Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You Just Won The Lottery!

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 2 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
numbergirly's avatar - 0002009C
Dover, Delaware
United States
Member #26979
November 25, 2005
178 Posts
Posted: January 27, 2015, 1:16 am - IP Logged

Blush what about Publisher's Clearing House? is that a friggin' rip off or what?White Bounce

I don't think so but, it is as hard or harder to win than the powerball and like it says you do not have to make a purchase

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS   Ice Water 

Dover, Delaware
    United States
    Member #26979
    November 25, 2005
    178 Posts
    Posted: January 27, 2015, 1:18 am - IP Logged

Lurking i used to buy tickets and just throw them away without checking them figuring that i didn't win. it always seems to be somebody else who wins etc. also before personal computers it seemed like a major pain to someone who was busy like me to check them. so i probably threw away millions!?I Agree!

ROFL OMG moose59.....seriously?

Dover, Delaware
      United States
      Member #26979
      November 25, 2005
      178 Posts
      Posted: January 27, 2015, 1:21 am - IP Logged

Six states — Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina — allow winners to remain anonymous.

that's right and pay no taxes on purchases

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
        nc
        United States
        Member #99520
        October 26, 2010
        375 Posts
        Posted: January 27, 2015, 10:04 am - IP Logged

If the lottery ever gets past $750 million, I'm driving to SC to buy tickets so hopefully the whole going into hiding thing won't apply to me. Meet with a few financial advisors, ones that deal with high net worth and sudden wealth, and a lawyer. Work out a cover story, start my domestic violence foundation (that will be my new day job until I draw my last breath), buy dream house, dream car, travel whenever possible.

I know this is further along down the road than immediate aftermath, but immediate aftermath depends on if I win in an anonymous state or a public one. But my long-term plans haven't changed so that's easier to tell.

Sorry, only the residents of the state of SC get that privilidge!  Press can ask for a nonresidents name to be released by the Freedom of Information act, and it will be.  So you would have to rent an apartment and get a SC drivers license to claim it as a resident!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4108 Posts
          Posted: January 27, 2015, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

Sorry, only the residents of the state of SC get that privilidge!  Press can ask for a nonresidents name to be released by the Freedom of Information act, and it will be.  So you would have to rent an apartment and get a SC drivers license to claim it as a resident!

Well Teddi it seems l was 17% right on you attempting to  collect your lottery winnings in another State.....Big Smile And trying to get away with it anonymously.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
            Happy California
            United States
            Member #157856
            August 2, 2014
            1514 Posts
            Posted: January 27, 2015, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

Smile  I just called my local lottery office here in Central California. I asked Robert, an employee there, about the sixty day window to decide on the choice of Lump Sum or the Annuity. He finally figured out what I was talking about and said,"The clock starts when they scan the winning ticket at their office". 

When I do win I will have plenty  more questions for Robert.  Party

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
              JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
              Member #141034
              April 2, 2013
              1408 Posts
              Posted: January 27, 2015, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

I suggest you stay in school. Hand over the ticket to your parents to worry about claiming. Split it in half with your parents. Your half stays in the bank, and your parents half is used to take care of the family, like they used to do before the windfall. There is an incredible amount of pressure involved with that level of windfall. Then just kick back and enjoy your young life. You will be the coolest kid in school. Sweet dreams, and happy jackpot hunting.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                Lavender Rocket

United States
                Member #124616
                March 16, 2012
                2642 Posts
                Posted: January 27, 2015, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

big win...  cash it in and dash.  (my state doesnt allow anonymity) - my family might have a bit of a problem as they will still be here, but that would be their choice to dash with me or stay and be bothered (no I do not have the money, my kid sister does.  no I do not know where she is...)

I would take my immediate family (dh, 4 kids & spouses, & 3 g'kids) go to the west coast (California or Oregon or Washington state) and buy a home compound on a cliff overlooking the ocean.  everything else I would figure out as I went. 

Of course this is AFTER I get a platinum membership here.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                  Member #121745
                  January 16, 2012
                  4791 Posts
                  Posted: January 27, 2015, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

big win...  cash it in and dash.  (my state doesnt allow anonymity) - my family might have a bit of a problem as they will still be here, but that would be their choice to dash with me or stay and be bothered (no I do not have the money, my kid sister does.  no I do not know where she is...)

I would take my immediate family (dh, 4 kids & spouses, & 3 g'kids) go to the west coast (California or Oregon or Washington state) and buy a home compound on a cliff overlooking the ocean.  everything else I would figure out as I went. 

Of course this is AFTER I get a platinum membership here.

lol  Ever check out the zillow listings for Malibu? I like to look at those homes.

J'aime La France.

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                    Republic of Texas
                    United States
                    Member #57557
                    January 9, 2008
                    1095 Posts
                    Posted: January 27, 2015, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

^ This. I Agree!  I just had a series of PMs with an LP member and said this very thing in the last message.  You're never too old to learn - I would take cooking and photography classes, learn to fly and sail, maybe take up needlepoint or quilting.  Even though I'd let reputable professionals handle the bulk of a huge JP, I'd invest a goodly sum on my own, one large enough to be exciting, but not so large as to really hurt if I lost most or all of it...just one of the several hobbies I'd take up.   I can't fathom growing bored or being disinterested...I'm poor as a church mouse now and will never be bored and disinterested, how could I be that way with more money than I'd ever had in my life?

