Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Never Bought a Ticket But Still Won the Powerball !

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Crazy Wombat.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #161539
December 3, 2014
328 Posts
Posted: March 7, 2015, 11:04 am - IP Logged

Catchy headline to get people reading ... I suppose a person could be walking and find a PB ticket on the ground dropped by someone ... it happened to me walking early in the morning years ago ... only it was a $10 scratch off ticket that was a $20 winner.

If you remember several years back there was a PB jackpot hit in PA and the winner never bought a ticket ... there was a lottery promotion going on at the time ... if you played a certain game with a lottery coupon then you got a free PB ticket. That ticket won the jackpot for a lucky PA resident ... I think the PB tickets were still only $1 back then. I don't remember if the jackpot was a single winner or shared.

I'm sure this has probably happened somewhere else in the country ... just never know when "Lady Luck" will show up.

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49642 Posts
    Posted: March 7, 2015, 11:16 am - IP Logged

Catchy headline to get people reading ... I suppose a person could be walking and find a PB ticket on the ground dropped by someone ... it happened to me walking early in the morning years ago ... only it was a $10 scratch off ticket that was a $20 winner.

If you remember several years back there was a PB jackpot hit in PA and the winner never bought a ticket ... there was a lottery promotion going on at the time ... if you played a certain game with a lottery coupon then you got a free PB ticket. That ticket won the jackpot for a lucky PA resident ... I think the PB tickets were still only $1 back then. I don't remember if the jackpot was a single winner or shared.

I'm sure this has probably happened somewhere else in the country ... just never know when "Lady Luck" will show up.

Of Course You'd do the Right Thing and Return the Ticket You Found to its Rightful Owner!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
      Member #161539
      December 3, 2014
      328 Posts
      Posted: March 7, 2015, 11:22 am - IP Logged

Of Course You'd do the Right Thing and Return the Ticket You Found to its Rightful Owner!

No, I made no attempt to do so ... I immediately changed my course and walked a few blocks to a convenience store and cashed the ticket ... before the "rightful owner" came back looking for it !!!

+ I will add ... it was about 6 in the morning and I was the only one around walking ... had I seen someone actually drop the ticket, they would have gotten it returned.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10345 Posts
        Posted: March 7, 2015, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

CrazyWombat,

As far as winning a jackpot I don't think it could happen.

Whenever someone shows up with a winning jackpot ticket they have to answer a whole bunch of questions by the lottery commission (Illinois, anyway). Where'd you buy the ticket, what time did you buy it, how did you pick the numbers, etc......plus, don't forget the surveillance cameras.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
          Member #161539
          December 3, 2014
          328 Posts
          Posted: March 7, 2015, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

CrazyWombat,

As far as winning a jackpot I don't think it could happen.

Whenever someone shows up with a winning jackpot ticket they have to answer a whole bunch of questions by the lottery commission (Illinois, anyway). Where'd you buy the ticket, what time did you buy it, how did you pick the numbers, etc......plus, don't forget the surveillance cameras.

OK ... all good points ... so what would happen in a case like that?

A person finds a winning jackpot ticket on the sidewalk ... it wasn't stolen and it's not signed. If the ticket was not a QP then someone would probably know the numbers on the ticket but if it was a QP ticket ... there's a very good chance they wouldn't have a clue to what numbers were on the ticket. I look at my QP tickets and hardly ever remember any numbers ... unless they are close to numbers I sometimes play.

So a person does the right thing at lottery headquarters and says they did not buy the ticket but found the unsigned ticket on the sidewalk. I suppose the lottery might hold the ticket for a period of time to see if someone would claim it and that they had all the right information of where it was purchased and such.

However, if no one ever came forward ... would the money be awarded to that person that found the ticket or would the lottery just say ... Tough Luck, you didn't buy the ticket so you get nothing.

I found this at the Illinois government site on gambling among other printed information dealing with a dispute or a challenge to the ticket.

"Any unsigned Lottery ticket issued by the Superintendent is a bearer instrument and shall be treated as such until a name is imprinted or placed upon the rear portion of the Lottery ticket in an area designated for "Name".  Once a name is placed on the rear of the ticket in the place designated for that purpose, the person whose name appears in that area shall be the owner of the ticket and shall be entitled to any prize attributable to that ticket, subject to the provisions of subsection (d)."

I would imagine all the lotteries might be similar.

