can make off it.   I wonder what the percentage is in the cases of lottery winners who lost their money from them blowing through it vs. those getting scammed out of it?

I saw a headline earlier where the market took a bit of a tumble.  Gold and silver are on up there, but I don't know that I would invest in either one of them.  Real estate/rentals might be good, but you never know when the bottom will fall out of it.   I'm going to opt for the safest investments I can find.

I have a few small, vacant parcels of land around town I bought when I first got out on my own.  They've really cost me money in the long run considering the taxes I've paid on them, but I believed my pop when he told me I should get lots while I was young. Wink

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
                               - George Orwell