Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How many tickets do you need to win the Lottery?

Topic closed. 49 replies. Last post 2 years ago by IceFizz.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
homestead
United States
Member #158182
August 14, 2014
137 Posts
Posted: May 28, 2015, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

I have seen people who I know go out and buy over $1K worth of Lottery tickets. Some have won no more than $3000 in total. But here is a story of a man who bought $700 worth of lotto tickets with the same numbers to win over $3.5 Million. It takes a big risk to come out ahead.

Persistants pays off

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #77167
    July 15, 2009
    569 Posts
    Posted: May 28, 2015, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Some people with money take more risks than the average person.  Sometimes it works out for them.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

United States
      Member #166569
      May 27, 2015
      29 Posts
      Posted: May 28, 2015, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

That was lucky.  It makes you wonder how many times in the past he has done that, probably this is his first time since it was based on a dream.  Congrats to him though.

About once a month when our lottery pool organizer goes to Idaho for our monthly tickets, I give him 20 dollars to play a set of daily 3 numbers at one time x 20 lines.   Haven't hit it since I started two months ago, but I will keep trying as I keep seeing 333 all over the place for the last two years.    I figure if it hits, and he has played 20 separate lines on 20 separate tickets, I'd get 10,000 dollars, so to play it once a month, unless 333 hit recently, isn't too much money.  Who knows, may get lucky and be able to pay off second mortgage.

United States
        Member #164725
        March 12, 2015
        365 Posts
        Posted: May 28, 2015, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

I asked this question when I first joined.  You read winners saying that they just stopped to buy "a" ticket but when they show the ticket there are multiple lines.  I believe that the consensus was that people spend more than they are admitting to.  The famous 3 Amigos bought hundreds of dollars of tickets, one line at a time from several stores. It did pay off for them.

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #165541
          April 12, 2015
          554 Posts
          Posted: May 28, 2015, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

I have seen people who I know go out and buy over $1K worth of Lottery tickets. Some have won no more than $3000 in total. But here is a story of a man who bought $700 worth of lotto tickets with the same numbers to win over $3.5 Million. It takes a big risk to come out ahead.

Persistants pays off

I would say betwenn one and fiftye. 

If you are going to be lucky then it can just be one.

But a realistic wheel scenario would be a one power number with 24 numbers and a 3 if 3 guarentee.

Of course fifty buks is a little steep, and 24 numbers is kind of a lot, and the guarentte is terrible.

I try to max out my numbers at 16 and my combo at 7.  Playing too many lines is more of a panic frenzy strategical approach.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
            Dump Water Florida
            United States
            Member #380
            June 5, 2002
            3112 Posts
            Posted: May 28, 2015, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

The Florida 5/36 Rolldown can pay a thousand or so for 4 numbers when there is no jackpot winner.

There are 18 odd and 18 even numbers.

A wheel for either would be 100% (18,5,4,5)=285

Or 100%(18,5,4,4)=664

Might be fun for those with the money to burn while waiting to win a jackpot.

FL5/36 05/09/2015 01-07-11-15-19
            FL5/36 05/18/2015 01-11-13-19-21
            FL5/36 05/21/2015 01-05-19-13-27

BobP

Think's avatar - lightbulb
              Marquette, MI
              United States
              Member #20541
              August 20, 2005
              710 Posts
              Posted: May 28, 2015, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

Persistants pays off

A very easy question.  You need 1 ticket that matches all the numbers.  Repeating- you need 1 ticket.

CALI
                Afghanistan
                Member #118735
                November 6, 2011
                134 Posts
                Posted: May 29, 2015, 2:32 am - IP Logged

We have spent about $69 Thousand so far and still counting.

Averaging $1 Grand a month at the same 7-11 in Northern Cali.

10 steady members, its all good here...

(HIT THE BIG ONE, OR BUY A SKI MASK)

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
                  nc
                  United States
                  Member #99520
                  October 26, 2010
                  375 Posts
                  Posted: May 29, 2015, 8:51 am - IP Logged

I have 1 set of numbers that habe been played since '86. When the jackpot is high, i will play it twice.  That way ifit wins and the jackpot is split, i will get two shares. Greedy, perhaps, but one portion gets invested in a charitable foundation, so that I can enjoy the other portion.

Deo-nonfortuna's avatar - hqdefault
                    NJ
                    United States
                    Member #165922
                    April 27, 2015
                    3600 Posts
                    Posted: May 29, 2015, 9:01 am - IP Logged

Persistants pays off

NY Lotto has a slogan "All you need is a dollar ($2 for PB) and a dream".

1 ticket is all you need to win. With MM or PB jackpot win, it takes more than just a good luck

to win, it has to be bestowed upon by god.

Read my name: Deo nonfortuna (Will of god, not luck).

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                      JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                      Member #141034
                      April 2, 2013
                      1419 Posts
                      Posted: May 29, 2015, 9:19 am - IP Logged

I have 1 set of numbers that habe been played since '86. When the jackpot is high, i will play it twice.  That way ifit wins and the jackpot is split, i will get two shares. Greedy, perhaps, but one portion gets invested in a charitable foundation, so that I can enjoy the other portion.

Funny, I do that all the time and I thought I was being slick.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
                        Member #131594
                        August 14, 2012
                        171 Posts
                        Posted: May 29, 2015, 9:43 am - IP Logged

Hmmm.  I just feel like I have read something profound or something I should pay attention to.  In PB and MM I sometimes play the same first five numbers and a different power or mega ball just in case I won the second prize so I would get more money.  I thought it was increasing my odds of winning the whole thing but assuring any smaller prize would be bigger.  I never thought about just playing the same number straight across to increase my take of the jackpot in case I have to share.  I will have to consider that.  Thanks!

Lotto Lucy

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                          USA
                          United States
                          Member #152799
                          February 25, 2014
                          1095 Posts
                          Posted: May 30, 2015, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

You only need one and a whole lot of luck.

homestead
                            United States
                            Member #158182
                            August 14, 2014
                            137 Posts
                            Posted: May 30, 2015, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

I agree that you only need one ticket and a whole lot of of luck. But what about some of the people who really do not play their state's Pick-5 or Pick-6 Lotto, MM or PB? I think that one must choose the game that's right for them. Some might say that the guy from NJ who won $3.5 Million by spending a total of $700.00 one the same one set of numbers(Straight) on all 700 tickets should not have been allowed to do that. Then again, I do see the very same people who criticise him go on to spend more than $2K worth of scratch off Lottery tickets. The key to winning is not just one ticket; but whose willing to spend a lot of money to make the dream come true. And if they win all of that money, will they be able to go the path of Brad Duke(whose trying to grow his money) or David Edwards(who lost all of his money)?

History has stated that it's very easy to talk about winning the Lottery. But if they do win, it's very hard to keep all of that money when everyone knows you have it.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5143 Posts
                              Posted: May 30, 2015, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

DN:

I Agree!>>>>>>I Agree!>>>>>>that's what Psyko tonk'n bout >>>>>>DanceDisney $$$