Welcome Guest
You last visited August 22, 2017, 8:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You Just Won The Lottery!

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 3 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
DetroitLionBoy's avatar - Detroit01

United States
Member #159085
September 12, 2014
113 Posts
Posted: January 26, 2015, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

The next day u found out that u won the mega millions worth over 300 million dollars! What are your steps before u cash in that ticket?

For me:
1) I wouldnt cash it in until i finish my semester here at the college as i want that to be done first
2) i would get a deposit box with my bank and leave it there until i feel ready
3) I would only tell my parents since i only trust them with a big secret
4) Lastly, Time to cash it in but rest of my family would not find out till i feel so.

thats my situation. Some would bring lawyers in and a accountant but thats if u wanna spend more which i dont want to since NY takes the heck of a tax of the winnings. Plan ahead and everything will fall into your hands

What would u do?

Hurray!

Cash 4 life 3/5 numbers= $25 (9/1/14)
TAKE 5 4/5 numbers= $775.00 (2/21/15)

im bound to win the jackpot!!  Cool

mikeintexas's avatar - h87TsB4
    Texas Panhandle
    United States
    Member #136843
    December 20, 2012
    1448 Posts
    Posted: January 26, 2015, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

The first thing you should do after winning, if you hadn't already, is sign the back of your ticket.  Then you need to make copies of both the front and back. 

Some would bring lawyers in and a accountant...

Those are the people I would bet will still have the bulk of their winnings after five/ten years.  If I won 100k or less, I wouldn't.  100+ million?  You bet your sweet bippy I'm going to get professional advice before claiming.

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
      Member #131594
      August 14, 2012
      171 Posts
      Posted: January 26, 2015, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

I would probably double check with an attorney and confirm my belief that a trust isn't necessary.  After that I would immediately go to lottery headquarters and cash in the ticket.  In my state I can claim the prize annoymously.  My husband would quietly retire.  I would keep my mouth shut and not tell anyone I won for several months just to muddy the waters so they wouldn't know exactly how much I had.  I figure family would probably figure out that my standard of living had changed so I would eventually have to mention it although I would also try to avoid telling them which game I won.  I would make a one time cash gift to my siblings.

With that much money I would sign up with Delta Private Jets, buy a tract of land where I can run my dogs without interference, and I would hire someone to shovel my snow!

Lotto Lucy

United States
        Member #159085
        September 12, 2014
        113 Posts
        Posted: January 26, 2015, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

I would probably double check with an attorney and confirm my belief that a trust isn't necessary.  After that I would immediately go to lottery headquarters and cash in the ticket.  In my state I can claim the prize annoymously.  My husband would quietly retire.  I would keep my mouth shut and not tell anyone I won for several months just to muddy the waters so they wouldn't know exactly how much I had.  I figure family would probably figure out that my standard of living had changed so I would eventually have to mention it although I would also try to avoid telling them which game I won.  I would make a one time cash gift to my siblings.

With that much money I would sign up with Delta Private Jets, buy a tract of land where I can run my dogs without interference, and I would hire someone to shovel my snow!

is their a site that lists which state can claim annoymously?

Texas Panhandle
          United States
          Member #136843
          December 20, 2012
          1448 Posts
          Posted: January 26, 2015, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

Six states — Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina — allow winners to remain anonymous.

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
            Member #131594
            August 14, 2012
            171 Posts
            Posted: January 26, 2015, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Six states — Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina — allow winners to remain anonymous.

I know Ohio is always included in that list but you can only be annoymous under a very specific set of circumstances.  Basically by having a blind trust claim the prize.  Shudder.  No way would I do that.  I guess I am a control freak but I wouldn't want others managing my money for me.

Lotto Lucy

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1313 Posts
              Posted: January 26, 2015, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

If the lottery ever gets past $750 million, I'm driving to SC to buy tickets so hopefully the whole going into hiding thing won't apply to me. Meet with a few financial advisors, ones that deal with high net worth and sudden wealth, and a lawyer. Work out a cover story, start my domestic violence foundation (that will be my new day job until I draw my last breath), buy dream house, dream car, travel whenever possible.

I know this is further along down the road than immediate aftermath, but immediate aftermath depends on if I win in an anonymous state or a public one. But my long-term plans haven't changed so that's easier to tell.

United States
                Member #159085
                September 12, 2014
                113 Posts
                Posted: January 26, 2015, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

If the lottery ever gets past $750 million, I'm driving to SC to buy tickets so hopefully the whole going into hiding thing won't apply to me. Meet with a few financial advisors, ones that deal with high net worth and sudden wealth, and a lawyer. Work out a cover story, start my domestic violence foundation (that will be my new day job until I draw my last breath), buy dream house, dream car, travel whenever possible.

