Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Will a lotto win bring happiness or satisfaction in your life.

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 2 years ago by nist7seven.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1182 Posts
Posted: February 5, 2015, 7:17 am - IP Logged

I'd like to say a lottery win would bring happiness and satisfaction but someone made a very wise post once when they said when you come into a lot of money you just trade one set of problems for an entirely different set of problems.

True, except the problems that come with money are a lot easier to handle than the problems that arise from having no money. I'd much rather have the money problems.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
    Member #9517
    December 10, 2004
    1272 Posts
    Posted: February 5, 2015, 9:41 am - IP Logged

It will remove money issues and give me resources left to find happiness and satisfaction.

SammyJoe10's avatar - disney37
      Middle of Nowhere NC
      United States
      Member #151289
      January 12, 2014
      428 Posts
      Posted: February 5, 2015, 10:13 am - IP Logged

It would certainly bring me happiness because I refuse to surround myself with ignorant people. I don't even want a mansion, exotic cars, etc. I just want to live the rest of my life with financial freedom and help the needy.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
        Member #118609
        November 4, 2011
        932 Posts
        Posted: February 5, 2015, 10:36 am - IP Logged

Let me win so I can find out!  I am thinking satisfaction.  There is more happiness in helping others.

Helping family, friends, church, wounded military and some feel good paying it forwards.

My wants and needs have changed dramatically since getting older.  A definite move, one new car, maybe a truck for hauling plants/ gardening, living off the grid, having some land, security and peace and quiet and  some travel.  Sounds like a perfect life being low key.  Net $185 mil. Is an awful lot of money  ......   if I were to win, it would be split three ways, but even with that it is still a tremendous amount of money.

Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Ft. Washington, MD
          United States
          Member #159267
          September 20, 2014
          123 Posts
          Posted: February 5, 2015, 11:04 am - IP Logged

True, except the problems that come with money are a lot easier to handle than the problems that arise from having no money. I'd much rather have the money problems.

I Agree! now i gotta go with you on this one makes much sense to me. Imagine all the problems i have that require money that i don't have will stress you out but when you do have it, its much easier to deal with.

EZMONEE's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
            Pick3 Analyst
            All States
            United States
            Member #106260
            February 15, 2011
            17205 Posts
            Posted: February 5, 2015, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

Mo Money Mo Problems!!

Type EZ$

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1182 Posts
              Posted: February 5, 2015, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! now i gotta go with you on this one makes much sense to me. Imagine all the problems i have that require money that i don't have will stress you out but when you do have it, its much easier to deal with.

That's my view. Those people who can't find happiness and satisfaction with a boatload of money have never been broke.

Being able to pay for top-notch healthcare, education, being able to empathize with those who have nothing but be in a position to change their lives, having the freedom to do what you want (and love) every single day and not what you have to...oh yes, don't be fooled, money can buy happiness. The happiness isn't in  the money itself, it's that it allows you to do and accomplish the things which bring satisfaction, pride and joy. 

And as much as I despise the lottery forcing fame on lucky winners, that's still a much better problem to have than being broke. I'll do what the Morrison's did, hire a security detail for a while once my name goes public, then I'll go to another state until the furor dies down. They went to Hawaii for two weeks. Being forced to go to Hawaii, oh yeah, I like rich people problems.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: February 5, 2015, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

That's my view. Those people who can't find happiness and satisfaction with a boatload of money have never been broke.

Being able to pay for top-notch healthcare, education, being able to empathize with those who have nothing but be in a position to change their lives, having the freedom to do what you want (and love) every single day and not what you have to...oh yes, don't be fooled, money can buy happiness. The happiness isn't in  the money itself, it's that it allows you to do and accomplish the things which bring satisfaction, pride and joy. 

And as much as I despise the lottery forcing fame on lucky winners, that's still a much better problem to have than being broke. I'll do what the Morrison's did, hire a security detail for a while once my name goes public, then I'll go to another state until the furor dies down. They went to Hawaii for two weeks. Being forced to go to Hawaii, oh yeah, I like rich people problems.

I agree. When someone is stressing over how to pay the bills, buy food, pay the rent, pay off medical bills etc.,  that definitely can cause a lot of unhappiness in someone's life. A lottery win would solve a lot of problems that many people have and would help with someone living a happier and less stressful life.

Like the saying goes. I'd rather be rich and unhappy then broke and unhappy.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
                  Member #142499
                  May 13, 2013
                  1182 Posts
                  Posted: February 5, 2015, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

I agree. When someone is stressing over how to pay the bills, buy food, pay the rent, pay off medical bills etc.,  that definitely can cause a lot of unhappiness in someone's life. A lottery win would solve a lot of problems that many people have and would help with someone living a happier and less stressful life.

Like the saying goes. I'd rather be rich and unhappy then broke and unhappy.

