Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How are Mega/Powerball numbers generated regarding lotto games.

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 2 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
CALI
Afghanistan
Member #118735
November 6, 2011
134 Posts
Posted: February 24, 2015, 12:38 am - IP Logged

Do they come from a centralized Blade Server such as an Oracle/SQL Database that uses an Algorithmic number generator or does the local machine where you buy them do all this.

There have been times when I went to buy ticks and they said their lotto machine was down, so I walked down the street to another liquor store and theirs were down also.

I would assume that all these local devise probably reach back to 1 Master VM server running hundreds of physical servers…

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: February 24, 2015, 1:23 am - IP Logged

Do they come from a centralized Blade Server such as an Oracle/SQL Database that uses an Algorithmic number generator or does the local machine where you buy them do all this.

There have been times when I went to buy ticks and they said their lotto machine was down, so I walked down the street to another liquor store and theirs were down also.

I would assume that all these local devise probably reach back to 1 Master VM server running hundreds of physical servers…

In my area lottery tickets are brought from terminals that are connected by satellite to the state computer and when one in town has trouble, they all do.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #104962
      January 23, 2011
      1075 Posts
      Posted: February 24, 2015, 8:44 am - IP Logged

In my area lottery tickets are brought from terminals that are connected by satellite to the state computer and when one in town has trouble, they all do.

How very interesting.  The plot thickens...

Trump 2016!

United States
        Member #161539
        December 3, 2014
        328 Posts
        Posted: February 24, 2015, 9:31 am - IP Logged

This is something that I also have wondered about ... do the "self serve" terminals have their own Random Number Generators or are the QP numbers coming from lottery headquarters ... so that there is only one RNG in the whole state producing QP numbers.

Therefore it doesn't make any difference whether a person buys a QP ticket from a "human being terminal" or a "self serve terminal" ... those numbers are all generated from lottery headquarters ???

This Florida PowerBall story has always facinated me ... much like the many winners years ago playing numbers from a fortune cookie.

In 2012 ...

Four $1M Powerball tickets sold in same county, at same chain.

The odds of winning at least $1 million by matching the first five numbers in a Powerball drawing are 1 in 5.15 million. Four people beat those odds in Florida this week.

In the same county. Buying from the same grocery chain.

Four tickets bought from a Publix store in separate cities in South Florida's Broward County matched the first five numbers drawn on Wednesday night, said David Bishop, Florida Lottery deputy secretary.

Each of the tickets was a "quick pick," meaning the numbers were automatically selected at the time of purchase and none of the winners chose the numbers themselves, Bishop said.

Asked if the machines would be checked for any irregularities, Bishop said that "from an integrity standpoint, we always check that information." But the lottery doesn't suspect anything out of the ordinary beyond a statistical fluke.

"It's statistically improbable, but not statistically impossible," Bishop said. "We do our due diligence, but we see nothing other than an improbability that came true."

The four $1 million tickets in Broward County – sold at Publix stores in Coral Springs, Plantation, Weston and Pembroke Pines – were among seven that won nationwide Wednesday, according to Powerball officials.

Broward County, which includes Fort Lauderdale, is Florida's second most populous county. Publix is Florida Lottery's largest retailer, according to Bishop.

... in the article it mentions about "machines" (plural) being checked ... why would that matter, the "machines" are only going to print what is being generated at lottery headquarters from one RNG ... so there should only be one machine or one area to check ... no, yes?

... none of the winners knew each other, I could possibly see four winners with the same numbers scattered all over Florida but for all those winners to be in one county ... I guess it's just a fluke that the RNG spit out the same numbers in that area only. So anything can happen ... this just happened with the PA Treasure Hunt in late Nov ... a set of five numbers repeated in less than a week but what is interesting is that when the numbers came out on Nov 24th, there was only one winning ticket but when the numbers came out again on Nov 30th there were five winning tickets.

Did the original winner on Nov 24th play more tickets, did others decide to play that particular set of numbers again for a few days or did the PA Lottery RNG spit out QPs of those same numbers ???

Those Treasure Hunt numbers had never come out before.

