Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would this prevent you from playing?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Hermanus104.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1181 Posts
Posted: May 28, 2015, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

So I was talking casually to a coworker today and asked him if he was going to buy any tickets since the jackpots were both pretty high. His response was that he never played the lottery nor would he ever, because with that much money he'd lose half his friends and half his family because they would probably expect a cut.

It never occurred to me that someone would rather never be a millionaire for that reason. I told him that at least you'd know who were truly your friends and which relatives really cared. 

Is this a legitimate concern for anyone else? Would you prefer never to win a big jackpot for fear of losing one's friends over your new financial status? 

United States
    Member #164725
    March 12, 2015
    336 Posts
    Posted: May 28, 2015, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

So I was talking casually to a coworker today and asked him if he was going to buy any tickets since the jackpots were both pretty high. His response was that he never played the lottery nor would he ever, because with that much money he'd lose half his friends and half his family because they would probably expect a cut.

It never occurred to me that someone would rather never be a millionaire for that reason. I told him that at least you'd know who were truly your friends and which relatives really cared. 

Is this a legitimate concern for anyone else? Would you prefer never to win a big jackpot for fear of losing one's friends over your new financial status? 

Hell, no! LOL

Serious illness, education, imminent/actual homelessness - sure, I'll help.   Other than that, all my imaginary $$$ will go to charities.   

If you havent learned to say no by this age, you are doomed.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
      Member #118609
      November 4, 2011
      930 Posts
      Posted: May 28, 2015, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

No way.  My small family and circle of friends would still be here if I won or not.  If I am wrong, then it would be their loss.  I would like to be a millionaire to help them and not just for them but for me.  Giving makes ME  feel good.  With jackpots this high, how much does one person need?

Sunny California
        United States
        Member #40295
        May 31, 2006
        7712 Posts
        Posted: May 28, 2015, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

I would prefer not to win a big jackpot for so many reasons. Privacy and remaining anonymous would be tops on the list. Maybe I'm paranoid,lol. I would give it all away in a heartbeat to charity.

Do You Want To Win Today?  http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/286011

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10344 Posts
          Posted: May 28, 2015, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

No, it wouldn't prevent me from playing but I still think one of the smartest things I read here on LP was by whoever said the ideal thing to happen would be for PB or MM to be pumped up and get hit, the winners still hasn't shown up to claim their jackpot, and you hit it at the start point.

I wish I could remember who posted that.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
            Member #142499
            May 13, 2013
            1181 Posts
            Posted: May 28, 2015, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

No way.  My small family and circle of friends would still be here if I won or not.  If I am wrong, then it would be their loss.  I would like to be a millionaire to help them and not just for them but for me.  Giving makes ME  feel good.  With jackpots this high, how much does one person need?

After watching the documentary "Lucky" and hearing about the one guy losing the friendship of people he'd known for decades, not because he didn't give them anything, but because they felt they should have won instead of him, nothing would surprise me, even in a small family.

I don't think it's about how much you need, it's more about how much someone else feels entitled to.

I will say that the person I was 4 years ago would have allowed the guilt to get to me. I probably would have felt compelled to give to family even if I didn't want to. The person I am now, will have no problems saying no and not feeling even a twinge if they decide to hate me forever over it. 

I'll get over missing them in the shoe department at Harrods. Hyper

Think's avatar - lightbulb
              Marquette, MI
              United States
              Member #20541
              August 20, 2005
              705 Posts
              Posted: May 28, 2015, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

Well that's confusing.  Are they really his friends or is he their 'plan B'?

Would the guy not build a bomb shelter either for the same reason ( If it wasn't big enough to fit all his friends or family)

Does he constantly go around worrying what other people want from him or how the feel about him?

I don't understand his logic.

United States
                Member #142499
                May 13, 2013
                1181 Posts
                Posted: May 28, 2015, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

Well that's confusing.  Are they really his friends or is he their 'plan B'?

Would the guy not build a bomb shelter either for the same reason ( If it wasn't big enough to fit all his friends or family)

Does he constantly go around worrying what other people want from him or how the feel about him?

I don't understand his logic.

That's why this was such a shock to hear and I wanted to know if this was a common thought others might have, because this guy is very A personality, doesn't give a crap what anyone thinks of him, does his own thing kind of guy. He would be the last person I would have expected to have this viewpoint.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                  Member #118609
                  November 4, 2011
                  930 Posts
                  Posted: May 28, 2015, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

After watching the documentary "Lucky" and hearing about the one guy losing the friendship of people he'd known for decades, not because he didn't give them anything, but because they felt they should have won instead of him, nothing would surprise me, even in a small family.