Most of all, I'd invest not only in myself, but in my family and friends and the town I grew up in and the one I'd live in after I won...but I'd still want to keep learning.  I hope that, as I lay on my deathbed and the light leaves my eyes and I start to see whatever lies beyond this mortal coil, that my last words will be "Wow....I never knew that!"

Oh I would never be bored either. Agree on the cooking & photography lessons! I'd also take piano lessons. I've always wanted to learn.  :)  Plus, I'd probably get back into show horses, not as a rider, but as an owner. I love the atmosphere at the horse shows. I'd also like to do thinks like donate anonymously.. kids sports equipment, pay off Toys R Us layaways at Christmas, help families with unexpected hospital/funeral expenses, etc, - just wherever I see someone that needs a helping hand.

As to collecting a jackpot over $10m cash, the first phone call would be an estate/tax lawyer, and get hooked up with someone with experience with sudden wealth. All with the goal of minimizing tax exposure the first year, and once my kids inherit. I'd also like to keep my name (last name at least) and face out of the publicity as much as possible, even if I have to wear a disguise at the lottery office. Under $10m cash, I'd just contact my current financial adviser to handle investments and establishing a budget distribution that will work for what I'd like to do for the rest of my life.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                      Member #142499
                      May 13, 2013
                      1183 Posts
                      Posted: January 27, 2015, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

How much time does SC allow for you to claim a ticket, because renting a place and getting a DL there seems like a small price to pay to not have your life turn into a zoo.

Truth be told, having a journalist publish my name only would be okay. My first and last names are so common that there are always a couple people with my name at every large company I've worked at. So expand that to city size and I'd be like a straw of hay hiding in a haystack. Good luck to anyone trying to find me for money with just my city and name.  Unless they get a hold of the surveillance video, I think I'll be ok. But I believe my state makes you do a news conference so SC is still a better choice to me.

I know you don't have to give a press conference in Florida but look what they did to Gloria; sneakily calling the press while she was doing paperwork. They are not to be trusted.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                        Member #142499
                        May 13, 2013
                        1183 Posts
                        Posted: January 27, 2015, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

^ This. I Agree!  I just had a series of PMs with an LP member and said this very thing in the last message.  You're never too old to learn - I would take cooking and photography classes, learn to fly and sail, maybe take up needlepoint or quilting.  Even though I'd let reputable professionals handle the bulk of a huge JP, I'd invest a goodly sum on my own, one large enough to be exciting, but not so large as to really hurt if I lost most or all of it...just one of the several hobbies I'd take up.   I can't fathom growing bored or being disinterested...I'm poor as a church mouse now and will never be bored and disinterested, how could I be that way with more money than I'd ever had in my life?

Most of all, I'd invest not only in myself, but in my family and friends and the town I grew up in and the one I'd live in after I won...but I'd still want to keep learning.  I hope that, as I lay on my deathbed and the light leaves my eyes and I start to see whatever lies beyond this mortal coil, that my last words will be "Wow....I never knew that!"

Like I said, it seems that the ones who get bored and listless are the ones who had jobs that gave them their purpose. Take that away and they feel lost. I can empathize, because I have an aunt who is forever talking about retirement, but whenever she gets more than a week off for vacation goes stir crazy and wants to go back to work. We already know that retirement is going to be hard for her when it happens. She won't know what to do with herself. I imagine it's like that with some winners. They need something to do every single day.

I like your attitude and your ideas. I plan to take a cooking class too, as well as a pastry course. I started learning sign language years ago, I'd want to pick that back up. I'd also take more advanced courses in pottery making. That was loads of fun. I met a multi-millionaire recently. He opened the breast cancer ward at the hospital, funded the startup for a clinic, and donates heavily to schools and domestic violence programs. Told me to always stay busy and always be in a position to learn something new. I'd definitely try to emulate him.

TinkerMazell's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                          Augusta, Georgia
                          United States
                          Member #127854
                          May 10, 2012
                          81 Posts
                          Posted: January 28, 2015, 3:19 am - IP Logged

Very good question! I live in Georgia near the border of Georgia and South Carolina. I play in both states.  For some reason, I win more often in Georgia, but I make it a point to purchase PB and MM tickets in South Carolina for the simple fact of the option to remain anonymous.  Can you believe that I've actually purchased tickets and gas at the store in Lexington, SC that sold that big jackpot in 2013? I didn't get tickets for that particular draw, though. That person chose to remain anonymous.  I didn't know you had to be a resident to remain anonymous! No fair! lol

I would go to the bank, and ask for some money to hold me over for a few weeks while I packed up and moved, get things in order with accountants, atty's etc.  Any bank would probably let you do that especially if you let them keep the ticket in their safe deposit box.  After that I'd go ahead and publicly claim it. I'd much rather remain anonymous, though.

I am a $20,000 winner from a Georgia Lottery scratch off game called "$3,000,000 Taxes Paid"!

United States
                            Member #163309
                            January 25, 2015
                            18 Posts
                            Posted: January 28, 2015, 10:05 am - IP Logged

yeh really numbergirly!?Jester

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
                              nc
                              United States
                              Member #99520
                              October 26, 2010
                              375 Posts