Mon Nov 24, 2014    02-05-08-11-12

Sun, Nov 30, 2014    02-05-08-11-12

CW

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
          Happyland
          United States
          Member #146344
          September 1, 2013
          1129 Posts
          Posted: February 24, 2015, 9:57 am - IP Logged

I am almost certain that the individual terminals generate the numbers. Why? Think about how many numbers are being generated everywhere at any given moment (but especially during record sales). The network would be incapable of receiving the request for a QP then sending back that number. If I'm not mistaken, the process goes 1) player requests QP, 2) machine generates QP and validates, 3) sends to network. Also, think about cases where multiple duplicates on same ticket...lottery has always dismissed it as faulty machine (not faulty network). I could be far off here but in the case of MMC I know that the "central computer" does (did) not generate the states' players' numbers. The fact that all terminals in town having trouble is just indication of problem with the network that receives ticket data....if issue with network, player's ticket cannot be processed. Where I live this is very rare. Usually the individual terminals only go down.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
          P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4110 Posts
            Posted: February 24, 2015, 10:02 am - IP Logged

Are you " Saying" that you think the lottery is Rigged CW? Are you also saying that the balls that are spinning around " knew" that they heading to winners in Florida? - if so, How?

Just asking. ...

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              Texas
              United States
              Member #55889
              October 23, 2007
              5615 Posts
              Posted: February 24, 2015, 10:16 am - IP Logged

This is something that I also have wondered about ... do the "self serve" terminals have their own Random Number Generators or are the QP numbers coming from lottery headquarters ... so that there is only one RNG in the whole state producing QP numbers.

Therefore it doesn't make any difference whether a person buys a QP ticket from a "human being terminal" or a "self serve terminal" ... those numbers are all generated from lottery headquarters ???

This Florida PowerBall story has always facinated me ... much like the many winners years ago playing numbers from a fortune cookie.

In 2012 ...

Four $1M Powerball tickets sold in same county, at same chain.

The odds of winning at least $1 million by matching the first five numbers in a Powerball drawing are 1 in 5.15 million. Four people beat those odds in Florida this week.

In the same county. Buying from the same grocery chain.

Four tickets bought from a Publix store in separate cities in South Florida's Broward County matched the first five numbers drawn on Wednesday night, said David Bishop, Florida Lottery deputy secretary.

Each of the tickets was a "quick pick," meaning the numbers were automatically selected at the time of purchase and none of the winners chose the numbers themselves, Bishop said.

Asked if the machines would be checked for any irregularities, Bishop said that "from an integrity standpoint, we always check that information." But the lottery doesn't suspect anything out of the ordinary beyond a statistical fluke.

"It's statistically improbable, but not statistically impossible," Bishop said. "We do our due diligence, but we see nothing other than an improbability that came true."

The four $1 million tickets in Broward County – sold at Publix stores in Coral Springs, Plantation, Weston and Pembroke Pines – were among seven that won nationwide Wednesday, according to Powerball officials.

Broward County, which includes Fort Lauderdale, is Florida's second most populous county. Publix is Florida Lottery's largest retailer, according to Bishop.

... in the article it mentions about "machines" (plural) being checked ... why would that matter, the "machines" are only going to print what is being generated at lottery headquarters from one RNG ... so there should only be one machine or one area to check ... no, yes?

... none of the winners knew each other, I could possibly see four winners with the same numbers scattered all over Florida but for all those winners to be in one county ... I guess it's just a fluke that the RNG spit out the same numbers in that area only. So anything can happen ... this just happened with the PA Treasure Hunt in late Nov ... a set of five numbers repeated in less than a week but what is interesting is that when the numbers came out on Nov 24th, there was only one winning ticket but when the numbers came out again on Nov 30th there were five winning tickets.

Did the original winner on Nov 24th play more tickets, did others decide to play that particular set of numbers again for a few days or did the PA Lottery RNG spit out QPs of those same numbers ???

Those Treasure Hunt numbers had never come out before.

Mon Nov 24, 2014    02-05-08-11-12

Sun, Nov 30, 2014    02-05-08-11-12

CW

The terminals in stores are basically random number generators. Random. Meaning anything can and sometimes will happen.

Thankfully, the balls in the drawing machines are not connected to the thousands of "random" number generators in stores. Otherwise, there would be many conspiracy theorists.

That would be awful.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
                Member #161539
                December 3, 2014
                328 Posts
                Posted: February 24, 2015, 11:07 am - IP Logged

Are you " Saying" that you think the lottery is Rigged CW? Are you also saying that the balls that are spinning around " knew" that they heading to winners in Florida? - if so, How?

Just asking. ...

I am saying no such thing ... it's probably as described earlier with the FL story ... a fluke !

It's an interesting story ... if the RNGs are in each local terminal generating QP numbers, instead of all the numbers being generated from lottery headquarters ... then this fluke becomes a Super Fluke !!!

The fact that four "different" RNGs in the same FL county produced the same random QP numbers ... instead of just one RNG at lottery headquarters ... what are the odds of that or could the RNGs be programed to only print so many QP combinations so the "cover" would be less allowing the jackpot to maybe carry over for another week.

