Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 12:28 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Never Bought a Ticket But Still Won the Powerball !

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Crazy Wombat.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #161539
December 3, 2014
328 Posts
Posted: March 14, 2015, 10:51 am - IP Logged

if i lost the ticket and someone came forward having found it, i would have no problems going halves with them .

That is probably the only way that whole scenario could play out ... an even split.

A half dozen of eggs is much better than no eggs at all !

... however in replying to your first post ... if a person was going to go through all that ... I would use vinyl gloves for no finger prints and would not lick the glue on the envelope ... just wet it with a sponge or paper towel, that way ... no chance they would have your DNA !

In a situation like that I think I would just take my chances and go to lottery headquarters and tell the story as it was ... that I found the ticket unsigned ... what I am not sure about is - would I sign the back of the ticket or not. I think I would sign the ticket and go with what plays out.

If someone also shows up, the real purchaser then let the lottery sort it out ... if no one else ever does show up, then let that play out.

United States
    Member #164725
    March 12, 2015
    365 Posts
    Posted: March 14, 2015, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

Most jurisdictions have statutes on the books regarding found lost property. You are required to return it to the owner or to the police dept.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #77167
      July 15, 2009
      569 Posts
      Posted: March 14, 2015, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

I read the story earlier ... but my question had more to it. It really would have been interesting "if" another person had appeared at lottery headquarters with the actual ticket ... a ticket that had not been stolen but "found" unsigned.

So now you have video of a person buying the actual ticket but a different person having the actual ticket ... but not because the ticket was stolen, the presenter just got lucky and "found" a lost winning lottery ticket.

It would have been interesting to see how the lottery would have handled that scenairo.

Now if the ticket had been stolen ... and not found ... that would be a "no-brainer", I would think.

... but we will never know "Part 2" of the story and how it might have really ended ... no one presented the actual ticket.

CW

If I find a winning lottery ticket, unsigned, on the sidewalk or in the parking lot of a store or any public place--I would sign my name on it and take it to the lottery claim office.  I certainly would not be naive enough to ask if someone lost it--LOL   Count it as a dog day  (sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree)  Smile

JBounds's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
        Missouri
        United States
        Member #164740
        March 13, 2015
        108 Posts
        Posted: March 15, 2015, 9:21 am - IP Logged

Give it to the Police and if the rightful owner claims it then maybe I get a reward, if not then it will be returned to me in 30 days.

United States
          Member #161539
          December 3, 2014
          328 Posts
          Posted: March 15, 2015, 10:42 am - IP Logged

Give it to the Police and if the rightful owner claims it then maybe I get a reward, if not then it will be returned to me in 30 days.

Just from my own thinking ... I don't see how the police would have any idea who the rightful owner could be.

Say 350 people show up claiming the lost ticket ... what are they going to do? Only the lottery office would have the information and means to "possibilty" identify the real purchaser and that may not be a 100% sure thing, if no video exist ... there would computer information for the ticket but maybe the righful owner can't remember all that ... when and where purchased ... perhaps they are a heavy lottery player, buying tickets from many places.

I still would sign the ticket since it is a bearer instrument ... I would not hand over a blank unsigned ticket to the police or anyone. More than once, evidence has "disappeared" from the police, whether it be drugs, money or whatever.

If a person is going to go the police route then I would bring an attorney along as a witness or maybe a local reporter from a newspaper or TV studio to document everything ... but then you get yourself too much publicity which could be a problem.

I still think going straight to the lottery with the ticket signed and let it all play out is the way to go ... maybe still take an attorney along or someone to be a witness might still be a good idea.

I posted this earlier from the Illinois government with a lottery ticket being a "bearer instrument".

"Any unsigned Lottery ticket issued by the Superintendent is a bearer instrument and shall be treated as such until a name is imprinted or placed upon the rear portion of the Lottery ticket in an area designated for "Name".  Once a name is placed on the rear of the ticket in the place designated for that purpose, the person whose name appears in that area shall be the owner of the ticket and shall be entitled to any prize attributable to that ticket, subject to the provisions of subsection (d)."

I would not hand over an unsigned found ticket to anyone ... I would sign it and hope for the best. It's not my problem that someone got "careless" and lost their ticket.

I would possibilty make an exception if the actual ticket owner did show up and if the prize money wasn't a huge amount and the actual owner was struggling with bills and a sick child and had other children to also care for ... I would maybe just turn around and walk out the lottery headquarters door ... but I would check it out first and if the prize money is a huge amount and enough for both parties ... then that might be the way to go.

In today's world there have been many scams of people saying they have cancer or a very sick child just to collect money donations and then the whole scam is revealed.

Those are all worst case scenarios ...

CW