Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would this prevent you from playing?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Hermanus104.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
Member #165244
March 30, 2015
227 Posts
Posted: May 29, 2015, 7:18 am - IP Logged

I think about who would be my friends after the fact but that doesnt deter me, because I know who my friends are now.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #77167
    July 15, 2009
    555 Posts
    Posted: May 29, 2015, 7:25 am - IP Logged

No way.  My small family and circle of friends would still be here if I won or not.  If I am wrong, then it would be their loss.  I would like to be a millionaire to help them and not just for them but for me.  Giving makes ME  feel good.  With jackpots this high, how much does one person need?

If I win a big jackpot I would get an attorney and give my siblings and daughter a nice share.  For close cousins I'd give them $14,000 or whatever the amount IRS lets you give without being taxed.  My extended family are my friends.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
      nc
      United States
      Member #99520
      October 26, 2010
      375 Posts
      Posted: May 29, 2015, 8:42 am - IP Logged

Would t be an issue here. My famiy doesnt talk now. Why should I care if thy dont talk then.  Hands out mean hands down.  My money will still be given away to the same organiztions I give to now, in the minimum ratios as of now. More will be given as financial planning is completed to support it!  As for the will, one of the best peices of advice given me was leAve all your lise rlatives $10 each in your will and give the rest to whom ever you choose. That way they cant say you didnt give them anything!!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19825 Posts
        Posted: May 29, 2015, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

So I was talking casually to a coworker today and asked him if he was going to buy any tickets since the jackpots were both pretty high. His response was that he never played the lottery nor would he ever, because with that much money he'd lose half his friends and half his family because they would probably expect a cut.

It never occurred to me that someone would rather never be a millionaire for that reason. I told him that at least you'd know who were truly your friends and which relatives really cared. 

Is this a legitimate concern for anyone else? Would you prefer never to win a big jackpot for fear of losing one's friends over your new financial status? 

I just hope his family and friends realize and appreciate the chances he gave up just to make them happy.  While I would never do the same for my family and friends if I ever did win and didn't want to discuss it with them I would tell them a similar story and hope they wouldn't bother me any more, if not then I would tell them where to go.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
          JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
          Member #141034
          April 2, 2013
          1408 Posts
          Posted: May 29, 2015, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

I like to know what that guy has been smoking. Maybe he is just a tightwad who doesn't like spending money on lottery tickets. I know some people like that. The question should have been, "If I win the jackpot and offer you $1M, will you take it?". If he says yes, then he is full of it.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
            Happy California
            United States
            Member #157856
            August 2, 2014
            1513 Posts
            Posted: May 29, 2015, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

Alex1986, "rich people don't go to heaven" must be tested against what your Holy book says. In the Bible there are plenty of rich people who died and went to heaven, especially the rulers of Israel.

"The LOVE of money is the root of many evils". 

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of the needle then it is for a rich man to go to heaven." This eye of the needle means, there was a passage through the walls of Jerusalem that when a fully loaded camel and it's owner came to the wall of Jerusalem they would have to unload the camel and then have the camel shimmy it's way through this "eye of the needle". This occured after dark when the main gates were closed.

Good Luck to all LP members playing MM & PB !!

++-

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: May 29, 2015, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

So I was talking casually to a coworker today and asked him if he was going to buy any tickets since the jackpots were both pretty high. His response was that he never played the lottery nor would he ever, because with that much money he'd lose half his friends and half his family because they would probably expect a cut.

It never occurred to me that someone would rather never be a millionaire for that reason. I told him that at least you'd know who were truly your friends and which relatives really cared. 

Is this a legitimate concern for anyone else? Would you prefer never to win a big jackpot for fear of losing one's friends over your new financial status? 

I would definitely not quit playing the lottery for fear of losing family or friends if I won. I figure if my win causes people to lose someone because they expected something that wasn't theirs, then I guess we weren't really close to begin with.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

south el monte
                United States
                Member #154982
                May 4, 2014
                64 Posts
                Posted: May 29, 2015, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

That used to scare me when i was married. Still scares me for the child support i would be taken to court for  , even though  i got  the kids but im sure she would want them back for the money. 

I don't have friends to begin with, so that wouldn't bother me. 

I already have my circle of family right now. 3 kids and my dad . 4 people.  4 people my kids being 3 of them and they would be only people in my family that would be taken care of obviously.

everyone else cant get a dime of my hypothetical money. bring on the hate everyone else, wont even care.

