Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Show About Lottery Winners Starts Today ...

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 2 years ago by lejardin.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
brees2012's avatar - animal whale.jpg

United States
Member #125177
March 26, 2012
176 Posts
Posted: March 7, 2015, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

if you want something to research , a reality show last name "Chrisley " the dad had his own business,

end up losing it to bankrupt and $50 million in debt . Research "Todd Chrisley " and if you check local

listing of his show ......spend $300,000 for clothes ....

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
    Member #142499
    May 13, 2013
    1182 Posts
    Posted: March 7, 2015, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

if you want something to research , a reality show last name "Chrisley " the dad had his own business,

end up losing it to bankrupt and $50 million in debt . Research "Todd Chrisley " and if you check local

listing of his show ......spend $300,000 for clothes ....

Yes, I knew about Todd Chrisley (am I the only one who is just waiting for the day a gay lover to comes out of the closet and outs him?), he's right up there with Sheree of RHOA to me in terms of pretending to be living an enviable life while being below broke. One was claiming to have spent over a quarter of a million dollars in clothes in one year, while simultaneously claiming on bankruptcy records that he had no source of income, the other claimed she was rich enough not to need a budget while not having enough money to keep her house from foreclosure. 

Spending $2.5 million on a house when the take home was well under $10 million is right up there with numbers that don't add up.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
      USA
      United States
      Member #152799
      February 25, 2014
      1090 Posts
      Posted: March 7, 2015, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

As a bonus, the lottery picks up the taxes on this game's big payout.

According to this article, the MN Lottery pays 100% of the taxes.

The article you provided a link to is incorrect.

According to Ed Van Petten, executive director of the Minnesota state lottery "The multi-state lottery, who organizes the game, pays the mandatory minimum withholding tax." 

The Minnesota lottery website also states: The Lottery and MUSL are not responsible for additional income or other taxes applicable in excess of the amount withheld and remitted by the lottery that may be due when the prizewinners files all tax returns for the year the prize is claimed.

The tax clarification is also listed on MN lottery website on page 12 3.4. line D

The couple who won the $11.7 million Hot Lotto jackpot did get the entire $11.7 million because the minimum withholding were paid by the lottery but will be responsible for the balance of the federal tax that comes due when they file their return on April, 2015.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
        Member #118609
        November 4, 2011
        932 Posts
        Posted: March 7, 2015, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

Any lottery that takes care of ANY tax, even minimum, is ok in my book. 

United States
          Member #161539
          December 3, 2014
          328 Posts
          Posted: March 8, 2015, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Very interesting shows. That Eagle Nest home was absolutely gorgeous.  I didnt think they were going to choose it, altho it would have been my pick lol.  All three of the houses were very nice. 

I did check and they are trying to cast more people to come on the show.  So maybe this will continue?  They usually rerun many times so I expect in time these too will be run again.

The minnesota couple picked an equally nice home.  Something to be said about any multi-million dollar home lol. 

I have to agree with the Eagle Nest home ... they won more money so they can afford maintenance and taxes ... they were older so why not enjoy life. I'd like the "movie theater" and the gym ... with all the peace and serenity they now have, they may well live longer lives.

Watch how they eat, use the gym daily and go for it ... they really never need to go on vacation anywhere ... they are on vacation every day. People work all year to get a week or two for a getaway vacation to the mountains or something similar.

I just look at the cleaning ... dust will collect high up on the beams and everywhere, lots of yard to maintain but they have the extra money to hire people for all that ... they only need their health !

CW

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
            Member #142499
            May 13, 2013
            1182 Posts
            Posted: March 8, 2015, 11:07 am - IP Logged

Amen to that.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
              Marquette, MI
              United States
              Member #20541
              August 20, 2005
              705 Posts
              Posted: March 9, 2015, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

John Gruber  was right about some of the people some of the timeAgree with stupid

"The American Voter is too Stupid..."   Jonathan Gruber Obamacare Architect

"There is no sin except stupidity" Oscar Wilde

https://books.google.com/books?id=apm21IcqhmcC&pg=PP6&lpg=PP6&dq=americans+can+tolerate+just+about+anything+except+stupidity&source=bl&ots=tq9QUeP46j&sig=qXfXEz-wh_yUQSsE8DZG0ZjABls&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil8YSjmuDPAhWF7IMKHV11A0kQ6AEIUzAI#v=onepage&q=americans%20can%20tolerate%20just%20about%20anything%20except%20stupidity&f=false

USA
                United States
                Member #152799
                February 25, 2014
                1090 Posts
                Posted: March 9, 2015, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

John Gruber  was right about some of the people some of the timeAgree with stupid

Lejardin makes a comment about a state lottery picking up some of the taxes and you call him stupid?