United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10345 Posts
            Posted: March 7, 2015, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

Crazy Wombat,

You're probably right but I'm sure first they would try to track down the actual purchaser of the ticket. If they didn't and once a name was placed on the ticket suddenly there would be thousands of people claiming to have been the 'real' player.
            Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
              Member #161539
              December 3, 2014
              328 Posts
              Posted: March 8, 2015, 9:36 am - IP Logged

Crazy Wombat,

You're probably right but I'm sure first they would try to track down the actual purchaser of the ticket. If they didn't and once a name was placed on the ticket suddenly there would be thousands of people claiming to have been the 'real' player.
              Bang Head

CT ... OK I'm open for discussion on this. So if a person finds a lost high winning jackpot lottery ticket on a sidewalk that was not signed and they did not buy the ticket ... perhaps they should sign the ticket as soon as possible and then present it with the true story ... that is was found on the ground unsigned.

As you said and we all know ... advertise all that and hoards of people will be coming forward to claim the ticket.

Now there might be one person that has all the right information ... about where the ticket was purchased, what day and the approximate time and then that would be another situation.

I could possibility see the jackpot being split or the finder who signed the ticket receiving the whole jackpot and maybe deciding to split the amount with the person who bought the ticket.

I could also see "people" after the fact still coming forward to claim or sue for part of the money ... I don't know.

It probably would be a nightmare for a person finding a lost unsigned ticket ... if the ticket was worth a lot of money, then it might be worth it.

Collect the money and get lost !!!

CW

United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10345 Posts
                Posted: March 8, 2015, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

Crazy Wombat,

People here on LP could certainly come up with a story on how they got the numbers to play, and if a person found a ticket right outside if a store that sells them they could probably answer that question....but what about when the lottery commission says they can't find the supposed winner on any video at all?

The potential split with a winner and finder would have tax evasion by one of the parties arouse a lot of suspicion.

Might be good questions to ask state lottery official but I'm not sure they'd divulge the right answers.

If anybody finds this on a lottery FAQ page please post the answer.

Lep

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: March 9, 2015, 12:22 am - IP Logged

"so what would happen in a case like that?"

Are you still in 3rd grade, or have you figured out that you don't own something just because somebody else lost it?

If you don't live in some 3rd world country you're subject to laws that describe exactly how lost property is to be treated. If you want to become the legal owner you need to follow the rules and hope that the rightful owner isn't looking for it.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                    Member #164603
                    March 8, 2015
                    604 Posts
                    Posted: March 9, 2015, 12:26 am - IP Logged

If somebody loses a bearer instrument it's a bit more complicated than "it's not yours if you didn't buy it".It's not a gold bar after all.

UNION CITY,NJ
                      United States
                      Member #153884
                      March 28, 2014
                      18 Posts
                      Posted: March 9, 2015, 12:36 am - IP Logged

hi,my name is eddy,thanks for your postings.i would like to ask you where i can get a positional (by enterin' a specific amount of number per position) pick 5 wheel? .

thanks a lot,eddy from nj

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10345 Posts
                        Posted: March 13, 2015, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

Crazy Wombat,

This is from the thread in News about the guy in California who would have won 5 + 0 on Powerball but lost the ticket:

"We believe the man who came forward yesterday was the actual guy in the surveillance footage," the spokesman said," but unfortunately, in Powerball rules, you have to have a physical ticket to win."

Lep

United States
                          Member #161539
                          December 3, 2014
                          328 Posts
                          Posted: March 14, 2015, 5:54 am - IP Logged

Crazy Wombat,

This is from the thread in News about the guy in California who would have won 5 + 0 on Powerball but lost the ticket:

"We believe the man who came forward yesterday was the actual guy in the surveillance footage," the spokesman said," but unfortunately, in Powerball rules, you have to have a physical ticket to win."

I read the story earlier ... but my question had more to it. It really would have been interesting "if" another person had appeared at lottery headquarters with the actual ticket ... a ticket that had not been stolen but "found" unsigned.

So now you have video of a person buying the actual ticket but a different person having the actual ticket ... but not because the ticket was stolen, the presenter just got lucky and "found" a lost winning lottery ticket.

It would have been interesting to see how the lottery would have handled that scenairo.

Now if the ticket had been stolen ... and not found ... that would be a "no-brainer", I would think.

... but we will never know "Part 2" of the story and how it might have really ended ... no one presented the actual ticket.

CW

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                            adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            3300 Posts
                            Posted: March 14, 2015, 9:29 am - IP Logged

how about you  write your name on the back,  put it in an envelope and post it in as a " found ticket "  anonymously better yet get someone you know to  do the envelope so it doesnt have your finger prints all over it.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3300 Posts
                              Posted: March 14, 2015, 9:38 am - IP Logged

if i lost the ticket and someone came forward having found it, i would have no problems going halves with them .

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297