Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions And Powerball Odds Are Approaching The Size Of The Usa Population Of 318.9 Million.

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 2 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

IS IT STUPID TO KEEP PLAYING THE LOTTERY?

YES [ 9 ]  [30.00%]
NO [ 21 ]  [70.00%]
I DO NOT PLAY THE LOTTERY [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 30 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
11975 Posts
Posted: March 4, 2015, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY- IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: March 4, 2015, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Well, if you spend money you can't afford chasing Mega Millions/Powerball then yeah it's kind of stupid. But spending a couple of dollars for a chance to win (even if you probably won't) isn't a big deal. People obviously do win so it's worth it to most players.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #77167
      July 15, 2009
      554 Posts
      Posted: March 4, 2015, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

No matter the odds someone always wins.  Who knows?  You might get lucky.  Play on! Guitar Smile

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4104 Posts
        Posted: March 4, 2015, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

Nothing Ventured , Nothing Gained.

If you asked those fortunate Climbers who reached the Summit of Mt Everett " Was it worth it?" ..I think the majority if not all of them would say Yes!

Think of the negatives :The climb is exhausting, the Air is thinner, many humans who do attempt the climb perish on the slopes, their bodies are left there because there is no way to carry them down..yet despite it all- people continue to try. The question from a non Climber is why?  The answer: because it's there. That can also be applied to the lottery as well, despite the odds Thrifty.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
          Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #82391
          November 12, 2009
          6290 Posts
          Posted: March 4, 2015, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

Well since people are winning the jackpot I say keep playing Big Grin

I Love Pink & Green 1908

cbr$'s avatar - maren
            Cordova,Al.
            United States
            Member #104482
            January 15, 2011
            4873 Posts
            Posted: March 4, 2015, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

I don't think it stupid to play the lottery. Playing Mega Million & the Powerball . It could happen. No, regrets about a couple of tickets. Somebody get to win it ,why not me.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10345 Posts
              Posted: March 4, 2015, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

It's not stupid to play the lottery if one plays with the hope of winning a jackpot.

If one plays and becomes obsessed and buys more and more and more tickets per draw because they just know they are going to win a jackpot that's another story.

Anyone remember the couple in Pennsylvania some years ago that sold everything they had and mortgaged their house because they knew they would win? I think they just about broke even but of course had to start all over from scratch.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
                Member #133462
                September 30, 2012
                5946 Posts
                Posted: March 4, 2015, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

Thrifty if you're ever lucky enough to hit the big J one day we will know it's you. You will not be able to resist reciting these lines you have become famous for on LP. LOL

"Everything works  ONCE!"

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                  Lavender Rocket

United States
                  Member #124616
                  March 16, 2012
                  2642 Posts
                  Posted: March 4, 2015, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

lovely!

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                    Wisconsin
                    United States
                    Member #104962
                    January 23, 2011
                    1075 Posts
                    Posted: March 4, 2015, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely.  As for answering  the question,  it depends on the odds of the specific lottery game,  and if it is a fixed or rolling jackpot.

Trump 2016!

cbr$'s avatar - maren
                      Cordova,Al.
                      United States
                      Member #104482
                      January 15, 2011
                      4873 Posts
                      Posted: March 5, 2015, 6:03 am - IP Logged

THRIFTY so nice of you to send that message to me in my P.M.box. my answer still stands. the odd can be 318.9 million, I believe , I'm that one in 318.9 to win it. I don't doubt what my father "GOD" can do for me. Have a great day THRIFTY.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                        Lavender Rocket

United States
                        Member #124616
                        March 16, 2012
                        2642 Posts
                        Posted: March 5, 2015, 10:02 am - IP Logged

THRIFTY so nice of you to send that message to me in my P.M.box. my answer still stands. the odd can be 318.9 million, I believe , I'm that one in 318.9 to win it. I don't doubt what my father "GOD" can do for me. Have a great day THRIFTY.

cbr$ - me too!  Hope we win back to back wins!  ... but I still like thrifty's comment about it being nice to dream.  :)

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7297 Posts
                          Posted: March 5, 2015, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

I don' think it's stupid to wager $1 or $2 hoping to win several million, but because of the huge odds against winning a jackpot, the huge majority of players are just buying a dream.

The best odds players got in a long time was when 1 out of every 63,175,082 PB tickets was a jackpot winner.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19817 Posts
                            Posted: March 5, 2015, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

I don' think it's stupid to wager $1 or $2 hoping to win several million, but because of the huge odds against winning a jackpot, the huge majority of players are just buying a dream.

The best odds players got in a long time was when 1 out of every 63,175,082 PB tickets was a jackpot winner.

Most states offer jackpot games with million dollars plus jackpots with odds of 1:14M or better, it just that the arrogant and greedy players fell they are entitled to win a whole lot more.  It's still dreaming to play those games but they produce more jackpot winners.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                              NY State
                              United States
                              Member #92609
                              June 10, 2010
                              3693 Posts
                              Posted: March 5, 2015, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

Most states offer jackpot games with million dollars plus jackpots with odds of 1:14M or better, it just that the arrogant and greedy players fell they are entitled to win a whole lot more.  It's still dreaming to play those games but they produce more jackpot winners.

I agree.

I play the lottery because I hope I'll get super lucky one day and win.  But I don't hold my breath because I know that it's a sucker bet. 

All I do know about playing is I will never win if I don't play, so I give myself a miniscule chance by buying tickets. And I play games that have smaller jackpots more than I play MM or PB.  If I was ever so lucky to win one million (which really would be less than a million due to state and federal taxes) I'd be very happy.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!