LuckySmalls's avatar - Lottery-025.jpg
                  Arizona
                  United States
                  Member #163317
                  January 26, 2015
                  11 Posts
                  Posted: May 29, 2015, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

I would not be in fear of losing friends or family either, but I also don't have anyone else to really worry about. I don't have kids so its easy for me to say. Family to me is just my mom as of now. I haven't really talked to anyone else as they have their own life and such. It used to be that we talked to family and kept up with them but they are all really weird now and self-centered, just like most people. Its not a bad thing, I just wouldn't give them money if they expected it. I would rather give my money to a charity then to my other relatives who have done some selfish things in the past just so they are financially superior. I'd do the same, and it would make me feel good to turn them down because that is what they have done in the past to me.

Just because a lottery jackpot win isn't earned money through means of education and career path, It is still money. People have this outlook on money that it has to be earned to mean anything, but I think that "Hey, if its money won or found its still money I can use even though didn't work for it".

I guess this also goes with the concept that money is the root of all evil, but it is the love of money that is the root of all evil to be correct. Someone also mentioned that here. Money is energy as all other things are, I was listening to an audio on this and how to change perspective on the way money is perceived in culture to potentially have it come more abundant in my life. I think that if I worked on my thoughts and perspective about money as with anyone else who works on it, if it is worked on consistently enough everyday for a number of months or for however long it takes to manifest then it will indeed happen. I've definitely had it happen before, I'm still working on the big win though. ;)

Quit while you’re ahead. All the best gamblers do. -Baltasar Gracián y Morales

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                    Member #142499
                    May 13, 2013
                    1182 Posts
                    Posted: May 29, 2015, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

Lol harrods shoe dept. sure sounds good to me. Hahahahaha.

I would like to see that show Lucky.  I have seen firsthand how families fight over money, inheritances etc. and it never ceases to amaze me the things people will do.  Not something I will have to worry about at this point in my life lol.

If I was a winner and my family was jealous of my winning because they didnt win, then that is on them.  I hopefully, would have done what I felt was right.   I am a homebody, getting older i dont want the drama, just a peaceful, financially secure life until I am called home.  After I am gone let the fireworks begin if they dont like how the trust was set up. 

Actually, I remember one California woman who won the lottery with a group of coworkers said she lost her childhood friend when she won.   The friend had the issue with her win so I guess you are right.

Just let me win and I will try to deal with it lol.  Good luck all who play, regardless of the jackpot.

I think Lucky is the best lottery documentary made. Much better than Millions. But while Millions is on YouTube, the only place I could find Lucky was on Amazon. $2.99 to stream it for 3 days. The guy whose relatives won't talk to him, has a neighbor who is jealous. The neighbor admits she's resentful that they won and she didn't. Which is a shame because the man's wife and this neighbor used to be friends. Eventually they just moved away to a mansion on the water in Florida. They seem pretty happy regardless of the lost relationships.

I saw another winner (on another show) say that you have to be prepared to make new friends, because chances are your lifestyles and things you had in common will change. You might want to go on vacation, they can't because they have to work. You want to go out to dinner or catch a game, they say no because money is tight and they won't accept your charity. Or worse, they're up for going everywhere with you as long as you ALWAYS foot the bill, whereas before you'd split the tab. Either way there are a lot of awkward situations that slowly erode the friendship. I can see that. Difference is, I don't care. 

If I have to make new friends so be it. I've been doing that at periodic intervals since kindergarten.

spark08's avatar - chipmunk

Bahamas
                      Member #150665
                      December 28, 2013
                      20 Posts
                      Posted: June 1, 2015, 10:27 am - IP Logged

No way. All the hell I,ve been through in life, if i have a chance I'm

going to take it. That's why if I win I will opt to remain anonymous!

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                        Member #142499
                        May 13, 2013
                        1182 Posts
                        Posted: June 1, 2015, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

I think about who would be my friends after the fact but that doesnt deter me, because I know who my friends are now.

Don't be too sure. It's usually the one you trust the most that betrays you.

Segue, I read about this new-to-the-spotlight celebrity who kept seeing gossip stories being written about her with information from a close "source" to her. All her friends denied going to the media. So she told each one of them a different story but pretended that she'd told everyone else in the group each story, then waited to see which story would appear in the tabloids. And that's how she figured out who was the rat. Moral, your closest and most trusted friend is the one you never see as the enemy until it's too late.

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                          Northern Virginia
                          United States
                          Member #83350
                          December 5, 2009
                          1315 Posts
                          Posted: June 2, 2015, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

I have other issues with Powerball and Mega Millions. Specifically, the prize payout scheme robs lower-tier prize winners. I can win more with much better odds by playing numbers games like the Pick 3 and the Pick 4.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!