Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is mega millions worth playing anymore?

Topic closed. 51 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
mrbg's avatar - NofVcy
Nashville,TN
United States
Member #79101
August 26, 2009
10971 Posts
Posted: January 18, 2015, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

States Don't Win jackpots- people Do.

Agreed!!!!!

Igamble's avatar - spider
    nj
    United States
    Member #145657
    August 10, 2013
    974 Posts
    Posted: January 19, 2015, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Kindergarden class for dummy players !Dance

Class topic-Ughhhh my state not winning any Jp Blue Thinking 

WHY !!

EXAMPLE

NY state tickets sold/month 2014YTD-100.000.000-124.000.000Tks.

OHIO state tickets sold/month 2014 YTD-2.000.000-2.500.000Tks.

What state has the highest RESULT OF JACKPOT AND NON JACKPOT (4+1/3+0) WINS MOST LIKELY ??

A)Person living outside planet Earth

B)Cristopher Columbo

C)Banker in Manhattan,Ny

D)Ohio state football team 

Free pick 3 prediction for correct answer.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: January 19, 2015, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

1 ticket won in Illinois and 2nd tier prize was not hard to guess, New York and Florida.

Is this even worth playing if you live in a non-winning state.

Since someone in every participation state has matched at least a 5+0 and come close to winning, how do you define a non-winning state?  You can't play in a non-participation state but I think playing is worth the drive to a participating state if the jackpot is high enough.  Playing is a personal choice and for some people no lottery game is worth playing.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4106 Posts
        Posted: January 19, 2015, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

if you put down a Dollar and the jackpot was $7 mil and you won half or a third of it, would you consider your wager " worth it.?"

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Bondi Junction
          Australia
          Member #57242
          December 24, 2007
          1102 Posts
          Posted: January 19, 2015, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Like all lotteries, it's a bit of a gamble!

LOL

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

United States
            Member #106134
            February 13, 2011
            806 Posts
            Posted: January 19, 2015, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if there are stats on it, but I've always wondered if residents in some states play "harder" on average than residents of others.  For example, do players in North Dakota only buy 3 tickets per drawing on average while players in New York buy 10 tickets?

It would be interesting to know.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
              Lavender Rocket

United States
              Member #124616
              March 16, 2012
              2642 Posts
              Posted: January 20, 2015, 10:32 am - IP Logged

if you put down a Dollar and the jackpot was $7 mil and you won half or a third of it, would you consider your wager " worth it.?"

yes I would. 

so that would be 2.3M on the low side... 1.15M-ish after all authority agencies get their cut?

- not a bad return on a 3 minute investment (time to fill out slip, take it to counter, pay for play and receive slip from counter-worker-bee)

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                Lavender Rocket

United States
                Member #124616
                March 16, 2012
                2642 Posts
                Posted: January 20, 2015, 10:43 am - IP Logged

Kindergarden class for dummy players !Dance

Class topic-Ughhhh my state not winning any Jp Blue Thinking 

WHY !!

EXAMPLE

NY state tickets sold/month 2014YTD-100.000.000-124.000.000Tks.

OHIO state tickets sold/month 2014 YTD-2.000.000-2.500.000Tks.

What state has the highest RESULT OF JACKPOT AND NON JACKPOT (4+1/3+0) WINS MOST LIKELY ??

A)Person living outside planet Earth

B)Cristopher Columbo

C)Banker in Manhattan,Ny

D)Ohio state football team 

Free pick 3 prediction for correct answer.

which state... let's see... a- doesnt list a state... so no A, b- also doesnt list a state... so no B, c- 1 person in high volume state... so yes state is listed, d- group play in lower volume state... so state is listed...

so my choices are now c or d... high volume state or low volume state... now WHERE did i put my coin... my kidlettes are saying its 50/50... my hubby votes for A (or maybe he is voting for ME to be living outside planet Earth so i stop bothering him with these questions)

so little time so many choices... I choose B - Christopher Columbus - although I always enjoyed the Columbo series on tv... which also means I choose B!