Hit the nail on the head there

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
                    Ontario
                    Canada
                    Member #109243
                    April 9, 2011
                    31437 Posts
                    Posted: February 5, 2015, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

To the OP's question. No, the lottery will not bring you happiness or satisfaction in your life.

Money can only give you the opportunity to be happy but there are zero guarantees in life. You could have a billion dollars in the bank and you could be driving around in your 2 million dollar Bugatti Veyron and then get crushed to death by a falling airplane. You think it's impossible? It almost happened to a taxi driver today in Taiwan. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/transasia-ge235-crash-pictures-show-taxi-driver-hit-by-aircraft-walking-away-from-vehicle-10022618.html

Always The Optimist

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                      Republic of Texas
                      United States
                      Member #57557
                      January 9, 2008
                      1095 Posts
                      Posted: February 5, 2015, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

This.

I've got happiness. Satisfaction.. yes, but not where cost of living is concerned. There's a lot I worry about now and in the future that centers around money. To take that burden away is what a lottery win would do for me.  I've got plenty of 'things'.  I don't have financial security. I'd like for my children to not have to worry about finances either. Or my siblings. To take away those worries would bring more happiness into my life.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
                        Ontario
                        Canada
                        Member #109243
                        April 9, 2011
                        31437 Posts
                        Posted: February 5, 2015, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                          Texas Panhandle
                          United States
                          Member #136843
                          December 20, 2012
                          1269 Posts
                          Posted: February 5, 2015, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

This.

I've got happiness. Satisfaction.. yes, but not where cost of living is concerned. There's a lot I worry about now and in the future that centers around money. To take that burden away is what a lottery win would do for me.  I've got plenty of 'things'.  I don't have financial security. I'd like for my children to not have to worry about finances either. Or my siblings. To take away those worries would bring more happiness into my life.

And I'll say "This." to both your post and the one to which you replied.

It's an old joke, but while it's true money can't buy happiness, you can definitely afford to rent it after winning a JP.   Sure, I'll worry about the crazies and nutjobs at first, but if someone tries to break into my home for money that's not there but in the bank, I will have an unpleasant surprise for them.  Get plenty of liability insurance on your property and vehicles, you can afford it now.  Unless you hand out cards that say "Multi-Millionaire" with your address and phone # on them, the privacy concerns will lessen after time and then your biggest worry will be hanging onto your money...and I'm gonna sock mine away in the safest places I can and not fret over how much I can make off it.

United States
                            Member #142499
                            May 13, 2013
                            1182 Posts
                            Posted: February 6, 2015, 7:44 am - IP Logged

To the OP's question. No, the lottery will not bring you happiness or satisfaction in your life.

Money can only give you the opportunity to be happy but there are zero guarantees in life. You could have a billion dollars in the bank and you could be driving around in your 2 million dollar Bugatti Veyron and then get crushed to death by a falling airplane. You think it's impossible? It almost happened to a taxi driver today in Taiwan. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/transasia-ge235-crash-pictures-show-taxi-driver-hit-by-aircraft-walking-away-from-vehicle-10022618.html

If you're dead, then your state of happiness is a moot point. 

I had a friend who worked for a lottery winner as a private companion / health care worker. The winner had come down with a degenerative disease. Her take was that it was a pretty sad he won all that money and was now sick. She made some comment about the lottery curse. I thought she was nuts. The guy was always going to get the disease, the difference is that now he could afford the best healthcare and around the clock private nurses. That's called a blessing! Something that should be a cause for happiness.

It's not that nothing bad ever happens to a lottery winner, it's just that when it does, they're in a much better position to handle those events. If that peace of mind doesn't bring you even a modicum of satisfaction or happiness then something's wrong. As for dying in a freak accident, if it's your time, it's just your time. I guarantee I'll be happy leaving my mansion in that Bugatti  right up to the point of impact

California
                              United States
                              Member #141204
                              April 7, 2013
                              280 Posts
                              Posted: February 6, 2015, 9:22 am - IP Logged

If you're dead, then your state of happiness is a moot point. 

I had a friend who worked for a lottery winner as a private companion / health care worker. The winner had come down with a degenerative disease. Her take was that it was a pretty sad he won all that money and was now sick. She made some comment about the lottery curse. I thought she was nuts. The guy was always going to get the disease, the difference is that now he could afford the best healthcare and around the clock private nurses. That's called a blessing! Something that should be a cause for happiness.

It's not that nothing bad ever happens to a lottery winner, it's just that when it does, they're in a much better position to handle those events. If that peace of mind doesn't bring you even a modicum of satisfaction or happiness then something's wrong. As for dying in a freak accident, if it's your time, it's just your time. I guarantee I'll be happy leaving my mansion in that Bugatti  right up to the point of impact

Most people think if they win a boatload of cash, then they are guaranteed happiness. Money doesn't make people immune to tragic events. That was all I was saying. Nothing more nothing less.