I just threw that last part in ... it probably doesn't hold water unless maybe there were 20 to 50 QP tickets that all printed the same in one area.

In the end, it was probably just a fluke ... but four different RNGs printing the same QPs in one general area makes it harder to accept than just one RNG printing the same numbers ?

CW

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23275 Posts
                  Posted: February 24, 2015, 11:15 am - IP Logged

This topic has been covered numerous times.

The numbers on all Quick Pick lottery tickets are generated by the lottery terminal that prints out the ticket.  They are not generated by a remote server someplace.

The numbers are generated by the lottery terminal, and then the numbers are sent to the remote server for recording (the lottery records ALL tickets that are played, obviously) -- exactly in the same manner that your own picks/numbers are sent and recorded.

I have personally verified this with equipment manufacturers as well as various state lotteries.

Lottery terminals do have have great random number generators.  They are psuedo-random number generators, so it is unsurprising that "flukes" would occur in which similar numbers come out from time to time.  It is the nature of the beast.

That's why many people who want random numbers use Lottery Post's Quick Picks Generator, which uses an advanced cryptographic library to generate random numbers that are much closer to "truly random" than the lottery terminal will ever achieve.

Note that being truly random does not make the Lottery Post QP Generator more likely to win, it means the numbers are more random.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                    Member #161539
                    December 3, 2014
                    328 Posts
                    Posted: February 24, 2015, 11:21 am - IP Logged

I am almost certain that the individual terminals generate the numbers. Why? Think about how many numbers are being generated everywhere at any given moment (but especially during record sales). The network would be incapable of receiving the request for a QP then sending back that number. If I'm not mistaken, the process goes 1) player requests QP, 2) machine generates QP and validates, 3) sends to network. Also, think about cases where multiple duplicates on same ticket...lottery has always dismissed it as faulty machine (not faulty network). I could be far off here but in the case of MMC I know that the "central computer" does (did) not generate the states' players' numbers. The fact that all terminals in town having trouble is just indication of problem with the network that receives ticket data....if issue with network, player's ticket cannot be processed. Where I live this is very rare. Usually the individual terminals only go down.

I was hoping you would have something to post on all this, since you have lottery information that comes from other sources.

So you think that there is a RNG in each and every terminal ... I have thought this might be a possibility, so I play OPs at different terminals, if I have the time to run around to various places (terminals).

If you ever get to talk to some lottery people about this, maybe you can find out for sure just where the QPs are generated ... at the local terminals or from RNGs or one RNG at lottery headquarters.

I remember years back with long lines of people waiting to buy PB or MM tickets as they were being printed from all over the state ... probably less people play today and the newer computers are faster ??? ... I don't know.

OK ... it looks like Todd posted as I was replying to your post ... case closed.

CW

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                      Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4110 Posts
                      Posted: February 24, 2015, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

Given what Todd posted- l wonder if any jackpot winner has Ever confessed to using LP QP Generator to win either  MM/PB? 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
                        Member #161539
                        December 3, 2014
                        328 Posts
                        Posted: February 24, 2015, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

Given what Todd posted- l wonder if any jackpot winner has Ever confessed to using LP QP Generator to win either  MM/PB? 

Well I'm easily persuaded to try something different ... I have four ... maybe five lottery RNGs on my computer, don't use them much these days, never won anything with them.  So what the heck ... why not try the LP - RNGs.

I'm getting things ready for March ... maybe I'll get to the Virgin Islands sooner than I expected.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19831 Posts
                          Posted: February 24, 2015, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

I've never read of a jackpot winner confessing to being a LP member let alone using the LP QP Generator.

United States
                            Member #161539
                            December 3, 2014
                            328 Posts
                            Posted: February 24, 2015, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

I've never read of a jackpot winner confessing to being a LP member let alone using the LP QP Generator.

Let me throw some additional mystery into this ... how can anyone know for sure that Todd doesn't have some idea if some of LP's RNG picks have hit a jackpot or two. Everything generated by the RNGs could possibilty be saved or recorded and cross-checked on a computer.

He wouldn't have any idea who had hit or when the hit actually occurred if it was six months into the future ... but if a LP RNG set of numbers also happen to show up within a week or two on a state game ... since you pick the state games you want QPs for ... or the MM and PB in general ... another fluke ! ... only Todd knows for sure.

... or another "Mystery of the Sea" !

CW

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #55889
                              October 23, 2007
                              5615 Posts
                              Posted: February 24, 2015, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

I hit a Pick 4 boxed a few years ago using LP's RNG.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)