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                  upstate NY
                  United States
                  Member #108791
                  March 31, 2011
                  549 Posts
                  Posted: January 20, 2015, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if there are stats on it, but I've always wondered if residents in some states play "harder" on average than residents of others.  For example, do players in North Dakota only buy 3 tickets per drawing on average while players in New York buy 10 tickets?

I do not know if statistics exist regarding how many people play the lottery in each state, but you can find the number of tickets sold for each drawing.  Take that, throw it into a blender with some readily available population figures, and you've got a rough idea of the average number of tickets bought per person.

Patriot

United States
                    Member #145267
                    August 1, 2013
                    1502 Posts
                    Posted: January 20, 2015, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

That is interesting that there is a possibility that in states that win more, players may spend more on lottery. I would.

Florida
                      United States
                      Member #160844
                      November 9, 2014
                      111 Posts
                      Posted: January 20, 2015, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

Buying  the lotto is easy winning is a dream. LOL I don't think people actually know the odds of hitting the lotto.

I don't care how much and i don't wait for the to reach /*--@*,^%,$$,%^** its $1 to possibly win millions " can a have a quick pick"

"I must make my own lane"

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: January 21, 2015, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure nobody's tracking it precisely, but they can certainly tell a lot about buying patterns with the online games. Even if somebody  uses 3 separate bet slips to buy 3 PB tickets it will normally be just one transaction on the terminal. Same thing when somebody buys a PB, and one ticket each for 2 different state games. When scratchers are scanned when they're sold (as opposed to each roll being activated) they'll also get a decent idea of what the typical player is doing. It may not give them the data for a single transaction, but if several tickets are activated and then there's a gap of a minute or more before the next ticket is activated it's a safe bet that one person bought the first bunch of tickets.

I'm sure the lotteries would love to get the average player to spend more, but all they're really after is increasing total sales, and having twice as many players would make them just as happy as each player spending twice as much. And of course total sales is the only thing that matters when looking at which states are most likely to sell winners in a multi-state game.

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                          Northern Virginia
                          United States
                          Member #83350
                          December 5, 2009
                          1315 Posts
                          Posted: February 1, 2015, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

I don't play Mega Millions or Powerball unless there is a drawing for a near-record jackpot on a major holiday, on my birthday, or on February 29.  I don't like those games because they essentially rob middle-tier prize winners at gunpoint. The odds of matching 3+1 on Mega Millions is 1 in 10,720, and if you are fortunate to match that combination, all you get is $500. I can play the 3-ball and have MUCH better odds of winning the same amount of money. I feel that Mega Millions should be paying out at least $2500 for matching 3+1.

* "Extraordinary circumstances" is defined as a near-record jackpot on a major holiday, on my birthday, or on February 29.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                            United States
                            Member #112968
                            June 29, 2011
                            3854 Posts
                            Posted: February 1, 2015, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

I don't play Mega Millions or Powerball unless there is a drawing for a near-record jackpot on a major holiday, on my birthday, or on February 29.  I don't like those games because they essentially rob middle-tier prize winners at gunpoint. The odds of matching 3+1 on Mega Millions is 1 in 10,720, and if you are fortunate to match that combination, all you get is $500. I can play the 3-ball and have MUCH better odds of winning the same amount of money. I feel that Mega Millions should be paying out at least $2500 for matching 3+1.

* "Extraordinary circumstances" is defined as a near-record jackpot on a major holiday, on my birthday, or on February 29.

I also quit playing MM and PB unless they were near record JPs but did'nt have a fixed amount.

I like your phrase "Extraordinary circumstances"

Although I don't use holidays b-days and such, my extraordinary circumstances will be:

Near record JP when I happen to be visiting an anonymous state like Delaware.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
                              Member #158848
                              September 5, 2014
                              294 Posts
                              Posted: February 15, 2015, 4:20 am - IP Logged

I don't play MM or PB until the jackpots hit at least $250 million, and at least $100 thousand on Cash 5.

I like the fact that MM has kept their base ticket price at $1, but would like to see a smaller number matrix.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions