Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You Just Won The Lottery!

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 2 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #163309
January 25, 2015
18 Posts
Posted: January 28, 2015, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

Shocked how did u claim it tinkermazell? mail it in? go in person??

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
    Nova Scotia
    Canada
    Member #9934
    December 27, 2004
    884 Posts
    Posted: January 28, 2015, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

If I won a large amount in the lottery, I would thank God and then my parent's who died a long time ago; for helping me, as I feel them around spiritually all the time. Then I would jump up and down, and do a lottery dance,.

And then I would remember what some millionaire's said, that have won the lottery about not giving money to friend's and family,because those people would ask for more money..

Instead give money to some charities..And that is what I would do..

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
      Member #142499
      May 13, 2013
      1182 Posts
      Posted: January 28, 2015, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

It is 180 days. Don't be late!!

Oh yeah. 6 months is more than enough time for me to establish residency. I'd do it.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

Jackpot!'s avatar - Jackpot

United States
        Member #163339
        January 27, 2015
        6 Posts
        Posted: January 28, 2015, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

The next day u found out that u won the mega millions worth over 300 million dollars! What are your steps before u cash in that ticket?

For me:
        1) I wouldnt cash it in until i finish my semester here at the college as i want that to be done first
        2) i would get a deposit box with my bank and leave it there until i feel ready
        3) I would only tell my parents since i only trust them with a big secret
        4) Lastly, Time to cash it in but rest of my family would not find out till i feel so.

thats my situation. Some would bring lawyers in and a accountant but thats if u wanna spend more which i dont want to since NY takes the heck of a tax of the winnings. Plan ahead and everything will fall into your hands

What would u do?

Hurray!

1) Call the claims center and confirm.

2) Photo copy winning ticket.

3) Tell the Mrs. we're calling in sick this morning.

4) Book a weekend spa & jacuzzi suite near claims center.Wink

5) Drive out to the claims center.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4104 Posts
          Posted: January 28, 2015, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

And then I would remember what some millionaire's said, that have won the lottery about not giving money to friend's and family,because those people would ask for more money..

So this " Millionaire's advice" is to not give money to family and friends.....but to Total Strangers? Did you get this advice from this person in a prior existence Elizabeth?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

TinkerMazell's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
            Augusta, Georgia
            United States
            Member #127854
            May 10, 2012
            81 Posts
            Posted: January 29, 2015, 2:49 am - IP Logged

Shocked how did u claim it tinkermazell? mail it in? go in person??

How did I claim what?

I am a $20,000 winner from a Georgia Lottery scratch off game called "$3,000,000 Taxes Paid"!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
              Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #82391
              November 12, 2009
              6290 Posts
              Posted: January 29, 2015, 6:10 am - IP Logged

First I would faint Thudthen I would thank God Blue Angel.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #129225
                June 13, 2012
                546 Posts
                Posted: January 29, 2015, 6:37 am - IP Logged

So this " Millionaire's advice" is to not give money to family and friends.....but to Total Strangers? Did you get this advice from this person in a prior existence Elizabeth?

That is exactly what I thought Noise-Gate!  And they think charities won't come back for more?  Once you get on a charities list you never get off!  Family first always!

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                  Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #104962
                  January 23, 2011
                  1075 Posts
                  Posted: January 29, 2015, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

If the lottery ever gets past $750 million, I'm driving to SC to buy tickets so hopefully the whole going into hiding thing won't apply to me. Meet with a few financial advisors, ones that deal with high net worth and sudden wealth, and a lawyer. Work out a cover story, start my domestic violence foundation (that will be my new day job until I draw my last breath), buy dream house, dream car, travel whenever possible.

I know this is further along down the road than immediate aftermath, but immediate aftermath depends on if I win in an anonymous state or a public one. But my long-term plans haven't changed so that's easier to tell.

Let me point out one thing, if you win a jackpot that has exceeded a previous jackpot, you will be pretty popular with the media.

Trump 2016!

United States
                    Member #142499
                    May 13, 2013
                    1182 Posts
                    Posted: January 29, 2015, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

Let me point out one thing, if you win a jackpot that has exceeded a previous jackpot, you will be pretty popular with the media.

Not if I win in an anonymous state Drum

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

United States
                      Member #142499
                      May 13, 2013
                      1182 Posts
                      Posted: January 29, 2015, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

First I would faint Thudthen I would thank God Blue Angel.

I Agree! I'd like to change my previous answer to this

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                        Wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #104962
                        January 23, 2011
                        1075 Posts
                        Posted: January 29, 2015, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

Not if I win in an anonymous state Drum

Yep, for those lucky enough to be blessed with living in a state where you can claim anonymously.

Trump 2016!

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3474 Posts
                          Posted: January 30, 2015, 5:18 am - IP Logged

^ This. I Agree!  I just had a series of PMs with an LP member and said this very thing in the last message.  You're never too old to learn - I would take cooking and photography classes, learn to fly and sail, maybe take up needlepoint or quilting.  Even though I'd let reputable professionals handle the bulk of a huge JP, I'd invest a goodly sum on my own, one large enough to be exciting, but not so large as to really hurt if I lost most or all of it...just one of the several hobbies I'd take up.   I can't fathom growing bored or being disinterested...I'm poor as a church mouse now and will never be bored and disinterested, how could I be that way with more money than I'd ever had in my life?

Most of all, I'd invest not only in myself, but in my family and friends and the town I grew up in and the one I'd live in after I won...but I'd still want to keep learning.  I hope that, as I lay on my deathbed and the light leaves my eyes and I start to see whatever lies beyond this mortal coil, that my last words will be "Wow....I never knew that!"

Other people will have different interests, but I can't understand how people can think they need a job to keep themselves busy or entertained when they've got enough money to do things that  so many people can only dream about.

Traveling around the US and Canada is fairly cheap, so you only even need a big jackpot to do a lot of travel. A bit more and you can fly frequently to see places you can't drive to. Given a relatively modest jackpot I'd also learn to fly. With the net from this Saturday's PB I'd give extremely serious thought to a plane with enough range to easily get to the Caribbean. I'd figure 1000 hours before being comfortable in that, so perhaps a couple of years flying very regularly. I'm already comfortable sailing something in the 30' range locally, but I'd probably take lessons to be a truly competent captain for cruising the Caribbean. Ship a boat to the Pacific and there are enough islands to cruise for 20 years. I'd also go the photography route, and finally learn to really do serious post processing work.

One of my problems if I won a sizable jackpot would be not having enough time for all the things I'd be interested in doing.