I know this is further along down the road than immediate aftermath, but immediate aftermath depends on if I win in an anonymous state or a public one. But my long-term plans haven't changed so that's easier to tell.

hmm never considered doing a job with the money. i like that idea. I like working with kids so maybe after school sport activities free of entry if they have good academic standards

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                  Member #142499
                  May 13, 2013
                  1313 Posts
                  Posted: January 26, 2015, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

hmm never considered doing a job with the money. i like that idea. I like working with kids so maybe after school sport activities free of entry if they have good academic standards

A lot of winners say they felt lost (some even depressed) when they went from having a fulfilling job (one filled with purpose and responsibilities) to having nothing to do every day for years on end. Those who got into meaningful pursuits after winning seem to adjust better. Though I don't think this applies to those who hate their jobs. I would imagine it might be rather easy to spiral downhill if one lived an existence without anything to give you purpose or goals. Maybe not for the first year or two but perhaps 5 years down the road. This is a cause I believe in and if I had the funds to make it a reality, I'd definitely do it.

I too would prefer Cersei Lannister to Littlehands.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Chasing the Dream.
                    Utopia- California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4538 Posts
                    Posted: January 26, 2015, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

l " think" you would still be on the hook for exposure in your own State Teddi.You may be able to dodge the bullet in the SC- but your State is going to come after you for Taxes and who knows what else. Nothing like taking a shot at it nonetheless.Smile

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

JustJim's avatar - driver
                      SunPrairie Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #162093
                      December 21, 2014
                      146 Posts
                      Posted: January 27, 2015, 12:07 am - IP Logged

I'd definitely bring another financial adviser (or two) on board besides the one I've already got...I'd probably try to work out some kind of arrangement with an attorney's office to see if I could get them to front me the purchase money for my house (with security system) to be titled in the name of a blind trust prior to claiming the prize.  After that, it would be time for new cell phones, phone numbers, email addresses and a makeover.  I'm probably forgetting some details, but boy, what problems to have, huh?  It would be a blast to be able to fund yourself to learn something new, whether it's a new small business, or try some day trading, or flipping cars or houses.  I'd probably have to spend a few weeks on some tropical beach thinking over my plans! Leaving

GO BREWERS!!

Texas Panhandle
                        United States
                        Member #136843
                        December 20, 2012
                        1448 Posts
                        Posted: January 27, 2015, 12:51 am - IP Logged

I'd definitely bring another financial adviser (or two) on board besides the one I've already got...I'd probably try to work out some kind of arrangement with an attorney's office to see if I could get them to front me the purchase money for my house (with security system) to be titled in the name of a blind trust prior to claiming the prize.  After that, it would be time for new cell phones, phone numbers, email addresses and a makeover.  I'm probably forgetting some details, but boy, what problems to have, huh?  It would be a blast to be able to fund yourself to learn something new, whether it's a new small business, or try some day trading, or flipping cars or houses.  I'd probably have to spend a few weeks on some tropical beach thinking over my plans! Leaving

^ This. I Agree!  I just had a series of PMs with an LP member and said this very thing in the last message.  You're never too old to learn - I would take cooking and photography classes, learn to fly and sail, maybe take up needlepoint or quilting.  Even though I'd let reputable professionals handle the bulk of a huge JP, I'd invest a goodly sum on my own, one large enough to be exciting, but not so large as to really hurt if I lost most or all of it...just one of the several hobbies I'd take up.   I can't fathom growing bored or being disinterested...I'm poor as a church mouse now and will never be bored and disinterested, how could I be that way with more money than I'd ever had in my life?

Most of all, I'd invest not only in myself, but in my family and friends and the town I grew up in and the one I'd live in after I won...but I'd still want to keep learning.  I hope that, as I lay on my deathbed and the light leaves my eyes and I start to see whatever lies beyond this mortal coil, that my last words will be "Wow....I never knew that!"

United States
                          Member #163309
                          January 25, 2015
                          18 Posts
                          Posted: January 27, 2015, 12:57 am - IP Logged

Lurking i used to buy tickets and just throw them away without checking them figuring that i didn't win. it always seems to be somebody else who wins etc. also before personal computers it seemed like a major pain to someone who was busy like me to check them. so i probably threw away millions!?I Agree!

United States
                            Member #163309
                            January 25, 2015
                            18 Posts
                            Posted: January 27, 2015, 1:03 am - IP Logged

Blush what about Publisher's Clearing House? is that a friggin' rip off or what?White Bounce

numbergirly's avatar - 0002009C
                              Dover, Delaware
                              United States
                              Member #26979
                              November 25, 2005
                              178 Posts
                              Posted: January 27, 2015, 1:13 am - IP Logged

Once I collect myself......which would take at least two weeks, I would contact no one but a lawyer and a very good  accountant and try my best to keep my name/photo out of the spot light.Wink

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS   Ice Water