I don't think it's about how much you need, it's more about how much someone else feels entitled to.

I will say that the person I was 4 years ago would have allowed the guilt to get to me. I probably would have felt compelled to give to family even if I didn't want to. The person I am now, will have no problems saying no and not feeling even a twinge if they decide to hate me forever over it. 

I'll get over missing them in the shoe department at Harrods. Hyper

Lol harrods shoe dept. sure sounds good to me. Hahahahaha.

I would like to see that show Lucky.  I have seen firsthand how families fight over money, inheritances etc. and it never ceases to amaze me the things people will do.  Not something I will have to worry about at this point in my life lol.

If I was a winner and my family was jealous of my winning because they didnt win, then that is on them.  I hopefully, would have done what I felt was right.   I am a homebody, getting older i dont want the drama, just a peaceful, financially secure life until I am called home.  After I am gone let the fireworks begin if they dont like how the trust was set up. 

Actually, I remember one California woman who won the lottery with a group of coworkers said she lost her childhood friend when she won.   The friend had the issue with her win so I guess you are right.

Just let me win and I will try to deal with it lol.  Good luck all who play, regardless of the jackpot.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                    Marquette, MI
                    United States
                    Member #20541
                    August 20, 2005
                    705 Posts
                    Posted: May 28, 2015, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

That's why this was such a shock to hear and I wanted to know if this was a common thought others might have, because this guy is very A personality, doesn't give a crap what anyone thinks of him, does his own thing kind of guy. He would be the last person I would have expected to have this viewpoint.

Does the guy drive a bus in case all his friends and family want a ride?

I suppose it also tells you how he really feels about his "friends".

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #94283
                      July 17, 2010
                      2284 Posts
                      Posted: May 28, 2015, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

because with that much money he'd lose half his friends and half his family because they would probably expect a cut.

Ya gotta cull the herd sooner or later, and losing them over a huge amount of money seems like a delightful way to do it IMHO.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                        Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #74096
                        May 2, 2009
                        22834 Posts
                        Posted: May 28, 2015, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

I have no fear of being left alone or abandoned by friends or even family if I won

a huge amount of money. It's a lonesome condition. Things and people change.

You said he's a type A personality. Is it possible he's a subcategory type A?

He might need the friends more than the money and friendships unchanged

by jealousy or contempt might be of more value than a monetary sense of security.

Money they say talks but in a different sense than communication between two

or more people. Money can"t give compliments, praise and it can't give you anything

you're not in control of it giving you. 

It's a fact things will change no matter how much you give or buy for someone else.

Friends will cross the line of no return and some will resent you or imagine YOU changed.

Family will behave in certain ways...usually things are left unspoken but there is a feeling

you can't quite shake that something is different. And it is: YOU have money and THEY don't.

I can understand why the guy wouldn't want to win at the expense of losing. It's easier to go

on business as usual than to experience the discomfort and loss of a current situation where

no one has to stoop to a level above begging or spill their guts because you have what they need.

It's all so.......regretable actually. Respect is reduced, anticipation is increased. Maybe he's made 

the best choice for himself. At least he won't have to find out who his real friends are due to

instant riches - that will change even those who you thought would never change.

Now as for me...I don't need who is not worth needing. Give me the money!

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                          NY
                          United States
                          Member #121961
                          January 21, 2012
                          3157 Posts
                          Posted: May 29, 2015, 1:20 am - IP Logged

Your co-worker might be right. I know someone that loaned his friends thousands of dollars and no one answers his calls. Also his family sold all his stuff when he went to jail. The only thing my friends would get is beer.

Indianapolis
                            United States
                            Member #157589
                            July 24, 2014
                            14 Posts
                            Posted: May 29, 2015, 1:29 am - IP Logged

Ive heard this saying before " rich people dont go to heaven" , thats my biggest concern really.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                              Member #52345
                              May 21, 2007
                              2656 Posts
                              Posted: May 29, 2015, 5:24 am - IP Logged

because with that much money he'd lose half his friends and half his family because they would probably expect a cut.

Ya gotta cull the herd sooner or later, and losing them over a huge amount of money seems like a delightful way to do it IMHO.

Skeptical I'd almost agree with you HLK

I'd think your real family and friends would stick around for the roller coaster ride and save thar snide remarks for the reading of one's will if thar was anything left of the money or estate thar of

but I say if they are gonna hold you to being thar plan B... to blazes with them and good riddance