Perhaps you enjoy doling out extra money to your state and federal government because you are such a genius as I have no doubt you think they will spend it wisely. People like yourself do indeed make Jonathan Gruber proud.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #82391
                  November 12, 2009
                  6290 Posts
                  Posted: March 10, 2015, 9:27 am - IP Logged

Thank you for letting us know. I try to keep track of TLC's repeat Lottery shows but it is nice to hear of some new shows and surprising it is coming from HGTV.

HGTV used to be my favorite but once they got rid of any host over the age of 30 it was just plain boring. It is all about real estate and buying and selling. All the good hosts/shows are gone, Candace Olson, Ahmed Assad, Paul James, Joe Washington.

Maybe these Lottery Dream Home shows can redeem the channel. 

I Agree! loved watching Candice & Ahmed Assad.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Marquette, MI
                    United States
                    Member #20541
                    August 20, 2005
                    705 Posts
                    Posted: March 10, 2015, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

Lejardin makes a comment about a state lottery picking up some of the taxes and you call him stupid?

Perhaps you enjoy doling out extra money to your state and federal government because you are such a genius as I have no doubt you think they will spend it wisely. People like yourself do indeed make Jonathan Gruber proud.

Agree with stupid

Drenick1 when I explain this to you, you are going to wonder how you could have been so dumb!

It is a marketing gimmick!

The lottery is not picking up any of the taxes they are just advertising the amount AFTER the IRS required amount is withheld!

They can bloat the jackpot by advertising an annuity amount.  They can advertise the pre-tax cash value or they can advertise the amount after the required IRS withholding.

John Gruber was right when he said some people are too stupid to see what is going on.

You have been suckered by a marketing gimmick!

United States
                      Member #118609
                      November 4, 2011
                      932 Posts
                      Posted: March 10, 2015, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

Agree with stupid

Drenick1 when I explain this to you, you are going to wonder how you could have been so dumb!

The lottery is not picking up any of the taxes they are just advertising the amount AFTER the IRS required amount is withheld!

They can bloat the jackpot by advertising an annuity amount.  They can advertise the pre-tax cash value or they can advertise the amount after the required IRS withholding.

John Gruber was right when he said some people are too stupid to see what is going on.

Who made you God?  Here we go again another knowitall.

"The couple struck it rich Saturday night when their Hot Lotto numbers were drawn.  As a bonus, the lottery picks up the taxes on this game's big payout."

Of course everything is marketing, the same as advertising a total jackpot value is not net to the person winning but heaven forbid I should make such an asinine statement to a mastermind such as yourself.

Irregardless, I made a comment and last I knew Lottery Post is for conversing and personal comments, NOT ATTACKS.  I resent your nasty remark.  You must make your mother proud. 

USA
                        United States
                        Member #152799
                        February 25, 2014
                        1090 Posts
                        Posted: March 11, 2015, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Agree with stupid

I don't think anyone cares if it was a gimmick or not. Bottom line is that the winner of the advertised jackpot got the entire amount and was not responsible for any of the initial withholding granted they are still responsible for the balance of the federal taxes.

You can stand behind the marketing gimmick all you want but it's not relevant to anybody that plays that game.

Marquette, MI
                          United States
                          Member #20541
                          August 20, 2005
                          705 Posts
                          Posted: March 12, 2015, 12:09 am - IP Logged

I don't think anyone cares if it was a gimmick or not. Bottom line is that the winner of the advertised jackpot got the entire amount and was not responsible for any of the initial withholding granted they are still responsible for the balance of the federal taxes.

You can stand behind the marketing gimmick all you want but it's not relevant to anybody that plays that game.

Newsflash!!!   If you win any big prize on ANY state lottery game they are legally required by the feds to withhold 25% before they pay any prize to a winner.  It amazes me that so many people lack the logic and reasoning capacities to see the advertising shell game that is going on there.

Newsflash #2  The player IS responsible for that 25% as it comes out of the total jackpot winnings and the jackpot cash value is advertised as the cash amount less what they are required to withhold on that game.

Do you thank your employer for withholding the federally required amount from your paycheck?

The only way a player would not be responsible for the withholding on that game prize is if they never won.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

United States
                            Member #118609
                            November 4, 2011
                            932 Posts
                            Posted: March 12, 2015, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

Newsflash!  Well duh, are you for real?  And it amazes me you have the audacity to say "it amazes me that so many people lack the logic and reasoning capacities to see the advertising shell game that's going on there."  Hey son, look in the mirror. 

Thank you so much for enlightening us with your profound statements on taxes.

I suppose coming to this thread to insult others floats your boat.