Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Race and the lottery

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 2 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
Ft. Washington, MD
United States
Member #159267
September 20, 2014
123 Posts
Posted: January 18, 2015, 4:05 am - IP Logged

To all posters. This is a very explosive topic. As much as i been watching a few of you holler about players from certain states winning so much, i thought a bit about race and the lottery. A few years ago, somewhere back in the 1990's, Ebony magazine did an article on whether the jackpot lotteries were skewered against black folks because so many whites were winning at the time. Now over the last ten years or so i have seen an uptick in the number of African American jackpot winners. In my estimate out of the 212 jackpot winners about 30 to 40 have been African American.

A black woman i spoke to a couple years back said well most black folks win a lot of smaller prizes, say 50,000 or a million but they aren't gonna make the news. Lol fair point enough.But today i find it interesting that a lot of Asians and Spanish are starting to creep up in the number of jackpot games winners. This wasn't happening years ago because i guess for some reasons i can't really say. What do you think?

United States
    Member #145267
    August 1, 2013
    1534 Posts
    Posted: January 18, 2015, 7:26 am - IP Logged

Just wondering, I see you live in Md. what areas win the most in Md.? Is it a mixed area, is it a area that has more of one race, is it a area that people are paid more ( a middle to high income area ), or just more people play in that winning area.

Sunny California
      United States
      Member #40295
      May 31, 2006
      7712 Posts
      Posted: January 18, 2015, 8:03 am - IP Logged

I'm sorry but the lottery machine doesn't know if you're black, white, Asian or from another planet. It all depends on who's playing when and who was lucky enough to have the right numbers at the time the machine spit out the numbers. I just don't see how race has anything to do with winning the lottery. If any of one race is playing more than another at any given time then they will probably win more,period.

str8ca$hhomie's avatar - Cash

United States
        Member #146028
        August 22, 2013
        842 Posts
        Posted: January 18, 2015, 8:03 am - IP Logged

To all posters. This is a very explosive topic. As much as i been watching a few of you holler about players from certain states winning so much, i thought a bit about race and the lottery. A few years ago, somewhere back in the 1990's, Ebony magazine did an article on whether the jackpot lotteries were skewered against black folks because so many whites were winning at the time. Now over the last ten years or so i have seen an uptick in the number of African American jackpot winners. In my estimate out of the 212 jackpot winners about 30 to 40 have been African American.

A black woman i spoke to a couple years back said well most black folks win a lot of smaller prizes, say 50,000 or a million but they aren't gonna make the news. Lol fair point enough.But today i find it interesting that a lot of Asians and Spanish are starting to creep up in the number of jackpot games winners. This wasn't happening years ago because i guess for some reasons i can't really say. What do you think?

I don't care if you're Black; White; Blue; Green; or Polka Dot anyone who allows the Lottery Commission to take a picture of you holding that big fat lottery check in my estimation is just asking for trouble. Perhaps the Ebony article reflects Black People finally approaching this dilemma more wisely.

BLIND TRUST, BABY, THE ONLY WAY TO GO !

Sometimes it's extremely difficult if not practically impossible to get people to disregard the smoke and mirrors.  Instead, they seem to enjoy the ride down the proverbial Garden Path....... helpless to extricate themselves from being totally deceived by known forces in their midst who would argue that they have come here for the sole purpose of helping people.......str8ca$hhomie

mr lottery's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          hasbrouck hgts
          United States
          Member #149651
          December 6, 2013
          17 Posts
          Posted: January 18, 2015, 9:19 am - IP Logged

because the    economy  is bad  and obama   needs to go lol

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
            Ohio
            United States
            Member #49980
            February 21, 2007
            34151 Posts
            Posted: January 18, 2015, 9:22 am - IP Logged

I'm sorry but the lottery machine doesn't know if you're black, white, Asian or from another planet. It all depends on who's playing when and who was lucky enough to have the right numbers at the time the machine spit out the numbers. I just don't see how race has anything to do with winning the lottery. If any of one race is playing more than another at any given time then they will probably win more,period.

I agree its all about Luck lottolaughs Happy New year!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

Ft. Washington, MD
              United States
              Member #159267
              September 20, 2014
              123 Posts
              Posted: January 18, 2015, 10:21 am - IP Logged

Just wondering, I see you live in Md. what areas win the most in Md.? Is it a mixed area, is it a area that has more of one race, is it a area that people are paid more ( a middle to high income area ), or just more people play in that winning area.

