Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 4:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

2nd place MM winner in Virginia-3 tickets

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 2 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #166751
June 6, 2015
17 Posts
Posted: June 6, 2015, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

Why  is there the assumption that one person bought 3 tickets when it could easily have been 3 different quick picks? I have noticed quick picks often have the same numbers except for one number difference. I would guess it was 3 different people with 3 different quick pick tickets, but ofcourse I could be wrong.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
    Member #121745
    January 16, 2012
    4806 Posts
    Posted: June 6, 2015, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Pepperjack...The tickets were all bought at the same store.

J'aime La France.

United States
      Member #166751
      June 6, 2015
      17 Posts
      Posted: June 6, 2015, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

Pepperjack...The tickets were all bought at the same store.

Yes, I know they were bought at the same store. As I said I have noticed quick picks often have the same numbers except for one number difference.  (this has been my experience when I have bought at the same store within the same minute or so.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10356 Posts
        Posted: June 6, 2015, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

Some people play partners and take turns buying the tickets. Maybe there were three people, one played a QP and got tickets for two others with the QP numbers.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
          Massachusetts
          United States
          Member #37433
          April 14, 2006
          2747 Posts
          Posted: June 6, 2015, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I know they were bought at the same store. As I said I have noticed quick picks often have the same numbers except for one number difference.  (this has been my experience when I have bought at the same store within the same minute or so.

The odds of the same RNG terminal spitting out 3 MM tickets with the correct white balls are;

1/18.49M*1/18.49M*1/18.49M.

Hit With Stick

That money's gone fo ever

Arizona
            United States
            Member #165073
            March 24, 2015
            220 Posts
            Posted: June 6, 2015, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

The odds of the same RNG terminal spitting out 3 MM tickets with the correct white balls are;

Hit With Stick

That's if it's a true random number generator. Some of the anecdata I've seen suggests that in some states, they use bad pseudorandom number generators instead.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19831 Posts
              Posted: June 7, 2015, 1:09 am - IP Logged

Hit With Stick

Virginia Lottery Media Center is following this story closely.  I'm sure when the three tickets bought at Kangaroo Express, 891 Temple Avenue in Colonial Heights are claimed the person who brought them will be identified.  Although it was implied that a single person may have brought them they didn't say if all three were brought around the same time, that kind of information is not released because it's probably used to verify the winner.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                Member #166751
                June 6, 2015
                17 Posts
                Posted: June 7, 2015, 7:26 am - IP Logged

Everyone here has good points. What would be most interesting to me--- is not whether it was the same person or not, but whether those 3 winning tickets were quick picks, or self picks. As I am sure some people know you can get a combination ticket where you pick one part of the number and let the machine do the rest. It depends how you fill out the slip.  So for example I might have a favorite powerball number and pick that number on the slip but mark off quick pick for the remaining 5 numbers.== so the winning tickets here could be self picked,  all quick picks--- or partially quick picked. I wonder if the VA lottery will even release a picture of the tickets because they might not want us to know if they were all quick picks :)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19831 Posts
                  Posted: June 7, 2015, 11:30 am - IP Logged

Everyone here has good points. What would be most interesting to me--- is not whether it was the same person or not, but whether those 3 winning tickets were quick picks, or self picks. As I am sure some people know you can get a combination ticket where you pick one part of the number and let the machine do the rest. It depends how you fill out the slip.  So for example I might have a favorite powerball number and pick that number on the slip but mark off quick pick for the remaining 5 numbers.== so the winning tickets here could be self picked,  all quick picks--- or partially quick picked. I wonder if the VA lottery will even release a picture of the tickets because they might not want us to know if they were all quick picks :)

I'm sure if it turns out one person brought all three s/he will have some strange strategy that no one but s/he understands.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                    Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #37433
                    April 14, 2006
                    2747 Posts
                    Posted: June 7, 2015, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure if it turns out one person brought all three s/he will have some strange strategy that no one but s/he understands.

My guess would be that a customer went to the store and filled a bet slip. The store clerk fed the slip to the machine and the machine probably jammed making the clerk hit the "enter" button more than once.  This resulted in 3 tickets being printed. The customer hopefully rejected the extra 2 lines and the unfortunate clerk is now very fortunate.

All rights reserved to this idle imagination Jester

That money's gone fo ever

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10356 Posts
                      Posted: June 7, 2015, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

pepperjack,

Not all states have the combination option. I'm not sure about Virginia but I know Illinois and Missouri don't have it.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                        Member #166751
                        June 6, 2015
                        17 Posts
                        Posted: June 7, 2015, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

Here is how you do it for picking your favorite PB number--- pick the number and draw your X on the one number.  (where you choose 1 through 35)...Then in the section where you are supposed to fill in 5 numbers  draw the x  in the QP box... try that  in your sate if you are curious to see if that works. Maybe that only works in some states but I think it would work in any. But as always,  my disclaimer is I could be wrong.

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10356 Posts
                          Posted: June 7, 2015, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

The upper and lower matrixes are two separate entities. You can do a QP for both, or a QP for either one.

Someone once posted on here that in some state you could 'mix and match' your numbers and a QP within the same matrix, not sure where.

Let's say you're playing a 5/39 game and you mark 25 and 30 and let the terminal pick the other three.

But on PB and MM each game has two matrixes and the play slips are self-explanatory.

Lep

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4806 Posts
                            Posted: June 7, 2015, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

We shall all see who claims it...hopefully soon. I think it was someone gunning for the 2nd tier but

was not smart enough to know about the multiplier.

J'aime La France.

United States
                              Member #153935
                              March 29, 2014
                              29 Posts
                              Posted: June 7, 2015, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

My guess would be that a customer went to the store and filled a bet slip. The store clerk fed the slip to the machine and the machine probably jammed making the clerk hit the "enter" button more than once.  This resulted in 3 tickets being printed. The customer hopefully rejected the extra 2 lines and the unfortunate clerk is now very fortunate.

All rights reserved to this idle imagination Jester

I Agree!