Well the way i see it PG county is abt 80 percent black and 20 -30 percent white. Where i live in my area its mixed. some middle income, some high.In recent years i seen a lot of spanish  move into the area. I would have to say more of the northern counties in maryland win more than the southern counties. The northern counties are near baltimore and the southern counties are the dc metro area. Some of the northern counties are more white than black. Some are evenly spread out. A lot of people play the games period. Hard for me to give an estimation. A lot of people in MD of either races is playing a game called racetrax like crazy. It's a video horse racing game. I have seen reports of people winning thousands and it supposedly has a good payout

Ft. Washington, MD
                United States
                Member #159267
                September 20, 2014
                123 Posts
                Posted: January 18, 2015, 10:27 am - IP Logged

I agree its all about Luck lottolaughs Happy New year!

Oh yeah i can see that Its dumb luck.  And like i said the topic is explosive. And it could be that african americans don't like playing the jackpot games in large numbers  fair enough point

Ft. Washington, MD
                  United States
                  Member #159267
                  September 20, 2014
                  123 Posts
                  Posted: January 18, 2015, 10:43 am - IP Logged

Hey i feel ya. lottolaughs. But years ago when the big jackpot games were just starting out and a lot of black folks were playing them, a lot of them became frustrated after a few years of no black winners. So hence the ebony article back then. But today it's an improvement nobody dares bring it up. As you can see on LP itself Wink Like you said its all about luck these days. Just dumb luck you in the right place at the right time.Cool

Ft. Washington, MD
                    United States
                    Member #159267
                    September 20, 2014
                    123 Posts
                    Posted: January 18, 2015, 10:57 am - IP Logged

I don't care if you're Black; White; Blue; Green; or Polka Dot anyone who allows the Lottery Commission to take a picture of you holding that big fat lottery check in my estimation is just asking for trouble. Perhaps the Ebony article reflects Black People finally approaching this dilemma more wisely.

BLIND TRUST, BABY, THE ONLY WAY TO GO !

LOLGreen laugh You are funny. i understand that. Yep Who wants the publicity of holding that big a**ed fat lottery check. All that money is gonna bring all kinds of trouble if people know what you got. Especially if you know too many people know you.  Get outta dodge ! But that's not what the article was about. Years ago when the big jackpot lotteries were just starting out, there were hardly any black winners of the huge jackpots. That left a lot of frustrated players back then and it begged the question. Hence the ebony article. Today is an improvement over those early years.

bigguy5's avatar - peace
                      charlotte.n.c
                      United States
                      Member #37585
                      April 17, 2006
                      365 Posts
                      Posted: January 18, 2015, 11:30 am - IP Logged

amen  it  don,t   an  i am  black   olddude   livied  in  ny   fo  25yrs  an  been  a gambler   all  my life 

it about  picking   the  right  numbers    ,

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                        Happyland
                        United States
                        Member #146344
                        September 1, 2013
                        1129 Posts
                        Posted: January 18, 2015, 11:49 am - IP Logged

This got me randomly thinking.....what if an extraterrestrial won the lottery? How would they claim the money? And for what use?

Green laugh

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                          Happy California
                          United States
                          Member #157856
                          August 2, 2014
                          1522 Posts
                          Posted: January 18, 2015, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

Dance Happy Reverend Martin Luther King jr. Day.  Thank you Reverend for the holiday on Monday. Sleep

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                            Member #142499
                            May 13, 2013
                            1186 Posts
                            Posted: January 18, 2015, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

Hey i feel ya. lottolaughs. But years ago when the big jackpot games were just starting out and a lot of black folks were playing them, a lot of them became frustrated after a few years of no black winners. So hence the ebony article back then. But today it's an improvement nobody dares bring it up. As you can see on LP itself Wink Like you said its all about luck these days. Just dumb luck you in the right place at the right time.Cool

I don't mean to be rude, but that makes no sense. What does "a lot" constitute? What are the actual number of people in each race playing and how many tickets are each race buying. "A lot" means nothing without context. 

Now, if one race was buying say 20% of the tickets but winning 70% of the time, then that would be something to question. But that's not going to happen, because that would be a statistical anomaly.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                              Columbus, Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #128906
                              June 5, 2012
                              592 Posts
                              Posted: January 18, 2015, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

I'm black and race has nothing to do with winning.